AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, as much as it pains me to admit this, I have committed a grave, nay, and impeachable offense against my fellow CRT owners.

Today, overcome by a momentary loss of reason and infected by all of the hype in the Digital Forums, while I was in Best Buy, I purchased a Infocus X1 DLP.

Flashback:

We are proud owners of a Sony VPH 1271 driven by a HTPC shooting a DIY Formica screen that's 100" diag in 16x9 format. We've loved the heck out of this machine - often cleaning the backs of the lenses, using washers to manually converge the lens', even having my father (a former TV tech) replace some capacitors on our beloved CRT.

Present Day:

I thought "$999 dollars, and I'll never have to do convergence on a Saturday night EVER AGAIN!"

So, I bought it. Now, get this : I even had confirmation from Infocus to get a free trial evaluation in 8 days. But NOOOO. I could't wait. I had the money, it's been a good month, so - Why the Hell Not???

Of course, Best Buy has a 15% restocking fee for returns.

So, we get it home, and Audrey goes to work fishing the VGA lines from the HTPC to the little DLP. She plugs it in, I start the PC and put Toy Store 2 into the DVD-ROM.

30 Minutes later, the X1 had cooled and was packed back in it's box for the 20 minute ride back to Best Buy.

Tomorrow, I will be $150 lighter, and worlds smarter.

Ladies, Gentlemen - There is NOTHING like the picture even a halfway decent CRT can produce. NOTHING.

I am a feature film editor and post production supervisor - I see 35mm film being transfered in HD on 2 million dollar Spirit Telecines 3 days a week. I know what a good image looks like. The last Director of Photography that I worked with writes articles for American Cinematographer... I see awesome looking images as the part and parcel of my job.

And I am happy to say that I have been spoiled by my 8 year old (or something like that) 3 tube, 180 pound CRT projector. They are really that good!

So, if you're on the fence about CRT vs. DLP or LCD, don't be. CRT wins -IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Forget sitting 2X away from your screen - what's the point? I want a BIG SCREEN, I want to be PART of the action, not look at it from the other side of the room...

Who cares if it's big? It's a HOME THEATER. It's still not as big as a REGULAR THEATER...

So what if you have to tweak it. Ever own a car with a carburetor? You know what I'm talking about.

I don't want to have to soften the focus of a DLP to get rid of the screen door effect that's only supposed to exist on LCDs (surprise!).

I can stand 2 feet from my CRT empowered DIY screen and not see a single pixel. Black is Black - White is NOT GREEN, and I don't ever want to pay $300 for a spare bulb - ever.

The Moral to the story is:

The Grass may be greener in the other persons yard, but in order to see it, you have to look through your own screen door.

Stick with CRT. It's a dying breed that will be missed when it's gone.

Thanks for listening.

Andy

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kineto_hound
Ladies, Gentlemen - There is NOTHING like the picture even a halfway decent CRT can produce. NOTHING.
And you proved this by buying basically one of the cheapest digital projectors currently available?

I'm not saying you are wrong in your statement, just that buying the cheapest model of another technology pretty much proves nothing towards this statement.

--Darin

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Darin

This is very true but then he is comparing it to a 7" ES focus CRT so it is pretty fair methinks especially considering all the fanfare the X1 has had.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
*rolf* This is why I avoid Best Buy now. I always seem to come out of the deal some hundreds of dollars lighter in the pocket with no real value gained to speak of....

So now I just hunt and dig and try to to find higher quality gear at lower prices. Best Buy is useful to grab a DVD on sale at $14.99 when I'm bored on some weekend and Netflix hasn't sent me anything yet. :D

Thanks for the X1 review, but yea, Darin may have a point that comparing a cheap DLP to a good CRT - no comparsion there. But on a price/performance ratio of new DLP and used CRT (given that is all most of us can sanely afford), CRT most likely always wins. But a $30,000 DLP vs. a $30,000 (new) CRT.... that's a good question.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Darn, I was thinking of trashing my calibrated JVC DILA with Rock+ with SDI and putting in an X-1 out of the box. Oh well, I'm glad I wasn't duped by all this talk that any digital at any price under any conditions is better than any decent CRT. Whew!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
My Son, for your pennants do two mechanical alignments and three - 24 point convergence setups. :)

Mike

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Speaking as someone who is currently right-this-minute doing a mechanical alignment (and having far too much trouble with it 'cause I'm a moron this week); don't you think two mechanical alignments is pretty harsh punishment?

I mean after all, the X1 was back in its box after 20 minutes. It was just a short quick affair, nothing dragged out over months and months. :)

·
Registered
596 Posts
I can say that I have absolutely zero interest in any of the single chip DLP's.....too many compromises. A good CRT just kicks it's butt!

