AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
become more lost then when I began. BTW I have searched this forum high & low. Plain and simple this is what I am looking for:

1.) A TV (LCD/Plasma)

2.) A TV that can handle fast action movies and ESPECIALLY PS3 FPS Games such as Call of Duty!!!


3.) Do not want to go smaller then 32" or bigger then 42"



Here is what I have found so far and this is after several weeks of research:

I am leaning toward these TVs as of now:


a.) Samsung LN40C650 (an LCD with decent reviews)

b.) Panasonic TC-P42G25 OR TC-P42S2 (a few Plasma's with mixed reviews)

c.) ??? ANY other recommendations on TVs I may have over looked???

The TV will mainly be used in the basement with low lighting BUT will likely end up in the family room where there is a lot of light due to many windows.


Thank you all that reply. Happy Thanksgiving!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
you can count out the samsung lcd because lag is terrible on it, panasonic plasma should be researched in the plasma section of the forums, also check out LG, 450 series LCD or 5400 since they are also decent for gaming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneyman /forum/post/19543603


you can count out the samsung lcd because lag is terrible on it, panasonic plasma should be researched in the plasma section of the forums, also check out LG, 450 series LCD or 5400 since they are also decent for gaming.

Can you tell me how to avoid the laggingon my next purchase? I have a cheap Magnavox 32". when we run the DVD sound through the stereo, the picture will lag behind the sound. Is this related to the refresh rate, or is there a different spec I should be looking at?


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
Joined
·
3,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamster001 /forum/post/19543510


become more lost then when I began. BTW I have searched this forum high & low. Plain and simple this is what I am looking for:

1.) A TV (LCD/Plasma)

2.) A TV that can handle fast action movies and ESPECIALLY PS3 FPS Games such as Call of Duty!!!


3.) Do not want to go smaller then 32" or bigger then 42"



Here is what I have found so far and this is after several weeks of research:

I am leaning toward these TVs as of now:


a.) Samsung LN40C650 (an LCD with decent reviews)

b.) Panasonic TC-P42G25 OR TC-P42S2 (a few Plasma's with mixed reviews)

c.) ??? ANY other recommendations on TVs I may have over looked???

The TV will mainly be used in the basement with low lighting BUT will likely end up in the family room where there is a lot of light due to many windows.


Thank you all that reply. Happy Thanksgiving!

With the criteria you have listed, it sounds to me like you need a plasma. From reports, the C650 has pretty bad lag (as the poster above mentioned) and that will affect your performance in FPS's online.


Plasma is generally cheaper than LCD (though in the mid-ranges that's less true) so you should be able to get a pretty good Panasonic or Samsung plasma for $600-$700 without even trying hard.


For the record; LCD's don't really have any problems with fast action movies. Where LCD's fail in comparison to Plasma is fast action sports and other live-action/recorded video material. Recorded video blur significantly more than film does. Especially if you watch blu ray (and with owning a PS3, you should). I've seen no blur with any of the action movies I own or have rented.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite /forum/post/19545401


With the criteria you have listed, it sounds to me like you need a plasma. From reports, the C650 has pretty bad lag (as the poster above mentioned) and that will affect your performance in FPS's online.


Plasma is generally cheaper than LCD (though in the mid-ranges that's less true) so you should be able to get a pretty good Panasonic or Samsung plasma for $600-$700 without even trying hard.


For the record; LCD's don't really have any problems with fast action movies. Where LCD's fail in comparison to Plasma is fast action sports and other live-action/recorded video material. Recorded video blur significantly more than film does. Especially if you watch blu ray (and with owning a PS3, you should). I've seen no blur with any of the action movies I own or have rented.
Thank you for your replies BUT wouldn't a plasma be terrible in a living room with bay windows? It should b fine in my basement but I am thinking it will be awful to watch in the living room shall I move it there.
 

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
Joined
·
3,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamster001 /forum/post/19545507

Thank you for your replies BUT wouldn't a plasma be terrible in a living room with bay windows? It should b fine in my basement but I am thinking it will be awful to watch in the living room shall I move it there.

it depends on if you have direct sunlight coming into the room or just a lot of ambient light. Admittedly, the plasma will not perform as well as any LCD during the daylight hours. However if you don't have direct sunlight (which will cause unbearable glare on a plasma or any LCD with glossy screen) a good plasma will still be watchable even in high ambient light conditions.


However if you do plan to put the tv in the upstairs living room I would recommend an LCD. If you have direct sunlight issues, I would make that a matte screened LCD, as anything else would be unwatchable during the time the sunlight comes into the room.


I recommended a plasma initially because you seemed to be concerned about motion issues, which a plasma handles better than an LCD. For lighting condition issues, I always recommend LCD. I own one myself for that reason.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top