AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi..im 19 years old and I basically called at least 20 times in a 2 week span and eventually got a Twc HDTV box. Its the same as the regular digital cable box, but its now called...2000HD. They don't have many of these boxes. I get HBO and SHOWTIME in HDTV. But, I just subscribed to the HBO. The showtime kinda has crappy movies. I dont have a auido system so i couldnt tell you if it was in 5.1. I dont know much about Audio. Also..the regular channels look worse on this box than the regular digital cable box. I have a sony vega 32inch HDTV.. so anything that has a bad signal will look even worse on this tv. How the HDTV channels work is....Hbo is 721. If you select this channel as is, You will just get sound. But..if you select video 5 which is where the compoent output is....You will get the High defention video. It ROCKS!!!! It does look better than dvd. But the only thing im wondering is....where are the local channels? What about HDNET? what about CBS?

e-mail me at [email protected] if u have questions or can comement on where the local channels in HD are? what channel numbers?

thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
this is the first time i have heard about the rumored digital cable/HD box from time warner. that is pretty cool. i couldn't tell you where the local channels are. HDNet is on directv only, dont expect it on TWC anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The Scientific Atlanta 2000HD is a variant of the standard SA 2000 Explorer box and is definitely in short supply just about everywhere. I have heard it described a a regular box modified with the addition of a daughter card that adds the HD capability. The outputs on the rear are also significantly different and the firmware inside has been modified as well for HD.

Current program offerings are the east and west coast feeds of HBO and Showtime plus whatever OTA stations are on in your particular area (if any). Note there has to be an agreement between that station and your TW to carry it on the cable.

For example; here from TW of SC we have HBO, SHO, and PBS. Charlotte NC I believe has HBO, SHO, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX (SD only) with PBS coming. Houston TX has just about everything imaginable; and so on.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm getting mine next Wednesday when they come to do a virgin install for my new house. New wiring.. all the way from the pad to the wall plug. I've spoken to the tech guys there, and they've already put mine aside for delivery. :)

I'm happy to hear the HD is good... (and the fact that there's both the East Coast and West Coast HBO feeds... I can watch the Sopranos in HD AFTER the kids go to bed!).

But then the issue is PQ on the non-HD stuff. The basic cable channels now on my Toshiba 40 in. Cinema-wide just SUCK!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Snyder
I'm getting mine next Wednesday when they come to do a virgin install for my new house. New wiring.. all the way from the pad to the wall plug. I've spoken to the tech guys there, and they've already put mine aside for delivery. :)....

But then the issue is PQ on the non-HD stuff. The basic cable channels now on my Toshiba 40 in. Cinema-wide just SUCK!
Tom,

Might I suggest you have TW put in either two drops or split the one with a 2-way splitter (1GHz variety). This will allow you to run one cable from the wall directly to your set and another directly into the SA2000HD. And then have them check the line for adequate signal. They may not want to put a splitter in the line but I consider it mandatory. I have three other drops (analog only) in my house and they put an amp in the system (all wiring is new from the pedestal to all four drops in the house).

Something else to consider (if you have enough inputs and don't mind the redundancy) is to also connect the SA2000HD box to your TV via composite cables for the analog channels. This has been recommended by fellow poster John Mason though I have not yet tried it. You would then use S-Video for the regular digital-tier channels and component for the HD. Lots of cabling when you factor in the audio ones as well. I also have a VCR connected to the cable box and then to the TV though VHS on my Mits is (shudder) yucky. Good luck

·
Registered
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Snyder
I'm getting mine next Wednesday when they come to do a virgin install for my new house. New wiring.. all the way from the pad to the wall plug. I've spoken to the tech guys there, and they've already put mine aside for delivery. :)

I'm happy to hear the HD is good... (and the fact that there's both the East Coast and West Coast HBO feeds... I can watch the Sopranos in HD AFTER the kids go to bed!).

Please see also the info in

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=41402

Sorry guys(and Gals if reading :) ), but only one HBO and SHOW feed, DD 5.1, when available, No locals yet. The "poor" quality of non-HD material probably reflects the upconversion of SD material. Intrestingly, unlike most of the SAT STBs the Sci Atl box outputs component and SVHS (have not checked composite) material concurrently.

So Mholtz2323, try another feeed to the WEGA, it might appear , at least, "sharper", as many have commented regarding the Sat STBs. Much of the nondigital TW stuff is just awful in quality and still awful through this box. I rarely watch locals using cable but use OTA, particularly for network material via Chitowns digitals (not CBS, sigh), which are up.

Still wonder how many boxes are in Milw on TW now.

Bill

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Bill.

Sorry to hear your TW is only carrying one HBO/SHO feed. I guess I was under the belief that alll TW locals were carrying both coasts. Yours may be the first like that and I certainly did not mean to misspeak. I wonder if that is a reflection that your local TW has plans for the bandwidth or perhaps it is just a more limited system? I have no idea how many boxes the rest of TW of SC has but in my town/co of 50k/100k has but three.

Bruce

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yikes... I'm already looking forward to a wiring nightmare. The house design has a TV alcove in one corner of the great room, and the media closet about 17 feet away in another corner. There are two cable runs from the media closet to the back of the alcove, and a single cable feed from outside wall to the media closet. I will be moving my DirecTV dish to the new place (for HDNet, and to use the DTC-100 for the local OTA channels...)

Just trying to figure out where I'll be putting the boxes, and what types and lengths of wire will be running where... component, cable, optical...

...although if I say any more about that, the moderators will move this thread to Hardware! (although that might be OK, cuz there's already a thread about TW-Milwaukee programming Here )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.