AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Sony 1272Q projector. I am getting a 106" screen this week. Someone said that I have to hook this thing up to a computer. I don't understand, but if I do what do I need to buy computer wise and what does it have to have installed? Thanks very much for any and all responses. I am truely lost now.

Will

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I assume that you had in mind just connecting a player to the Pj.

With that size image, you'll want to scale the image and deinterlace it.

What you want is an HTPC, a computer acting as a player. You can read

more here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=31225

If you have any question, don't hesitate to ask.

Nicholas

·
Registered
40 Posts
First off I have limited knowledge of CRT projectors and computers and make no claim to being an expert.

If you just plug a DVD player or VCR or other video source into the projector you will not be getting anywhere near the picture quality that your projector can deliver.

So what are you choices? You can use the S-vid input and a progressive scan DVD player, however with a screen that large scan lines will still be visible. You could use a video processor or you can use a computer.

You will have many advantages to using a computer with this projector:

1. You will be able to use the computer as a deinterlacer (using a program called Dscaler);

2. The computer will act as a scaler allowing you to change resolutions;

3. Custom timings and resolutions with a program called Powerstrip. This will allow you to match the projectors sweet spot;

4. You will have a choice of DVD software programs for DVD playback.

I’m sure I leaving a lot out and other people will jump in here. Most of the above was written as if you’re going to be using the projector for DVD playback. There are other considerations as well, OTA HDTV, DirecTV, Cable etc.

The 12xx Sony projectors are quite popular; you might try asking this in the CRT forum.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Lee.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.