AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a rookie obviously... any how. I have a home partially under construction and there are in-celing speakers everywhere. However I want to add in a few rooms. Bathroom is small, is it okay to just put one speaker in instead of a pair? If yes, does it matter what speaker you have. I have a few boxes laying around of monoprice 6.5 inch in-celing speakers (which are boxed as pairs) can I break those down to put one speaker in four small sized rooms? Thanks?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonhole /forum/post/19593233

I'm a rookie obviously... any how. I have a home partially under construction and there are in-celing speakers everywhere. However I want to add in a few rooms. Bathroom is small, is it okay to just put one speaker in instead of a pair? If yes, does it matter what speaker you have. I have a few boxes laying around of monoprice 6.5 inch in-celing speakers (which are boxed as pairs) can I break those down to put one speaker in four small sized rooms? Thanks?

If you want to make mono out of stereo, you need a speaker with dual voice coils - or some way to externally mix the signals. If you are feeding mono to the speaker, then no problem. Even a bathroom has enough room for 2 speakers - one for each channel - so that is what I'd do. You could try connecting both channels to a single voice coil - it might work fine for combining stereo to mono, but I would not recommend it - depending on how it was wired it might mess with stereo separation in other rooms

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonhole
Sure. One speaker is a mono speaker. Two speakers makes stereo.

Some mono in-ceiling speakers have two VCs as pointed out above, and two speaker connections which allow you to have mono in one place and stereo elsewhere, which may be what you want to do for something like a bathroom with only one speaker.

If you just use one regular speaker, then you'd have to just have L or R channel connected to it, which depending on the music might lose a lot of the sound if the song has stuff that's heavily panned to one channel or the other. Or you could combine everything to mono before the amp or at the amp and then it would be mono everywhere which is also not that uncommon for background audio either.

My best recommendation though would be to keep things stereo, and use a purpose-built mono in-ceiling speaker with dual connections so you get all the sound of the two channels properly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts