AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK folks. I'll get right to the point. Is the 141 minute director's cut better than the theatrical cut? Yes and No.

First the negative: The opening scene features Michelle Yeoh in a scene from modern times, talking about Wushu. It's strange and feels out of place. Also, there is a scene involving a Thai fighter that kind of sticks out. It just feels wrong and should have remained on the cutting room floor.

The rest of the additions really help to flesh out and tell this story. The action scenes are longer and far more violent. The film has more impact. Hopefully this version will be released in the United States.

The Edko Region 3 DVD is outstanding in every way, except for some banding that creeps up from time to time. No edge halos were present (that I noticed). The DTS soundtrack rocks. Serious power, people. Gotta love it!

No English dub, thank God. Just English subtitles, which do flash too fast for my taste once in a while.

There is a short making of that has some good information about the making of the film.

I am praying this puppy is released onto HD-DVD sometime very soon.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I got it last week. I agree on your assesment of the movie. If they left Yeoh out of the film it would have been perfect. Otherwise, it is much better than the theatrical version. The making of is the same one that is on the R1 disc.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I hope it comes to HDDVD as well even if it means importing it I will for the DC. As long as the overseas version is not a combo. Although prehapps ill get the DVD DC

What region is this ans is it NTSC or PAL?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Way more than 11 minutes. The film runs 141 minutes.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg131 /forum/post/0

I have to order this from Yes Asia soon.

Why Yesasia? It's way cheaper at DDDhouse or CDWow. They both carry it for around $16 incl. shipping.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used DDDhouse.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/0

I used DDDhouse.

I used DDDHouse, also. I use them a lot more now since they stopped asking for a sig. when they delivered the package. It use to be a hassle since I was never home and had to go to the post office to pick up the package.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts