AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oops looked like I messed up my thread title, but I'd like to know about AVs forum and what it was like back in the day. Seems like there's some epic characters in here now, but sometimes when I'm sitting around with my cornpipe in the rocking chair I wonder what things were like here before I was made aware of the xbox section. Were AVSers always this well behaved or did people get angry with one another and threaten to beat each others brains in with pipes? Were the mods as ruthless and savage as they are now? I remember people talking about Costco return policy in another sub section and Mr. Kyser getting quite bitter with some AVSers! Oh those were the days. When they first started this forum, what was it like? Who created the xbox section? Bring him out so we can say thanks. Do the moderators have a central control room where they monitor threads, similar to the batcave? I'm so curious, sorry in advance.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
While I'm not an early member here are a few things that I remember from when I first joined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey > work /forum/post/17017333

Were AVSers always this well behaved or did people get angry with one another and threaten to beat each others brains in with pipes?

When I first joined here there was definitely quite a few members who got angry with others and often. If my memory serves me correctly this happened less when the gaming forum was split into its current sub forums (Nintendo, Xbox ,Playstation)

Quote:

Were the mods as ruthless and savage as they are now?

I remember at one point the mods getting complaints or they themselves started complaining because the threads started discussing about the games rather than dealing strictly with gaming pertaining to home theater equipment.

Quote:

Do the moderators have a central control room where they monitor threads, similar to the batcave?

I'm thinking the moderators are more like agents in the Matrix. They have all the keys and guard all the doors.

I'd like to hear from the true early members as well and when did the gaming section first start? DaGamePimp is one of the few senior members who frequent here. So maybe he can add to this.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
It was alot more nerds back then.. and their opinions were really respected. It was a much closer group as you knew who knew what the hell they were talkin about, and you knew who was just throwing their 2 cents out there. Alot of vendors actually participated in the forum also. It would be pretty cool to talk to the Panasonic guy.. before you brought a Panasonic projector from him.

Seems like everyone is a know it all now/internet thug now that they sell blurays at walmart. Seriously, Im not joking. Now that you can buy a $199 xbox, $199 HTiB, $199 1080p 23" flatscreen all from Walmart and rent unlimited mail order delivery movies for $8 bucks a month.. its pretty easy for anyone to jump into the hobby for just over $500 bucks.

As you can imagine, now that owning a "home theater" isnt exactly a science or exclusive club anymore.. so its brought quite a few characters on here..

10 years ago, there was no gaming section. HDTV's were huge big box sets that took up your whole living room and cost like $5k on up. Most people used $1000 progressive scan DVD players or the hardcore like myself built specialized desktop computers with special order videocards, audio cards, cases, fans and harddrives as complete media players. The HTPC forum was the "gaming" forum.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
AVS has always (Ok since I started lurking planning my HT about a year before I joined) been volitile. I spent a good deal of time researching LCD or DLP front projector and to this day I have not seen more heated discussions on the internet.

I saw posts where folks who were an LCD supporter one generation and loved by many switched to DLP the next and be attacked mercilessly by their peers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts