Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys think.

I was in the market for a 50''DLP or a 50''Plasma. After following thsi page for about 2 weeks i have decided to just buy a 36 Wega until I can afford a better 50'' plasma. Most of the good 50'' Plasmas are about 6500-7500 and i am not willing to pay more than 4500.

I also think that a 4500-5000 TV should be a 5-7 yr investment and i dont think that the technology has settled and there just arent enough HD channels available for me to justify a 5000 TV. Most of our viewing will be regular Sat signal or DVds, so since very few channels are HD for now, I cant see paying 5000 or so to watch OK reception on a HD capable TV.

What do you guys think..

Please share any thoughts or suggestions..

Thank you..

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've considered the same option myself. My choice, so far, has been to keep saving my money and putting up with my craptacular 11 year old 27" JVC tube. My goal is likewise a 50" plasma, though I am more hopeful that this summer and fall will see more new models and maturation of the market that will bode well for Christmas 2003. Meanwhile, I invested this past Christmas in a set top box to go with my old rooftop Channel Master Yagi antenna (plus a progressive scan Panasonic DVD player). I'm getting all the networks plus PBS via a Samsung SIR-T165 from my home (in Virginia about 25 miles southwest of Washington, DC). So.... when that HD capable 50" plasma comes in (got a spot on the wall all measured for it :>), I'll be ready to enjoy it's full capabilities from day one. I'm thinking perhaps the successor to the current Panny line (with HDCP-compliant DVI input).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with you guys. I've been "shopping" for a 43"+ plasma for several months now and the very limited availability of HD programming ( I have comcast digital cable and get only 7 HD channels) does not justify me spending $5000 on a plasma.

Hopefully, once HD programming becomes more available and Panasonic releases their new model line-up with DVI-HDCP this fall then Plasma would be more appealing.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hokie24drg
I agree with you guys. I've been "shopping" for a 43"+ plasma for several months now and the very limited availability of HD programming ( I have comcast digital cable and get only 7 HD channels) does not justify me spending $5000 on a plasma.

Hopefully, once HD programming becomes more available and Panasonic releases their new model line-up with DVI-HDCP this fall then Plasma would be more appealing.
Only 7 HD channels eh? Your definition of "very limited availability" of HD programming doesn't coincide with mine. I got my first hd set when all I could receive was HBO-HD (mostly upconverts at the time), a directv promo channel, and a few programs a week on CBS.

Over the past month or so, I've been watching in HD the NHL and NBA playoffs, the Masters, the Academy Awards, a host of movies, and a bunch of unique programming choices from HDNet (I loved yesterday's travelogue about Spain). To my amazement, HDNet even has me watching MLS soccer in high-def.

Maybe its because I used to go weeks without any HD but I no longer complain about the lack of programming. My viewing time is pretty much limited to after the kid goes to bed. But on most days, I'm mainly watching HD programming between 8:30 and 11:00. Yes, it will be better in the future but the present aint too bad.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm having the same problem for different reasons. It's not so much the expense, but rather the amazing number of issues with plasma. Ive been reading this forum for many months, have been tempted to pull the trigger, and then read a fresh post with a new issue. For example, I had already ordered the 503 from Mike's Store, with a 25% dscnt !, but started reading about more humming problems. I canceled.

It reminds me of the time I really wanted a Range Rover. I kept test driving and test driving, trying to MAKE myself like. I couldn't. Just too many build quality issues. Great looks, though - just like plasmas.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Your overlooking one big plus- DVDs. This alone is worth the purchase. HD programing is just the icing on the cake.

Good luck with your decision though.

Dave

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have the 42" Panny HD plasma and very satisfied with it at a viewing distance of 15 feet. The wide screen format itself improve the visual experience and the vivid color and clarity of plasma on HDTV and Progressive DVD just blows me away. I even watched Scoopy-Doo on HBOHD with my kids yesterday bec. I can't resists the beautiful picture. In the past I just walk away and do my own things when my kids watch those programs on a 36" CRT TV. I may upgrade in a few years for a bigger flat panel TV but I am happy with what I have now and no regrets what-so-ever!:)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm looking at about the same viewing distance (~15', maybe a foot or two more) myself, and I'm a little concerned about how a 42" would look. I can't help but think it would be too small. Anyone else out there at a similar distance? Just trying to get a better feel. Do most people at that distance have a 50"?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
42" plasma would be a good compromise. 42" is dramatically bigger than a 36" tube and only costs about $1,000 more. When 50" becomes more reasonable you can move the 42" to the bedroom.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah the 42" would probably be big enough. They look really small in the store compared to the bigger screens but it will look huge on your wall.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The actual dimension of my 42" plasma including the 1 inch bezel is 40" wide and 24" tall. If you cut out a piece of cart board of that size and put it on your wall it is not small at all. The plasma has a very sharp and bright picture. I can see all small fine prints of letters or numbers at 20 feet without any problems. What I meant is that it is adequate for most people. This is an A/V enthusiasts forum and people tend to go to the higher end of equipment. If you go to a sports car forum,most people will have cars souped to 300-500 horsepower and you will think a 240 horsepower car can only crawl!:)

·
Registered
981 Posts
I don't know why 42/43 inchers became a standard widescreen size, but this size will give you a 36 inch 4:3 picture, as you had before.

But then on DVDs you get a significantly larger picture, and, as noted, incredibly beautiful. I drooled when I put in Lord of the Rings on my new plasma.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My 0.02 fwiw.

Get a 42/43". I wanted a 50 also (the usual Pio or Pana).

Kept looking and looking to try to get a good deal. Drove myself and others crazy.

Finally saw a deal on a 43" from a place in Texas that was too good to miss - but then haven't we all said that at some time. Bought that and a $200 progressive scan DVD player (the XP-30).

When it came, it replaced a 32" Sony. The improvement for DVDs was staggering - I can't think of any superlatives that do it justice. Plasma monitors do not look anything like they do in the chain stores when they have been set up properly. I know I don't look at it and think I wish I had got the 50, and I thought I would.

It was so good in fact I had to buy a new receiver (and now I want a new sub, and new l/r mains and new surrounds and and...)

When 50" plasmas become a commodity item (2-3k), I'll upgrade (but of course I'll want a 63 by then). Until then I get to enjoy almost exactly what I wanted, rather than a total compromise. The difference btw this and a 36" CRT amortised over a couple of years really isn't that much...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Also FWIW, I have the 43" Pioneer. I always hated how zoomed 4x3 material looked on 16x9 screens but I must say that I have no problems with Pioneer's Full mode. Yes, I may lose some info on the sides but the geometry looks pretty darn good to me (i.e., no short and dumpy looking people). Wathing 4x3 material in this mode results in a much bigger screen size over my 36" 4x3 set even for standard def programming.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mlewie
...but I must say that I have no problems with Pioneer's Full mode. Yes, I may lose some info on the sides but the geometry looks pretty darn good to me (i.e., no short and dumpy looking people). ...
Are you sure you mean Full mode? I thought that Full mode wouldn't chop anything off the side and people would look short and dumpy. Do you mean Wide mode?

Thanks,

John Flegert

·
Registered
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jflegert
Are you sure you mean Full mode? I thought that Full mode wouldn't chop anything off the side and people would look short and dumpy. Do you mean Wide mode?

Thanks,

John Flegert
You may be right, I can't be sure without being in front of the set. In any event, the 433 provides one stretch mode that works just fine for me so that I don't have any desire to watch letterboxed 4x3 material. Note, however, that I haven't been able to find a way to stretch 4x3 over-the-air programming thats transmitted in the 16x9 format. I have to watch such programming with the black vertical bars sent by the broadcaster.

I have not hooked up analog cable to the 433 so I can't speak on its ability to display such material. My guess is it depends on how clean the input signal is. I have directv and some standard def channels look very good to my eyes. Most of these tend to fall in the category of middle tier to upper tier "cable channels". The biggest problems that I've seen on directv are with the local channels (especially the non-network affiliates) those dedicated to showing sporting events through the various sports packages (i.e., NBA season pass, etc). These can look very compressed with a lot of motion artifacts. To me, the quality (or lack thereof) can varies between simply annoying and unwatchable. However, it never seems to bother my wife.

My plasma is set up in a sitting area adjoining my bedroom. It is mostly used for prime time and late night viewing -- a lot of HD and DVDs. I'm very happy with its performance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.