AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone I stumbled across this site and am very excited, I have been reading now for awhile, anyways I look forward to everyones ideas and insite,

in the meantime, I have an ongoing debate, I am starting my home theater project in a couple weeks, I have a first floor garage that is 3 cars deep and 3 cars wide, and a 10 foot ceiling. along the garage is a hallway that runs the length of the garage, and has its own door for entry I figured that would be a perfect theater. my room is going to be 17 by 26. on the back wall of the theater. I want to put an 8ft aquarium that will be flush on both sides (the hallway and the theater. I have heard alot of arguments and am curious to hear what eveyone thinks here.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I would not use an aquarium in the theater room if you are using a M&K subwoofer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would recommend against having an aquarium exposed in the theater, that is, where the aquarium is exposed to lights going “on-off-on-off” and noise vibrations are of theater-level intensity - especially if this is a salt-water installation.

These salt-water critters are extremely delicate, simple, and fragile things. “When it gets dark, they sleep” and “when it gets light, they wake-up”. Erratic light and noise vibrations are horrible things to subject these reef-critters to. :)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
is it open into the room? I wouldn't do it way to noisy. you almost cant hear dialog under normal volume.

Built into the wall with all the equipment in adjacent room. It would not be an issue. Your fish however, would be a little disturbed/stressed out from the sound.

About the sub, brand is irrelevant. High output sub might be an structural issue for the aquarium seal over time.

I used to have a 110 gal salt water aquarium in my living room. When I sold it I could not believe how loud it was.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
There was another thread like this a few months back. Do a search on "aquarium" or "salt" or "reef". I moved my 75G reef setup upstairs when I put in my HT in the basement. Here are the problems you could (will) run into if you have an aquarium in the same room as your HT esp if it is saltwater:

- noise from the aquarium, pumps, ballast, filters, skimmers, overflows.

- light control esp if you are running Halides or equivalent

- moisture from evaporation

- power - unless you have dedicated lines, I can't see the ballasts and pumps doing you good.

- and of course the fish and esp corals - they like stable environments.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the response everyone, the biggest arguement is stressing out the fish with the sound pressure, I plan on running two klipsch rw 12's, I thought about the light set up and already decided that if I was going to do it I would use a shade on the theater side, it is going to be a salt water set up, I have a 2 foot shark I am going have in it. and a couple others, as far as the noise from the pumps and motors it will be inside the wall as well and am going to have a trap door set up on the hallway side for servicing, and lastly for evaporation, I am sealing off the wall with green paper and silicone, with all this in mind everyone still thinks this is not a good idea.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have fishtanks EVERYWHERE.. in and all around the home theater. I have all Cichlids in about 1200gal of tanks (I will try to post some pics in my gallery)

I listen to movies and music LOUD!...120db sometimes! (not sustained!) I have two subs and all my glass is still in one piece.

If they were stressed they would show it and stop reproducing .. they havent! anyone want some Cichlid fry!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
beautiful thanks guys, I talked to my friend today and he is a dj and a mini duce bigelow, and he said absolutely no problem. he is a dj, studying marine biology, and has 6 saltwater tanks, all 125+ gallons, he said he has 3 15 in, subs in his basement where he spins, and the fish adapted and are not bothered at all. he even said his puffer fish, get excited like dogs when he walks down the stairs. when he starts mixing, they dont seem to care at all, his shark just chills at the bottom no worries. so he said its a go. thanks to all that helped. especially the brenden and PiDD I am intereted in some pics if you got em.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.