AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have been following the Super Bowl Party Mylar thread at all, you know that thanks to dbroome's original concept, I was able to make one.

Well, it went so well, that I have now created a "Now Showing:" mylar that you are welcome to add to a lightbox near you.

FYI: it is the "large" mylar size and measures 5.25" x 25 and it fits perfectly in my lightbox.

I created it on PaintShopPro, but because my local Kinkos doesn't have PSP, I converted it to a .tif file with no side effects.

Kinkos printed it on white paper with their extra large printer for the mere cost of $10.70

Though it is on paper instead of plastic, the light shines through the letters just right.

Here is a photo of it with my SB mylar. The actual PSP file and .tif files are too big for me to attach via the forum, so I will email them to dbroome and hopefully he will post it in this thread from an FTP site.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a close up photo of just the "Now Showing:" mylar...

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks dbroome!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Markito: very good job. That looks great!

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
very nice work..

brickie

·
Registered
180 Posts
Is paper the best thing to print on? Or is there a transparency material for inkjets?

I tried taping 2 pieces of transparency (but was for laser printers), and printed a sign, that on day 2 1/2 has still not dried!

Pierre

·
Registered
296 Posts
There is transparency material made for inkjet printers. You need to use inkjet transparencies for inkjets and laser for laser. Ink may never dry on the laser transparencies (at least not without smudging/running) and you will likely burn black scorch marks into inkjet transparencies if you run them through a laser printer.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Wow; that looks great! Where can one purchase the frame to hold mylar signs like that?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Markito, what version of PSP did you use to create that? I tried opening the nowshowing.psp file in Paint Shop Pro 4 but it doesn't recognize that file format. But, I have PSP version 8 on the way, and I'm hoping it will be recognized in that version.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Markito,

Thanks for making this available to the forum. That's awesome.

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott-C
Markito, what version of PSP did you use to create that? I tried opening the nowshowing.psp file in Paint Shop Pro 4 but it doesn't recognize that file format. But, I have PSP version 8 on the way, and I'm hoping it will be recognized in that version.
Scott,

I used Paint Shop Pro 7. But if folks want the "Now Showing:" mylar just as it is, they can just download the .tif version, save it to a floppy and take it to Kinkos as is. The .tif is ready to print with no changes needed.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott-C
Wow; that looks great! Where can one purchase the frame to hold mylar signs like that?
Scott-C,

You don't wanna know...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=352188

It was Hell until I finally got it, but now I LOVE it.

On another note, dbroome makes excellent and very reasonable lightboxes. I am very happy with the one he made for me.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the kind responses everyone. At first when no one replied, I just figured that I was the only one who cared about a mylar like that. I'm glad that I can share something with all of you since I have gotten so much out of this forum (including addiction, debt, etc.) :)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally posted by pierreb
Is paper the best thing to print on? Or is there a transparency material for inkjets?

I tried taping 2 pieces of transparency (but was for laser printers), and printed a sign, that on day 2 1/2 has still not dried!
I had Kinkos do mine on paper and it looks really good. Looks just like a normal mylar to me and the light shines through perfectly. I see no need to use transparency or plastic. I suppose you could use paper and then laminate it, but the laminate would probably look bubbly and look far worse than just the paper.

I say, just take the .tif to Kinkos, tell them that you want it on white paper and that they will have to use their extra large printer. It should cost you just $10.70.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Quote:
Scott-C,

You don't wanna know...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...threadid=352188

It was Hell until I finally got it, but now I LOVE it.

On another note, dbroome makes excellent and very reasonable lightboxes. I am very happy with the one he made for me.
Markito, I just read of your "odyssey" getting that lightbox from eBay. I'm sorry you had to go through that! At least you got the box, however. I may look into having dbroome make me one; still thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
EXCELLENT WORK!!

Any chance of you resizing this down to fit the "Medium" size??

Greg

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good question.

What are the measurements for a medium? I'm a "large" guy, so I've never looked into the medium.

Give me the measurements and I can try to do a "resize" in PaintShopPro and see if the ratio stays.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
AFAIK, same height (5") different length -- 13"

Greg

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In that case, yes it is totally doable.

I will just chop six inches off each end. And thus make the font a little smaller. Would you like the font to stay red? Or a different color?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.