I have had 3 Ampro Alice 3-chip projectors a few years ago....the only thing bad about them was that they were only 848x600 and 4:3 native.

I'm wondering when in the world SOMEBODY is going to take the 1280x720 HD2 chip and put out a 3 chip version!! But of course, it will be insanely expensive when they do.......

Guess I'll stick with tried and true crt for now.......

Drew

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kineto_hound
Yes, as much as it pains me to admit this, I have committed a grave, nay, and impeachable offense against my fellow CRT owners.

Today, overcome by a momentary loss of reason and infected by all of the hype in the Digital Forums, while I was in Best Buy, I purchased a Infocus X1 DLP.
Well, you couldn't even pick a good digital projector.
Quote:
Flashback:

We are proud owners of a Sony VPH 1271 driven by a HTPC shooting a DIY Formica screen that's 100" diag in 16x9 format. We've loved the heck out of this machine - often cleaning the backs of the lenses, using washers to manually converge the lens', even having my father (a former TV tech) replace some capacitors on our beloved CRT.

Present Day:

I thought "$999 dollars, and I'll never have to do convergence on a Saturday night EVER AGAIN!"

So, I bought it. Now, get this : I even had confirmation from Infocus to get a free trial evaluation in 8 days. But NOOOO. I could't wait. I had the money, it's been a good month, so - Why the Hell Not???

Of course, Best Buy has a 15% restocking fee for returns.
Unless Best Buy has done smoething differently ni the past 30 days or so, there isn't a restocking fee on this projector. I bought and returned it myself. Of course, it didn't even suit my need as a boob-tube replacement.
Quote:
So, we get it home, and Audrey goes to work fishing the VGA lines from the HTPC to the little DLP. She plugs it in, I start the PC and put Toy Store 2 into the DVD-ROM.

30 Minutes later, the X1 had cooled and was packed back in it's box for the 20 minute ride back to Best Buy.

Tomorrow, I will be $150 lighter, and worlds smarter.

I am a feature film editor and post production supervisor - I see 35mm film being transfered in HD on 2 million dollar Spirit Telecines 3 days a week. I know what a good image looks like. The last Director of Photography that I worked with writes articles for American Cinematographer... I see awesome looking images as the part and parcel of my job.

And I am happy to say that I have been spoiled by my 8 year old (or something like that) 3 tube, 180 pound CRT projector. They are really that good!

So, if you're on the fence about CRT vs. DLP or LCD, don't be. CRT wins -IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Forget sitting 2X away from your screen - what's the point? I want a BIG SCREEN, I want to be PART of the action, not look at it from the other side of the room...

Who cares if it's big? It's a HOME THEATER. It's still not as big as a REGULAR THEATER...

So what if you have to tweak it. Ever own a car with a carburetor? You know what I'm talking about.

I don't want to have to soften the focus of a DLP to get rid of the screen door effect that's only supposed to exist on LCDs (surprise!).

I can stand 2 feet from my CRT empowered DIY screen and not see a single pixel. Black is Black - White is NOT GREEN, and I don't ever want to pay $300 for a spare bulb - ever.

The Moral to the story is:

The Grass may be greener in the other persons yard, but in order to see it, you have to look through your own screen door.

Stick with CRT. It's a dying breed that will be missed when it's gone.

Thanks for listening.

Andy

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
NOTHING WRONG WITH TRYING

NEW THINGS OUT

AND NOTHING BAD ABOUT

THE X1

IT IS WHAT IT IS

A 1,000$$$$$$$ NEW

DATA GRADE DLP PROJECTOR

THAT A FEW YEARS AGO WOULD

HAVE COST A BIT MORE FOR THE SAME

QUALITY

AND JUST AS WITH CRT YOU GET WHAT

YOU PAY FOR

BUT WITH CRT YOU CAN GET MORE THAN WHAT

YOU PAY FOR

XANATOS

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spearce
But on a price/performance ratio of new DLP and used CRT (given that is all most of us can sanely afford), CRT most likely always wins.
As long as digitals are perceived as having higher ease of use the CRT will always have better price/performance if you disregard that one element. Basic economics. Even if they put out identical images the CRT would cost less because there would be more demand for the digital. So, for some the CRT would have better price/performance.
Quote:
Originally posted by Drew
I'm wondering when in the world SOMEBODY is going to take the 1280x720 HD2 chip and put out a 3 chip version!! But of course, it will be insanely expensive when they do.......
Multiple vendors showed these at CEDIA. The Marantz version looked great to me, but price will likely be between $30k and $40k.

--Darin

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hey Darin,

$30-$40K

Well, that's what I expected......

To me though......3 chip is another world!

Drew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.