AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a dvd recorder,i'm considering a toshiba D-R400,a samsung dvd-ar650, and a panasonic dmr-ez27k. I have a few questions:

1.)the main thing that interests me about the samsung is that it has component input, but a dvd recorder can't record in hd right? so would there be any advantage in recording from component input instead of s-video (in picture quality)?

2.)i tested my cable box with my tv, on widescreen channels,such as discovery hd,and it put bars on the top and bottom ( through component it fills the whole screen ). so do all cable boxes do this through s-video or does it vary?

3.)which recording quality would be better,the toshiba or the panansonic?

4.)any other units you would recommend?

5.)are there any that can record in 5.1 surround

6.)there aren't any blue-ray recorders are there?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
11,577 Posts
Some people do report that true wide screen is only available via Component from some cable boxes. I think it depends on your box. As far as the Samsung, is it an older box? I haven't heard of any new DVDR's w/component in. I only hear about an older Poloroid w/component in. And yes, all DVDR's will only be SD so if it weren't for the WS issue, I don't think you'd gain a lot with the component in's. That said, it sure couldn't hurt to have that feature if it was available.

I personally prefer the PQ of the Panasonic, especially on speeds above 2hrs.(but have not had much experience with Toshiba or Sammy DVDR's). And no, there are no BR standalone recorders, at least in north america.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-mt /forum/post/12942477

6.)there aren't any blue-ray recorders are there?

No, not net, in the USA. The place to watch for news and speculation about those is the HDTV Recorders forum down the hall.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The Samsung AR650 does NOT have a component input and is extremely buggy. None record in 5.1 either. The Toshiba does not have a built in Tuner.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav /forum/post/12946864

The Samsung AR650 does NOT have a component input and is extremely buggy. None record in 5.1 either. The Toshiba does not have a built in Tuner.

my mistake, i must have misread "composite" as "component", 1 more question about audio:

according to best buy's site the panasonic records in dolby digital 2-channel audio recording, it describes the samsung as dolby digital and dts audio recording, so would i notice a difference with dts (i do have a surround system)?

·
Registered
681 Posts
again, not accurate, any recorder records DD2.0 audio. Honestly, stay away from the Samsung, it's the buggiest piece of equipment I have ever tried. The Panasonic is probably a lot better, I am just not a fan of the brand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts