AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I just have a couple questions about some things I am seeing on my projector. Maybe some of you guys have seen similar things. I have a Sony VPH-1000Q. I know it isn't the greatest but the price was right. And other than my 2 small issues I absolutly love the image it puts out. I am only able to hook it up via S-Videa. From the advice of other forum members I was able to do the anamorphic mod to it. Afterwards the quality jumped from watchable to almost breathtaking. I just built a little stand for it and a Black Out cloth screen and I am nearly satisfied with it. At least until I can afford to pickup either a 1272Q or maybe even a Marquee 8500. Anyways, my questions are what could these 3 pick dots in the middle of the screen be? They only show up during bright scenes...(although i'm sure they are there all the time, they're just visible on white and light colors) . It was the best I could do to get it to show on camera. Also on the Monsters Inc. shot if you look at the top right and top left corners you can see it bow out on the right and bow in on the left. It doesn't show up on the test patterns and it doesn't seem to be visible all the time. Mainly just with 16:9 movies. I seem to have all the adjustments on the test patterns near perfection. I don't think I could do better without hiring someone to ISF calibrate it. That would cost more than I paid for the projector. Anyways if anyone can give me some opinions and ideas I would really appreciate it. Also if you guys have time check out my gallery. I posted some other screenshots. I'm not very good at it, but they seem to be fairly decent. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Check the green tube. Hope there's something on the green tube's face that is blocking the light, and can be removed. If not, you probably have burns on the green tube.

Project a full white raster and cover the red and blue tubes so they emit no light to the screen, and the full green raster will have three spots on it (in those positions) where the green CRT is emitting very little light or none at all.

You may have three spot burns, where the phosphor has totally burned off due to a deflection failure.

CJ

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the reply CMJohnson. I checked it out as best I could. And you're right it is definently isolated in the green tube. However i cannot see anything on the lense or inside that might be causing it. i would have to say it most likely is spot burn. My next question on that one is if I continue to use the projector. Will I make the problem worse, or will it just be a small annoyance for the rest of it's life? Also does anyone have any ideas on the other issue with the top corners being bowed out and in?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Couple of things.

It is probably spot burn, but if you're looking through the lens, and not directly at the tube face, you may be unable to see it.

Have you taken the lenses off and cleaned the tube faces and back side of the lenses and cleaned them? If not you should. Cleaning will sharpen the picture and who knows, perhaps you'll find a bug or something that decided it pick your green tube for a cemetery:)

Now for the out of square top edges, do you see this also with the zone, key, and pin test patterns with no input. Or is it just with an image displayed?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can only see the image bowing with a movie image. And only the ones with the 16:9 ratio. and even then it isn't all the time for some strange reason. As for pulling it apart. I can't find a service manual for this particular projector, So I don't really want to just go taking it apart. I'm pretty much a newbie with these things and don't know a whole lot about them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Guys, I know that I have a cheaper projector.....

I have a VPH-1000Q and a VPH-1041Q. I have fiddled and fiddled with them both...and decided to stay with the 1000Q..... but I am interested in the "anamorphic mod" that was quoted. What is this?? I have searched the archives with no luck.

My problem is that the focus in not so good on the outside of the screen. I have followed the manual as far as technically possible...falling short of hooking up test signals and adjusting the tubes.

I have looked at the articles about setups...but I can't seem to find anything that is pointing to the focus problem. Am I a perfectionist....or is this projector just not the quality that I expected???

I am a new member.....and I love this forum so far!! Keep up the good work!!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I used a Sony 1020 a while back and it was notorious for soft outer focus and always had a small bowing on the very top that I attributed to the signal I was piping into it.

IMO, the late 1030 and all the 1031 series were the only ones of the 10xx series that where made for perfectionists.

On the other hand, the 1020 performed like a rock, was dead silent, and held the convergence perfectly. Other than blow the cobwebs out of it, I don't think it required any other maintenance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
How do you complete this mod on the VPH-1000Q?? I see references to the Electrohome Tech site, but where are the links to the Sony boards....or are they the same??

Quote:
Originally posted by JBosch
Hey everyone. I just have a couple questions about some things I am seeing on my projector. Maybe some of you guys have seen similar things. I have a Sony VPH-1000Q. I know it isn't the greatest but the price was right. And other than my 2 small issues I absolutly love the image it puts out. I am only able to hook it up via S-Videa. From the advice of other forum members I was able to do the anamorphic mod to it. Afterwards the quality jumped from watchable to almost breathtaking. I just built a little stand for it and a Black Out cloth screen and I am nearly satisfied with it. At least until I can afford to pickup either a 1272Q or maybe even a Marquee 8500. Anyways, my questions are what could these 3 pick dots in the middle of the screen be? They only show up during bright scenes...(although i'm sure they are there all the time, they're just visible on white and light colors) . It was the best I could do to get it to show on camera. Also on the Monsters Inc. shot if you look at the top right and top left corners you can see it bow out on the right and bow in on the left. It doesn't show up on the test patterns and it doesn't seem to be visible all the time. Mainly just with 16:9 movies. I seem to have all the adjustments on the test patterns near perfection. I don't think I could do better without hiring someone to ISF calibrate it. That would cost more than I paid for the projector. Anyways if anyone can give me some opinions and ideas I would really appreciate it. Also if you guys have time check out my gallery. I posted some other screenshots. I'm not very good at it, but they seem to be fairly decent. Thanks everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.