Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

Circa 3 hours today, that's all it took. The fat lady can sing now!...

I wake up this morning, and as usual I am right there up and running checking AVS. Around my 4th cup of coffee, phone rings. It's Laurence again. For those who have not read, I spent the afternoon at his place yesterday checking his beautiful home theater, and having a ton of fun.

He asks me what my plans were for the day. I tell him none really. He goes: "I just got off the phone with Roger. How would you like to go visit?"

I was speechless!!! ...Roger, of course, is Roger Galvin, THE absolute, top G-90 guru!!! After I regain consciousness, I tell Larry that he'd find me dead before I turned him down on that one! As it turned out, I did have to go pick up a cousin of mine at the airport around 2pm, so of course I immediately made provisions to go pick her up...As in send someone else over there! I'm outta here! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Roger lives about 45 minutes from my place, or 25 from Larry's. Off we go to Roger's. We stop for a nice breakfast over in Miami Lakes' exclusive area (Don Shula town, as it is known...Don has his famous steakhouse and a hotel on site) , and we arrive with the anticipation and enthusiasm of two 8 year olds.

Roger greets us at the door. Larry introduces me to him and after chatting a couple of minutes, we head straight for his theater room, like three puppies who have been starving for a week head to their food bowls!

Of course all this foaming at the mouth is....because...Roger has THE most incredible G-90 setup in the planet at his place!!! Bar none,or so I'm told...

THE EVENT

Yes, it was an event to behold!...

Roger begins the demo by lowering the lights in his room to off. Next, at the press of a Pronto button, the most incredible, vivid, sharpest looking desktop pops up, that I've seen in my entire five years I'm in this hobby, and since the year and a half I've been messing with HTPCs. This thing had punch! This thing has PERFECT focus at all points of the screen. This thing was just plain unbelievable to witness! Both Larry and I are astonished...

Next, he pops a few DVDs in there, and proceeds with the demo. Gladiator never looked so good! The vibrancy of the colors, the deep inky blacks, the clarity in shadow details in the blacks, were a true sight to withhold. The fight scenes in the arena looked fabulous. Blood looked...like blood. Bright bloody red it was. The 3-dimensionality level was so "there" that I couldn't believe my eyes. It was as if you could reach out with your hand and touch the characters! It was HD resolution coming from a DVD. there were absolutely no color bleeds. Every contour line was sharply defined. It was truly something else.

Next, The Fifth Element. You can never get enough of Milla anyway http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif The opening scene, with the kid in the desert, was absolutely deprived of any picture noise. This part has got a ton of video grain on the sky portion. It was magically gone! I could not believe my eyes how smooth some of the best scenes in this dvd looked. The scene where Leloo is created looks as vivid as I've never seen it. The resolution is breathtaking. Sure makes those thermal bandages shine! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif Very high quality manufacturing there, heh... The diva scene looked absolutely stunning. For those of you who read my "What I liked about Laurence's home theater" thread and can relate, the guy in the tuxedo..his lapel and the demarcation line have never looked this vivid. This is the best display of black level I've seen ever! The intricacy of the shadow detail in the whole black range, down to the absolute lowest of the scale, is something that borders the unbelievable. The colors on some other scenes on this dvd shone through so rich and punchy! There a scene in the ship, just before they're ready to board, where that stupid Chris Tucker (please someone shoot him alright...God!) wears that equally stupid hairdo, where he gets too up close and personal with the stewardess, where you can actually discern every little nuance on their faces. The detail here is astonishing. Also, the scene where Corbin is introduced to his hotel room, where you see the blue colored wall in the background...the blue looked so ******g BLUE!...It looked as if it were exploding, it was THAT massive! The famous reference scene where Leloo jumps off the cliff, was the icing on the cake! That shot of her face was so detailed, so incredibly sharp...I just have never seen anything like it!

Larry and I kept looking at each other with the same stared look on our faces of that of a couple of atheists who've just met up close and personal with God for a soul cleansing session http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Next came Lost In Space. the intro scene was simply brilliant. The blacks were king here. Some of the battling scenes in space truly looked HDTV to my eyes and Larry's...

Next came some HD. The only thing that was playing was the demo off of Directv. We watched and watched...and watched... in amazing glory. I have never seen the depth of field that the G-90 is capable of displaying. The resolution and focus of this thing, when properly set, just defines the genre! I noted that with Dvd material, the detail was able to extend itself farther into the image than anything I had ever seen. With HD material, the detail was simply astonishing! It reached so far into the image, that it seemed as though there were a hole in the wall in Roger's room http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif . You just felt so immersed into the picture. The 3-dimensionality of the image felt simply unreal to our eyes! WOW!!!

