AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stick with the DTC100, my new Hughes looks like it **** the bed. Number 2. The first was the DST3000 and now the Hughes is for some reason deciding that it likes to take its time changing channels.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Having just completed an in-depth test of the Panasonic TU-HDS20 and Samsung SIR-T150 (vs. data compiled on older Panasonic, Sharp, Samsung, and the RCA set-top boxes), I can say this.

The TU-HDS20 is conservatively 6 dB more sensitive than the DTC-100 on all DTV channels. It is able to lock up on deliberately distorted 8VSB signals that the DTC-100 will not lock onto.

It also picks up weaker 8VSB signals that the DTC-100 cannot see (or hear?). This is, of course, due to it being a true second-generation STB with improved front end by Broadcomm.

The DirecTV menu does seem to slow things down - the tuner takes longer to "settle" on a given DTV station than the Samsung SIR-T150 (which is unimpeded by the presence of the DirecTV interface).

But, once both tuners lock on to a signal, they seem to lose it with the same amount of attenuation. In both cases, that's conservatively 6 dB more than is possible with the RCA box.

KC

·
Registered
209 Posts
I too am treading cautiously on changing my dtc-100. From all the posts that I have read here and on other forums, it seems as though the zenith may be the one to wait for

------------------

There is enough sadness in the world. Make someone smile today!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts

I have 3 RCA DTC-100s that have given my flawless performance. But I was hoping to upgrade to the Panny, then the Sony and now the Zenith. But I read the posts in this forum and I'm beginning to think of my RCAs like gold; that if I eplace them I'll end up rueing the day I do. Should I seek professional counselling for this?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I remember the looooong threads about people claiming/denying that the RCA was the best bang for the buck (sheesh, talk about rebates!!!) http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Personally, I'd wait and see what's next. If you already have dtc-100s, then it *may* not be worth an upgrade... not just yet.

If you don't own one yet and/or want to add another one to your collection, then the other newer STBs are worth a look.

My 2 cents,

MMAfia

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.