AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a 3D TV and a 3D starter kit. I see some black friday deals that have this whole bundle including the 3D Blu Ray player.

Is there a difference between a 3D Bluray player and say my PS3? If I have a PS3 do I need another bluray player for 3D? I'd think not since GT5 game is in 3D if you have supporting tv.

How is the Samsung 3D starter kit?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have a PS3 and I got a Samsung 3D TV with 3D Bluray bundle. And at first I thought it was the same; but when I see "How to Train a Dragon" I experience like "stepping frames" or jumps on scenes when played on the PS3; so I stopped the movie and put it on the Samsung 3D Bluray player and plays smooth the whole movie. I put back the movie on the PS3 again to perform another test and .... same problem; it does not play as smooth as on the 3D Bluray player. And btw it was just the 2D Bluray Version.

Now I have my doubts on how good is the PS3; for long time ago it was the king of bluray players; but now.....maybe not. I have to test more movies between PS3 and 3D BLuray player...

And also if you want to get a CHEAP and nice 3D Receiver; get Onkyo SR508 for $250; if not step to Onkyo 708 ($599); or Denon 1911 ($599 but in 6ave there's a coupon code and can get it for $405) or Marantz SR5005 ($800; or $650 with luck over the net).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a Yamaha 6.1 surround sound system I bought about 3 or 4 years ago. If I get a blu-ray player (3D) I will have to go with whatever they give me in a Black Friday bundle.

One I am looking at comes with a Samsung BD-C5900 3D HD Blu-ray Player

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad711 /forum/post/19542750

I have a Yamaha 6.1 surround sound system I bought about 3 or 4 years ago. If I get a blu-ray player (3D) I will have to go with whatever they give me in a Black Friday bundle.

One I am looking at comes with a Samsung BD-C5900 3D HD Blu-ray Player

Does your receiver decode HD Audio from Blu-ray (DTS-MA & Dolby TrueHD) or just Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1?

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad711 /forum/post/19543089

Sorry for slow replies. Playing the new GT5! My setup doesn't decode HD audio. I'm 95% sure of it. Yamaha HTR-5740

OK - back to your original questions . . .

Is there a difference between the PS3 (with 3D firmware upgrade) and a 3D BD player?

As far as your system is concerned - nope. Other than a 3D BD player doesn't offer 3D gaming while the PS3 does.

How is the Samsung 3D starter kit?

Works with the Samsung 3DTVs. Includes two pair of battery operated 3D glasses and the first 3 Shrek movies (re-rendered/converted from 2D to 3D) plus a coupon to send away for the 4th one (a native 3D movie).

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad711 /forum/post/19543266

Thanks much. So any good Black Friday deals on plasma 3D's in the 46" or higher range with out a Blu-ray player?

Sorry -
- can't help you there, other than to tell you only 2 plasma 3DTV makers to choose from - Panasonic and Samsung and only Panasonic sells a 46" model (TC-46PGT24). Samsung's start at 50"

These links will help you to identify the model numbers and the features:

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

http://www.samsung.com/us/

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Check out the Display talk section, someone posted a good deal this morning in there. It is a 58C8000, Which is bigger then you wanted but, comes with starter kit and BR Player(could sale it on ebay) I think the final price for it all was 1,999.00. I dont think you will find a better price anywhere...and thats a great TV!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts