AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello I live in small disabled apartment, which will more than likely, will be my apartment for the next 20 years. I sit across from my present Sharp 32 inch tv which has a depth of 20 inches. The Toshiba 40H80 had a depth of 18.5 inches and the Matsusita 46-7608 has a 25 inches depth. I sit in my 'day' lounger 6 feet from my Sharp tv. Which of the above could my regular 20/20 vision eyes get used to viewing?

Repeat, Could I get used to viewing a wide screen format., from my wide screen DVD movies. Eventually a component video from vga adapter HTPC. I measured my own tv from wall by measuring tape not ruler. The other depths were provided by manufacturer the Toshiba is a 40 wide screen and Mitsubishi is a 46 inch wide screen. If you say the mitsubishi, understand the 46 widescreen will be 5 inches closer and 46 inches wide HDTV projection

if it measured diagnally it will be 39 inches across.

I have found that taking 7 inches off of the diagonal figure gives you the almost exact measure of a 4:3 TV I have never seen a W.S in person just in pictures on web sites or in magazines. Unfortunatly I can only get out one time by wheelchair van to view both of these TV's (I need some help here from you able persons to take a tape measure and take the correct width of the inside glass of a wide screen tv from the diagonal measure on the specification sheet) Please lend your judgement, we all see with eyes 'not' the color of our skin, so anyones opinion here counts. TIA

------------------

[This message has been edited by lassy (edited 05-06-2001).]

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
A widescreen is a nice option. What city do you live in and what kind of programming do you watch? Do you own a DVD player. Do you plan on adding a DVD player or High Def. receiver of some kind?

Dave

------------------

Watch HDTV!!! Nothing else comes close!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Have you considered a front projector tv (FPTV)? This would solve your depth problem completely and give you much larger screen possibilities. For example I have a 110" display from my projector, I installed a stewart luxus deluex screen which wall mounts and sticks out off the wall ~4" and requires no floor space. If you decide to project off the wall or install a retractable screen you loose no usable depth.

Regards,

Brian

[This message has been edited by btmoore (edited 05-06-2001).]

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave I own 2 Sony Cx series DVD

changers one 200 and the other 300

I haven't watched any progamming at all for past 3 years. I just watched the wide screen version of

Zardoz starring Sean Connery.

I am looking foward to all of my wide screen being bigger than my present Sharp 32" with a 25.5 inch viewing width. I have already put an order in for a vga to component adapter $129 for 1+ gig computer.

Only this time, after all is in place, I not going to look back at kidietv.net anymore. Have a swell work week Dave, cheers.

------------------

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brian I can't hammer a nail into the wall, that's in my lease. I live in a Elderly and Diasabled apartment building, just built in 1999.

I guess they want to keep it that way, newish for the 57 small apartments in it, yeah 57 thats all in one 3 story building.

I am lucky in one way a disabled apartment is their biggest, 1 to each of the 3 floors, no basement.

------------------

·
Registered
779 Posts
No nails? That will make for some very dull walls.

You don't require a screen if you have a flat whiteish wall you can project on. They do make screen stands but then you are going to start taking up depth again, granted not nearly the area that a TV would but space all the same. I have seen where a lot of people in apartments don't mount the projectors they just place them on shelves. Assuming that space is an issue, if you were lucky you might be able to place all your AV equipment on one shelf and have a very small equipment footprint. You might want to spend some time in the projector forums, IMO if you want widescreen projectors are wonderful things.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
396 Posts
An easy and pretty accurate way to estimate the screen dimensions of widescreens set's; is the height is 1/2 the diagonal measurement and the width is 7/8 the diagonal measurement.

For a 40" set, this would give you an estimate of 20" high and 35" wide.

the actual dimensions are 19.6" height and 34.9" width.

With High Definition sets the recommended viewing distance is at least 3x screen height. So if you were at least five feet away from the screen for the forty inch set you should be able to get used to it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BT I can't go with a projector, I have no shelves as it's on our lease that you can't even drive a nail into the wall. I have already the manager knows it, but they are assuming I will be here for the next 30 years. They are correct, how can you beat a rent of $354 a month including heat. hot water, and garbage. The apartment has wide doors for my wide wheel chair. I have lost the weight in 1992.

The wide wheel chair is comfy to sit in. My electric scooter top speed 4.5 MPH, crawlng on the floor is a lot 'slower' and more painful on the rough carpet we have. Sorry but it will be the Mitsu 40H80 or Matsu 46-7608. BT- I have to look at a reality, my being able to walk again is nearly impossible!

------------------

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Chad, I will remember that.

I am going 'out' next week to see in person for the first time a wide screen HDTV! I have to carted there in a rough riding wheel chair van my destination is the best electronics store the ABE area 24 miles one direction. Each of the Mitsu-40 and Matsu-46 are $1999 plus 6% sales tax($120) and 3=$30 delivery to my home.

Going by your measure the 46 would be aprox. 39.5 across, vertical would be 23 inches. I with my 32" square only have 25¾ of width in viewing with these WOW!

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.