AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dish 6000 right now with a Dish 500 Twin LNB pulling in my standard def chanells and 1 18" dish pointed at 61.5 to pull in Dish's HD offerings.

I am wanting to add a DTC-100 to my setup to get just the HD chanells offered by DTV (Hdnet mainly when they come online) I know you have to have A dish pointed at 119 to get DTV's HD chanells. My question is this:

With the LNB's on Dish and DTV being the same since I am only using one output on my Dish 500 Twin oval dish and I know my Dish 500 dish is pointing at 119... can I just run a line straight out from the Dish 500 to the DTC-100 and be able to pick up DTV's bird at 119? Would this work at all? If so what setting would I need to put the DTC-100 on as far as dish shape. Oval or round?

If this is way off please try to go easy on me as I haven't used DTV since before HDTV came out.

Thanks

Kevin C. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Stop DFAST.

Boycott JVC!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Kevin,

I tried this a while back on a Dish 500 system to demonstrate the HD capabilities of a Sony VPL10HT projector and it worked!

It was set on "Oval"

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Kevin,

This is much easier to accomplish using two dual LNBs instead of the TWIN. You can follow the Kevin Timmerman diagrams (they are excellent),
http://www.geocities.com/dbs_tech/

but before anyone tells you that you can't do it with the twin, let me tell you that you can (because I do).

I have a Dish 6000, a Dish 4900, and a DST-3000

The 6000 gets 119 & 110 from the TWIN with 61.5 SW21'ed in.

The 4900 gets 119 & 110 from the TWIN

The DST-3000 gets 101 from an elliptical (but could as easily get it from an 18" round. (Before the smart @#$ses get going, I can't see 119 from the elliptical but do have the Sat C kit installed - just in case). The TWIN line to the 6000 is split with a sat splitter (IMPORTANT) one side power passing, one side not. The TWIN split feed is combined with the 101 feed with a simple $20 22kHz switch and it works to the DST-3000 (which was formerly a DTC-100 for me).

Now here's the "trick." The switching for Dish (addressable) & DirecTV (frequency) are incompatible (which is why the 2 dual LNB solution is preferrable. The 6000 has to be on and set to a 119 station (e.g. TV Land) for the DST to get both sats. Sounds funny but it works flawlessly.

I have a pronto and jumping between STBs set to the correct channels is a breeze, just that the Dish is on when I watch the 3000.

Again the 2 Dual LNB route is more straigtforward and doesn't require the trick, but it would have been more cable runs for me.

Good luck,

Tim

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man this stuff is confusing to me. I have my Dish 6000 hooked up to the left hand side of the twin if you are looking at it from the front. So what I need to do is set my dish 6000 to a 119 chanell then I can watch 119 stuff from the other side of my twin LNB with a line going straight to the DTC-100 with no switches in between? I think I got that right. Please correct me If I am wrong.

You said the dual LNB would be easier but I already have the Dish 500 Twin and have had it for over a year so I will probably stay with it as long as it will work.

Thanks A bunch guys.

Kevin C.

------------------

Stop DFAST.

Boycott JVC!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Or better yet Tim could I wait to split my line (with sat splitter) going from my Dish 500 twin to my 6000 unit right before I plug it in to my 6000. Then run one to the 6000 and one to the DTC-100 and then put the Dish 6000 on a 119 chanell. Will this work since I am combining my 61.5 and 119 feed with a sw21 before I do the split? Thanks for all of your help.

Kevin C. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Stop DFAST.

Boycott JVC!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
What Tim is doing is a little more complicated than what you want to do for a couple different reasons. For one, he's already using both leads on his TWIN because he's sending signals to 2 Dish receivers. And for another, because he wants his DirecTv HD receiver to see both of Dtv's satellites.

To do what you want to do, and what I want to do as well for that matter..that is, just using the unused 119 port on the Twin and feeding nothing but that to a DirecTv receiver to get 119 only for the sake of HD, should work.

I was just experimenting that very thing the other day, although with a non HD Dtv plus receiver. I set it for oval, ran the single lead from the twin that was free, and was able to get the 119 channels like Nasa that are in the clear. The only glitch I saw was when I tried to tune to a channel in the guide that was actually on Dtv's 101 bird. Then the receiver was saying...searching for satellite signal.., which it obviously couldnt find. But it seems if all one wanted to do was tune back and forth between channels on 119 that it worked fine. I can only presume the HD channels would come in fine that way as well with a capable receiver.

------------------

Dan

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Coleman:
Man this stuff is confusing to me. I have my Dish 6000 hooked up to the left hand side of the twin if you are looking at it from the front. So what I need to do is set my dish 6000 to a 119 chanell then I can watch 119 stuff from the other side of my twin LNB with a line going straight to the DTC-100 with no switches in between?
Bingo, but you need another dish for 101 if you want more than the HD feeds (199 & 509). You'll also need to leave the 6000 on (and on a 119 channel, like TV Land) when you use the DTC.

I agree with Dan
Quote:
To do what you want to do, and what I want to do as well for that matter..that is, just using the unused 119 port on the Twin and feeding nothing but that to a DirecTv receiver to get 119 only for the sake of HD, should work.

Kevin, I don't know if you could split the single line but you would need to do two things:

1) Get a sat splitter that passes power to one and no power to the other. Costs about $2 but you need to get the right kind from Stark Electronics or a good electronics store. Don't try a regular cable splitter or a regular DBS splitter.

2) You would need the Dish on and set to a 119 channel in either case.

A little trial an error may be necessary. I know there is an issue with no 101 and getting the guide, but if you have two channels you can just use the back button to bounce back and forth.

Good luck,

Tim

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Tim, Max and Dan.

I understand it now. I need to keep the power from the Dish unit from going into the RCA unit. That is why I need that special splitter if I just want to split off of the Dish line in.

Kevin C.

------------------

Stop DFAST.

Boycott JVC!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.