Lastly, Roger proceeded to give us a half hour lecture on the use of Avia, to showcase his incredible system. The different patterns showed served only to prove what our eyes had been marveling at. The various resolution fields showed a sharp, crispy, tight display all the way to the end of the scale. The 6.75 MHZ pattern never looked as defined. All the lines were clearly discernable. The intensity of the various shades of black were uniform across all the displayed patterns contained in anyone of the resolution pages. The zone Plate pattern was as clear and smooth as silk, There was no shimmering and no artifacting present in any of the patterns. The focus patterns showed a focus as uniformly distributed across the entire screen area as humanly possible...and then some. Convergence was absolutely dead on!....This was simply art at its best! Unbelievable stuff!!! I'm reminded of my beautiful picture at home, my gorgeously offset chips in my DILA, and how unbearable this is getting to my nerves. I am used to seeing things with a red line on one side and a green line on the other. The G-90 is so milky smooth, so porcelain smooth, so silky smooth, so film-like smooth. The edges are so defined. There is not a slight bleed to see anywhere.

Three hours had passed, and it was time to wrap up. We've had a very special three hours. An intensive three hours. My eyes were exhausted from having absorbed so much in so little time. My mind was aching from all the new information it had stored in such a short time frame. After all, the data the mind had been fed during all that time was probably 95% fresh. It was the equivalent shocker for the brain that the stomach gets after a ride through the tallest, fastest, most twisty, roller coaster ride. Simply overbearing!

Roger is truly a first rate individual! The knowledge he has mastered of his trade speaks very highly of him. His passionate, yet candid approach to this half art, half science is truly overwhelming. You can't help but be in total respect for an individual who is so into his work, yet finds the time to host a stranger like me in his home in the most gracious and gentleman-like form possible.

I want to thank Laurence for inviting me, and Roger for being such a super nice host!

As to the having seen the light remark? ...I think I'm gonna be in hibernation for the rest of this year. I'm just gonna find myself a little hole of a retreat, sit there through the winter, and wonder in amazement how foolish I have been in the past year of so to think I had it good with my G-11 DILA.

Cheers,

Luca

------------------

PICTURES OF MY THEATER
albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1659592&a=12715694&f=0

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
What screen width and gain was it?

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with whatever higher rez DLP gets its act together (finally)with Panamorph or B stock/etc 9" CRT

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Luca,

You don't do many short reviews, do you?

Seriously, that was a great read. You've been making the rounds lately!

I don't think that many of us would turn down that system if we had a chance at it. I know that I wouldn't. I am sure that it was spectacular.

By the way, Roger Galvin's name is familiar. Where have I heard that name before?

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Luca,

What is he using to feed DVD to the projector?

p.s. Frankly the way you expressed your enthusiasm for what you saw just slam dunk settles the DILA vs CRT debate for me.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
OK Luca, now that you've returned to planet earth with the rest of us mere mortals, just compare your D-ILA on a cost basis and you'll feel a LOT better.

I got a dynamite, easy to use, bright and very film-like HT setup for $20K. Here's what's in it:

Boxlight 38T (Sanyo XP21N clone)

Quadscan elite

(to be ordered-Kenwood 400 disk changer or equivalent)

Parasound 2500U Pre with base mgmt,volume control upgrades

Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature, Series II (the latest)

107" diagonal 4:3 Stewart Grayhawk with the wide, vellum covered frame.

Kef Speakers: Reference 3 for L/R, 200C for center, THX dipoles for surrounds.

Bag End Infrasub 18

Nakamichi CD changer

Edgar power conditioning for equipment rack (except power amp)

Separate power conditioner for projector.

IR repeater setup to transmit remote codes to equipment room

Pronto remote (which I'm too dumb to program)

I've seen the G90 with the best video processing and I agree it is the ultimate. But for $20 grand I got 90% of the way and got a dynamite sound system in the bargain that excels at both HT and playing music. I'd be willing to bet that is maybe 20% of the cost of the system you saw.

People have been able to spend really big bucks and get spectacular results in HT for some years now. But being able to get near-spectacular results for half the cost of a car is a relatively new thing and made it possible for me to enjoy HT. Your D-ILA is one heckuva projector and your HT is pretty darn cool too. You DO have it good, quit comparing it to somebody else's HT and enjoy the heck out of it.

Dan

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
So while you are hibernating this winter will you be scouring ebay for a deal on a G90 or what? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif Seriously though are you planning a move to CRT?

------------------

David R. Smith

System info: NEC 9PG in progress, Dalite 60X80 Matte (I know), ATI Radeon 64mb VIVO, ATI 7.1 player w/DC's O IRE patch , WinME.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
David,

Should I install that ATI patch you link to in your signature (I'm using the drivers supplied with my Radeon 32 VE)? How and what does it improve?

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 08-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The patch is Digital Connections 0 IRE trimmed down to only the PQ settings (gamma, color, brightness, etc). DC and Guy Kuo (sp?) came up with these after quite a bit of effort. I usually run it before I start the ATI player. After running the patch I then use AVIA to calibrate. I would be interested to know if you still want to use gamma 2 on your lt150 after using the patch and calibrating with AVIA.

It originated from the "prefer 0 ire" post by MikeM in the HTPC forum, here is a link to an abbreviated explanation:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/012371.html

------------------

David R. Smith

System info: NEC 9PG in progress, Dalite 60X80 Matte (I know), ATI Radeon 64mb VIVO, ATI 7.1 player w/DC's O IRE patch , WinME.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Similar experience here (won't make it too long http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif ).

I had the representative from JVC over with a prototype D-ILA and a G11 (for a customer of mine) and he was claiming how this would be a certain CRT killer, (he never saw my CRT http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ).

So I started out with the Proto-type and some Dinosaur clips, after that the G11 and the same clips, and I must say WAUW on the bright scenes.

Just saw the JVC representative from JVC glowing with a ear to ear smile (nice guy by the way). "So how do you like it" he asked.

"Hummm, let's look at the haunting" Creacking pipes.

Still the representative was impressed by the picture of the D-ILA, I was not anymore.

So after an hour or so (again very nice guy) we decided to look at my measly G70 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .

Like magic the smile disapeared, "What the (you know what) is this !!!". He never knew that black could be black.

I was really impressed with the D-ILA in bright scenes, would trade my G70 for the proto-type probarbly, but as soon as the scenes get dark it's just too .... "light" and I love Horror and SF so that's a tough trade-off.

For me it's CRT but D-ILA is the perfect projector for people who can't make the room pitch dark (only then the blacks are REALLY important) so if a bit washed out blacks are no problem, the D-ILA is the way to go. Other wise CRT rules.

The nice thing is from JVC, they really listen to the things I said, I opted for the use of filters to get the blacks better, and they would try this (let's hope they really do, this technique has GREAT potential).

Greetings from Holland,

Frank Doorhof

------------------
a href= www.hometheater.nl
www.htforum.nl

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I should probably mention that when we stopped off for a quick lunch before heading to Roger's house Luca had suffered through a bad brew of cappucino. I'm hoping his manic enthusiasm wasn't hallucinogenically related. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Seriously, I've seen Rogers demos several times. This time it was truly "perfect". The magic seems to come from the Radion card in his HTPC. Last time I was there, a year ago, he had the Geforce card. He said that the Radeon card was sharper but has a slight YC delay. The Geforce card had less YC delay.

For those who avoid the CRT forum, Roger Galvin and William Phelps live on opposite coasts of the US.

They are the penultimate ISF setup gurus. The Maximos of the Joe Kane gladiators.

Each has mastered the Sony G90 and are called in by Sony, Faroudja and the big AV companies for setups. They are in more millionaires homes than Robin Leach. Roger has now done 210 setups. Phelps also does digital projector setups, including DILA.

[This message has been edited by Laurence (edited 08-19-2001).]

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Quote:
But for $20 grand I got 90% of the way and got a dynamite sound system in the bargain that excels at both HT and playing music. I'd be willing to bet that is maybe 20% of the cost of the system you saw
Dan,

It's a myth that only a G90 is capable of giving one a religious experience on a level experienced by Luca.

I had the same religious experience when shown the fully calibrated picture made with an NEC XG135LC. And that's only a $5000 projector.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Sorry for the OT post here, but The Sultan of Cheap mentions the XG135LC is a $5K projector. Since i'm still looking for a CRT projector, and my budget is around $4K, and the good things i've read about this projector, i'd be very interested to know where i can find one for $5K. Is that a new one? What about a used one?

Thanks

Gertjan

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Gertjan,

Alan had several new ones to sell recently (may or may not have been the liquid coupled version - can't remember). They went a little over the $5K price.

A friend of mine replaced his 135 with a 135LC. I got to see both tweaked up to perfection. They both make such a gorgeous image that IMO you will be very pleased with either. It will not leave you wanting for anything else. He sold his 135 in perfect condition for considerably less than $5K so if you look around you should be able to find one for $4K.

Keep in mind those were the going prices before this was posted recently... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/008466.html

That may have had an impact on the price of these things. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hiya there http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Here I am, alive and well, after a bad case of "projectitis withdrawal" last night. Wow, what a revelation it was! I feel like I just came back from a month at a reclusive Buddhist monastery up some hill in Tibet http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I just woke up, and my cousin, the one whom I spoke of yesterday, is already up and going waiting for me take me her around town for a few hours. After I left her stranded yesterday, I really cannot refuse this time.

I am coming back later today and will then answer your questions. Meantime, does... anyone want my DILA? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Cheers,

Luca

------------------

PICTURES OF MY THEATER

[This message has been edited by propeller_beach (edited 08-19-2001).]

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey there, it's me again. Back home.

Spectacular is really cutting it short. This thing was an absolute eye opener of an experience. One of those that only comes once every few years. It is true that the price to pay to be in the driver's seat for this priviledge is a bit steep. I am fully aware, having a fully tweaked G-11 myself, that the best digital setup out there nowadays probably comes 80% close to a G-90, when you consider cost and all else. Nonetheless, if you're a perfectionist in this hobby, as many of us are, and you have the means, this is THE ONLY choice there is. Bar none.

I kept thinking of all that we digitekkies go through, month in month out, to always try and find a better way to a better picture. We are constantly looking to tweak here, tweak there. We are never satisfied with our setup. We always want to see even a little improvement. There is really nothing wrong with this. This is all fine and dandy. It is part of this hobby. But there is really something to be said for just setting up a G-90 and never have to touch it again (regular, minimal maintenance aside). There is just something way too special here that I see, that just really revolutionizes the way you would approach this passion of ours. It's the whole Ron Popeil thing you know! You just "set it...and forget it!." There is absolutely nothing else you need done to a G-90. Ever. Simply never have to tinker with it again, and just sit back every time and enjoy your whatever movie you fancy watching. And it will be as perfect the first time as it will be the 20th time, the 50th, the 100th...

BTW, Roger is using a DIY HTPC with a Radeon card and Win2000. He uses WinDVD2000. Forgot to mention that he also demoed his system for us by going through the whole gamut of patterns from Display Mate. This little app. was especially revealing, not unlike going through Avia was.

I used to be skeptical about the various debates between 9"CRT and DILA projectors we would go through here every once in a while. I can only say this. I am keeping my DILA alright. I am going to incorporate the Panamorph to it, and I'm always gonna be looking out for other ways to improve my system. But after yesterday, I am a new man. The memory of those crisp, film like, liquid images will haunt me forever now.

I just wish everybody in this forum the same luck I had. Robert, and many others out there I'm sure, know what I'm talking about. I just wish all of you too would witness such a pleasant experience someday. You just GOTTA know what it feels like when you come across something like this.

...Off to install my Panamorph now...and try and improve my DILA http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Luca

------------------

PICTURES OF MY THEATER

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
It's a wonderful feeling all right. Until.......

The G90, set up properly, is a sight to behold. I've had the fortune of seeing a perfect G90, set up by William Phelps I believe, at the last two CES events. There's a certain feeling you leave with(that is unless you have a perfectly set up G90) that makes you suddenly feel ashamed of your own projector. "Why can't I have that? Oh yeah, because it'll set me back a cool 50K"......if you know the right people.

Then we come back down to earth and start watching our own projectors again and become comfortable with what we have and realize that we're still pretty darn fortunate to have what we have compared to most of our friends and neighbors.

We feel fortunate to be able to be associated with some of the most knowledgeable people on the planet right here on AVS.

Don't we?

We have more today than we had last year on this day and most likely will have more a year from today.

Won't we?

Yeah, the G90 impresses and depresses at the same time all right, but who knows? Maybe some day.......... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Chris

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Gertjan, if your looking for a killer crt, the xg135s Robert is posting about are mine. There's one just like it in the classified section of this forum, for $5,700 it can do 95% of what a G-90 can do.

The basic pros & cons...smaller screen, better picture, 5 minutes of tweeking per week, cheaper to operate. (less than 40 cents per hour)

Good luck!

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Only one slight difficulty, Kenny. Gertjan's in Atlanta and that projector's in LA and the seller won't ship.

[shamelessplug]BTW, If someone wants to get his feet wet with CRT and do it without spending real money I've got a good working AmPro to sell for only $750 with remote and manual. And I'll set it up and demo it. I think you'll be surpised at what $750 can buy in a CRT projector (it sold originally for $16k).[/shamelessplug]

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.