Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hitachi 51swx20b

all i want in a dvd player is:

-great picture with component video cables (progressive scan)

-great media compatability (mainly dvd-r)

-optical audio output

-availability to buy at bestbuy or circuitcity, local store etc just in case we hafta return it (i know we mite pay a little more)

-price range: under 150

- the ability to play widescreen dvd like my xbox does...we have been using the xbox to play dvds since we got the rptv a year ago and it is giving out an AMAZING picture ever since i got the hdtv xbox box...however I got a dvd burner for christmas and have been burning home movies/backups and they don't get recognized in the xbox...so this is why i am now looking at buying a dvd player...i remember we borrowed my uncles' dvd player once and on the widescreen dvds it just took up like the very middle of the screen instead of almost filling up the whole thing like my xbox does....I just want to make sure this won't happen with my new purchase

what would you reccomend?

i was looking at the:

-Sony DVP-NS725P

( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03013 )

-Toshiba SD-4900 ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....equestid=74571 )...my friend has this one with his 27" trinitron and it plays anyhing you throw at it...a very important feature to me...however various reviews of the sony say the same thing soooo i guess that is good

any comments about these dvd players or other suggestions?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
You have to get up to about $250 to get a good quality player with a Faroujda de-interlacer, forget those sony and Toshiba models! Go with a Mitsubishi DD-8040 or a Denon DVD-910. Best Buy and Circuit City don't carry the good models, try Good Guys or Tweeter stores.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much better picture are we talking about? Would it be like the picture from xbox? Becuase I dont see how it can get much better than that... I was thinking get one of these 100 dollar units for now until DVI units become more popular and perfected and then get one of those in a year or so....I don't wanna spend 250 twice

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
About 10x better, you don't know how good it can look until you watch DVDs with a Faroudja-based model. Especially video-based DVDs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 questions:

first- whats one step down from these players?

second- how is dvd-r and +r media compatability with them?

third- what are good reputable places that sell them, with good return policies?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The only step down is way down to cheap quality there is nothing in between unfortunately. The Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50, Denon DVD-1600, DVD-910,DVD-1200 and the Mitsubishi DD-8040 all have Faroudja and top-rated quality and all play DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW fine. Tweeter and Good Guys are retail stores which carry the newer models with good 30day no-questions-asked return policies.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everything thumper

Tweeter and Goodguys have none of the models you listed though... lol any other good stores you know of?

·
Registered
85 Posts
The first four that thumperboy listed are discontinued. Your best bet is to look for the Denon-910 and 1200 online(6ave) and the others on ebay or audiogon.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yes, I saw some Mitsubishi player with Faroudja at the local Good Guys store a couple of weeks ago, I assume it was that model. Also I saw a yamaha dvd-changer at the local FRY'S ELECTRONICS store, that had Faroudja logo on it. It was $200something.

I am curious, how is picture compares between these Faroudja players and my Liteon 2001 operating at 1080i... Altought I've owned 6 or 7 dvd players, I've never owned a Faroudja player. Anyone has the Liteon and one the Faroudja's players to compare? I understand it is unfair to compare a 480p picture with an upconverted 1080i picture, but I am curious....... since a lot of discountinued DCDi players can be picked up pretty cheap these days.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there are no frys, goodguys or tweeters near me and those models are not on their website

i don't understand why if these players are SOOO good then why are there only about 6 models of them and why doesn't the average consumer know about them and why aren't they carried by major stores such as bestbuy...85% of the avg guy that goes into a store to buy a dvd player will do little research and purchase one of the ones i mentioned in my first post....

so very confused right now

i probably would have been happier if i just never posted and went out and bought that sony or toshiba and some nice accoustic research component cables lol

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
niwi, you came to the avsforum where people strive for the best. This forum is fed by gadget-freaks and av fanatics, that is what makes it very valuable. People on this forum are extremely knowledgeable about this stuff, many have engineering degrees. An average member of this forum knows about 10000 times more than your average Best Buy employee.

If this is what you are looking for, go and get Pioneer 563, Best Buys does sell it.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by niwi1038
i probably would have been happier if i just never posted and went out and bought that sony or toshiba and some nice accoustic research component cables lol

That's what they all say. :D Unfortunantly all of us have made our way to this and other forums and have spent countless hours reading and learning that there is more out there than we could ever imagine. Before I came here I thought I was pretty knowlegeable and was pretty sure what I wanted. Well now the only thing I am sure about is the fact that my budget can no longer keep up with my want list.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Oh that is true, yesterday I wondered into a local Sony Style Store., and stepped into their Special room where they have front projector and all their plazmas and wegas.

All I could do is sit down, I

then told my fiance, "Please pick me up in couple of days and please either you or my parents come to this place twice a day with some food. I am not leaving. I would like to remain here forever."

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Monstermile
That's what they all say. :D Unfortunantly all of us have made our way to this and other forums and have spent countless hours reading and learning that there is more out there than we could ever imagine. Before I came here I thought I was pretty knowlegeable and was pretty sure what I wanted. Well now the only thing I am sure about is the fact that my budget can no longer keep up with my want list.

thats exactly what I meant...sorry if it came out in a mean-sounding way lol

dont get me wrong i totally appreciate all your help

·
Registered
190 Posts
Here is my big question...My tele has only one DVI input as most HDTV sets, so should I use that DVI input for my HDTV sat receiver or with a DVD player and use component for the other?

Sony 50we610

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.