AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been really getting into Jazz these last couple of years and I have just discovered a Charles Mingus album that I cant get over. It is called Nostalgia in Times Square. The song Moanin on it is fantastic.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed I am liking the Jazz. I find that I am somewhat old school though. I like Miles Davis and Coltrain. I think overall I prefer Jazz that sounds like its being played in a jazz club, has a ruff feel to it. I don't know if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
Cool jazz, later known as west coast jazz, of the sort prevalent on the '50s and '60s was great stuff. Stan Kenton, Dave Brubeck, The Modern Jazz Quartet, Jerry Mulligan, and Chet Baker were just a few of my favorites back in the day. There were many others, too, including the legendary Charley Mingus. That was also the heyday of the great jazz vocalists, Ella Fitzgerald and June Christy. I still love them all.

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
You do realize that Charles Mingus doesn't play on this album, right? It's a Mingus Big Band recording form 1993. Mingus died in 1979.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts