AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am in the midst of building a dedicated home theater. Four months ago I knew nothing about HT, and now, after months of researching HT, I am only begining to recognize the depths of my ignorance.

I decided that DLP was the way to go after comparing LCD FP's with DLPs. On Saturday I saw my first FP CRT - a Seleco 800(?) running through a Faroujda NRS (sp?). Wow!!! I was amazed. The place I went to also had a Runco DLP (they did not know the model number, so don't expect me to know it - that is a whole 'nother aggrivation, so let's not go there) that I compared the Seleco against.

The difference was night and day.

Granted the price sent me into vapor lock (about 20K for the projector and Faroujda), but WOW!

So here is my problem. I will be watching primarily 16:9 DVD's and HDTV - very little 4:3. I would like to keep the price of the FP and any processor to 10K (does not include screen). I will have a totally light controlled theater with a viewing distance of of about 12' to the screen. Anyone want to point me at some FP CRT systems to look at?

Like I said, I was VERY impressed with CRT systems.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
There is no need to spend 20K to get a great CRT PJ. You should be able to pick up a used Barco 1208, 808, Electrohome 8XXX in great condition with reasonable hours and great tubes for between 3 and 4000.

For a little more cash an NEC XG, Sony G70.

Instead of the Faroudja you could pick up a good HTPC for about

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

The Seleco I looked at had 7" guns, and I was more then a little impressed with its display of "Toy Story". Granted, if you got a couple of feet away from the screen, it got a little fuzzy, but I plan on being about 12' back. Looked great from there.

Now, on with my education regarding FP CRT's. The DLP projectors I have been looking at (Sharp, Seleco, Dwin) have NRS of one sort or another built in. That does not seem to be the case with CRT's. I have no problem with putting together an HTPC (will move my questions over to that forum), but I am trying to get a feel for how much difference one 7" CRT projectior is from another.

How do the various FP systems rank against one another? What should I be looking for in an HTPC system? More importantly, if I decide on an FP CRT system, what should I be looking for (aside from the size of the guns).

I don't really expect answers to these questions - obviously I need to hang out in the CRT forum for awhile to learn some of the ins and outs, but if anyone has any info to point me along the way, I am anxious to learn.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
If buying used scares you, you can also buy brand new Zenith CRT projectors, I believe the model number is 895? Zenith apparently dumped a whole bunch onto the market and they go for about $3500 if my memory serves me correctly. There are at least two going on EBAY right now.

Brian

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Richard,

Get on Curt Palme's Projector email list he sends out every week or every other week or so. Email him at [email protected]

He will get you a great used CRT projector at a great price. There are others on the forum also that sell great used CRT projectors as well and I list Curt because of great past experience with him.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would like to thank everyone who replied to this thread. I am going to have to do some research on CRTs and see what I can learn. I am sure I will have more questions as time goes by.

I still can't get over how nice that Seleco 800 looked.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
For the money, the 8" projectors are the best value hands down.

The best 8" projectors are the NEC XG's, and the E'home 8500's.

I just sold an NEC XG110LC with 640 hrs on the tubes for $4,100 shipped.

That's a good ballpark figure for a low hour liquid coupled unit.

If you have 5 grand to spend on the projector go with one of those two, it'll give you a pj that you won't soon upgrade, and they can handle any resolution except 1080p...and we're not going to see that anytime soon (or later)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
You might want to talk with Tim at E-Tech to see if one of his Electrohome models would do. His most expensive is 16k for a refurbished 9500LC 9" unit that is the same chassis as the 50k Vidikron Vision 1 and 60k Madrigal MP-9. His email is [email protected] or you'll see him around the forum as "Tim".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.