Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found one and have it on hold manufacturers Monday, but if someone could

help me with a couple of questions it would be great. I am most interested in this set because it has a 720p native mode.

The price I can get it for is $2300. Is it better than new $2500

dollar sets from other manufacturers?

I am concerned about the 850 lines of resolution I keep reading about

with other sets having say 1500, but many of you seem to say to not

worry about this. Any definitive word on this?

The other thing that worries me is the "ringing" that I keep reading

about, how pronounced is it and is it on every set or just some of

them?

I can get an extended warranty for one, two, or four years. Should I

do this or just go with the standard warranty. They say it is an in

home warranty, I was thinking maybe before I get the extended

warranty I should call the company the dealer goes through and see

what kind of turn around time they have and what they say they will

cover. How often do you need to "tune up" these tv's and do extended

warranties cover "tune ups."

Thank you for your help,

Zongo

------------------

Zongo Out

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the set. I paid about $2400 for it. I couldn't imagine getting something that substantially better at any cost. I say this not because this TV is the best ever made, but rather, all the digital sets seem to be capable of nice pictures when set up right, with good source material. I shopped quite a bit, talked to a couple of ISF dudes, a couple of knowledgable sales people who were sort of technical (hard to find these types who will tell you the truth). Another nice thing about this set that sold me, was that it has 2 component inputs, that can accept 480p or regular high def, which many sets do not have.

I wanted this set because of 720P and because the dish network 6000 reciever supports 720P. Also, I would buy the 4 year warranty, as its a question of when an expensive TV set will break, not if. They all do, and they all will, regardless of what the crazies say.

As far as the 850 lines of resolution, I have no idea what that means. The set supports 1080i, which I get. It also supports 720P, which I get also. Thats what's relevant I do believe. It looks awesome. Lines of resolution looks good on paper, but if you don't have a source to drive it, it is meaningless.

The ISF guy who speced my set, told me that out of all the mfrs, the Panasonic has the most flexibility to tune it. He told me that the software was confusing, which is the price you pay for flexibility. I witnessed this first hand when he was in the service menus but that should not affect anyones decision as this is a one time affair and should be done by a pro anyway.

Ringing in my opinion is yet another non problem (like the "dreaded chroma bug") that people read about but no one knows what it really is. These internet chat room "problems" are so obscure, that one would have to study their pictures for hours. Once my picture was converged, I cannot find any flaws that are real in the picture, unless the source material is lousy, and there is no TV that will cover that up.

Convergence sharpened the text, and made the pictures much more clear, especially in 720P mode.

THis is a nice set, and the 720p, and 2 component inputs make it nice to live with. The remote is decent, The software is confusing and the input change is slow as mollases. Overall, I have no regrets about this at all and would do it again in second.

There is a Yahoo discussion group devoted specifically to this TV.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanasonicPT56WXF95/

·
Registered
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Zongo:
I have found one and have it on hold manufacturers Monday, but if someone could help me with a couple of questions it would be great. I am most interested in this set because it has a 720p native mode.
As an owner of one of these I can say that 720p material does indeed look a bit better view in 720p mode rather than converted to 1080i. Likewise 1080i material looks better displayed as 1080i and not converted to 720p. Also if you plan to use a HTPC it's somewhat easier to coax a video card to produce 720p than 1080i. (Some folks use a 540p mode on their HDTVs which if done right will look like 1080p to the HDTV.)

Quote:
The price I can get it for is $2300. Is it better than new $2500 dollar sets from other manufacturers?
Probably -- but then mine was close to $4k.

Quote:
I am concerned about the 850 lines of resolution I keep reading about with other sets having say 1500, but many of you seem to say to not worry about this. Any definitive word on this?
Unfortunately there is no real standard for defining resolution so comparing these numbers between manfacturers is difficult if not impossible. Suffice to say that the Panasonic has about the same resolution as any other set with 7" tubes.

Quote:
The other thing that worries me is the "ringing" that I keep reading about, how pronounced is it and is it on every set or just some of them?
I have never noticed this problem on my set. I have seen the "horizontal streaking" problem that you have probably read about (and there is a fix for) but it appears rarely enough that I simply haven't bothered to fix it.

Quote:
I can get an extended warranty for one, two, or four years. Should I do this or just go with the standard warranty. They say it is an in home warranty, I was thinking maybe before I get the extended warranty I should call the company the dealer goes through and see what kind of turn around time they have and what they say they will

cover. How often do you need to "tune up" these tv's and do extended warranties cover "tune ups."
On this one you'll have to read the fine print. I would be very surprised if "tune ups" were covered.

I never get "extended warranties" as I don't feel they are worth the money. Most are really insurance policies, often carried by actual insurance companies and not the original manufacturer. As with any insurance you have to ask yourself how much risk you can take on your own.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both so much. My wife has given me the go ahead and now I'm really scared, but your input has been invaluable!

------------------

Zongo Out

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Thank you both so much. My wife has given me the go ahead and now I'm really scared, but your input has been invaluable!
I have the original version of this set, without the 720p. It's now just over 3 years old and has performed flawlessly. I'm still very happy with it. Hope this makes you a bit less frightened http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Jerry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.