AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided on the Calman software to calibrate my UK JVC HD350.

However, I am currently using an X Rite i1LT bough a couple of years ago and am looking to upgrade to the new i1 Display 3.

The problem I have is that X Rite have gone 'all funny' with their lock or whatever you want to call it so that retail versions of their product don't work in 3rd party providers such as chromapure and calman. Only the oem versions will work.

Does anyone know where I might get supplied with a meter to work with the Calman but is sourced in UK as if it goes wrong I don't want to send it to US for fixing.

Hopefully someone from Calman will see this

Thanks

Stu

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
Currently, there are only 2 sources of the OEM i1D3, and those are SpectraCal (CalMAN) and ChromaPure, both in the US. You may want to contact SpectraCal to see if they have a stocking dealer in the UK.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 /forum/post/20818179

UK? If you aren't stuck on CalMan (don't know why you would be), go here and send a PM to RICKYJ about a Chromapure/i1Display Pro combo. Pricing in post number 6.

Been talking to Rickyj too

Presumably buying an oem meter from chromapure will still work with calman due to the simple fact that it is oem?

Actually I am getting both if truth be known I am drawn to the auto cal of the chromapure but the calman is hugely expensive

·
Registered
11,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain1 /forum/post/20819554

Been talking to Rickyj too

Presumably buying an oem meter from chromapure will still work with calman due to the simple fact that it is oem?

Actually I am getting both if truth be known I am drawn to the auto cal of the chromapure but the calman is hugely expensive

Ask SpectraCAL if you need to buy a Colorimeter Add-On License to operate the OEM meter (bought from other ventor) with CalMAN.

At this time if you buy a OEM iD3 from SpectraCAL, the colorimeter add-on licence is included to the meter price.

Colorimeter Add-On Costs 129$.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain1 /forum/post/20817183

I have decided on the Calman software to calibrate my UK JVC HD350.

However, I am currently using an X Rite i1LT bough a couple of years ago and am looking to upgrade to the new i1 Display 3.

The problem I have is that X Rite have gone 'all funny' with their lock or whatever you want to call it so that retail versions of their product don't work in 3rd party providers such as chromapure and calman. Only the oem versions will work.

Does anyone know where I might get supplied with a meter to work with the Calman but is sourced in UK as if it goes wrong I don't want to send it to US for fixing.

Hopefully someone from Calman will see this

Thanks

Stu

If the meter dies or goes bad, then it would be replaced. I can't imagine a situation where you would get a meter "repaired".

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Hold your horses.

I've got an i1 Display that I've had for several years using it to calibrate my computer monitors. It came with the i Match software from Gretag McBeth.

I was planing on buying Calman and using this same pod.

So what you're saying is that it won't work on either Calman or ChromaPure without purchasing an additional license????

Just saying, if that's true, it sucks.....saying it in advance.

·
Registered
654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP /forum/post/20824354

Hold your horses.

I've got an i1 Display that I've had for several years using it to calibrate my computer monitors. It came with the i Match software from Gretag McBeth.

So what you're saying is that it won't work on either Calman or ChromaPure without purchasing an additional license????

Capitalist society my friend!

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP /forum/post/20824354

Hold your horses.

The standard i1 Display 2 (or LT) is supported in CalMAN at no additional fee.

The new i1 Display Pro only the OEM version will work in CalMAN due to X-Rite licensing restrictions. The version we sell that works with our software comes with all requisite licenses.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
sotti,

Thanks for responding.

This isn't the i1 Display pro.

It's the (and I have it in front of me) i1 Display that predated the i1 Display 2. Its model number 36.88.32 REV A.

Using the iMatch software that's intended for computer monitor calibration, I was able to skip several steps and go to what amounts to white point calibration. It had D65 (through coordinates) as well as 6500K. I had pretty good results using it but want the ability to also do individual primary and secondary colors.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain1
Hi,

So the licence comes with the colorimeter at $295? so you get colorimeter and licence key to unlock Calman for that price?

Thanks

Stu
Yes it does.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP
sotti,

Thanks for responding.

This isn't the i1 Display pro.

It's the (and I have it in front of me) i1 Display that predated the i1 Display 2. Its model number 36.88.32 REV A.

Using the iMatch software that's intended for computer monitor calibration, I was able to skip several steps and go to what amounts to white point calibration. It had D65 (through coordinates) as well as 6500K. I had pretty good results using it but want the ability to also do individual primary and secondary colors.
Yes even the original i1 Display is supported in the base CalMAN license.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/20825820

Yes even the original i1 Display is supported in the base CalMAN license.

Not trying to split hairs, but what you're saying is that I can buy just the software for $200 and be able to use the i1 Display without any further expenditure? I don't have to buy the unlock key or anything else?

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP /forum/post/20825887

Not trying to split hairs, but what you're saying is that I can buy just the software for $200 and be able to use the i1 Display without any further expenditure? I don't have to buy the unlock key or anything else?

Yes that would be a functional setup.

Depending on what other hardware you want to use in the future you can continue to upgrade the license if you wanted to buy a i1 Display Pro, or really go for it and get a pattern generator.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can vouch for the fact that I have seen a working version of calman using and i1 display 2, only the latest version (3) has licensing restrictions imposed by xRite so need the key to unlock this with calman. It is not necessary to have such a key for the display 2 meter.

The main reason I want to get the 3 is that is seems like a serious piece of kit and would expect to have a greater degree of accuracy thatn the display 2. The funny thing is of course in our quest for perfection the percentage points less than perfection probably go unnoticed by the majority of users.

I am also quite fortunate that I have the lumagen radiance which can be directly linked to the calman software providing even greater flexibility and accuracy

·
Registered
17,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/20825955

Yes that would be a functional setup.

Depending on what other hardware you want to use in the future you can continue to upgrade the license if you wanted to buy a i1 Display Pro, or really go for it and get a pattern generator.

Good deal.

Thanks

·
Registered
17,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain1 /forum/post/20826080

I can vouch for the fact that I have seen a working version of calman using and i1 display 2, only the latest version (3) has licensing restrictions imposed by xRite so need the key to unlock this with calman. It is not necessary to have such a key for the display 2 meter.

The main reason I want to get the 3 is that is seems like a serious piece of kit and would expect to have a greater degree of accuracy thatn the display 2. The funny thing is of course in our quest for perfection the percentage points less than perfection probably go unnoticed by the majority of users.

I am also quite fortunate that I have the lumagen radiance which can be directly linked to the calman software providing even greater flexibility and accuracy

I had a color lab in my photography studio so I'm somewhat familiar with how accurate some calibration equipment can be. I have found that even with very good equipment, its not uncommon to do the last little bit by eyeballing it. I wouldn't make the assumption that any of this equipment will do 100% but getting you in the correct ball field may be the best you can hope for.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.