Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been looking at widescreen 34" for a few months. Walked into the local Best Buy and low and behold, 2 Open 34" widescreens.

The 1st is a Philips 34PW8520 for $900 and the 2nd is a Sony KV34HS420 for $1268 but it does not have the manual (can download). cables (have these) or the remote (would have to order).

They were right across from one each other plus they had the display models inlcuding the KD34XS955 next to each other. The sony has a nice picture. I was impressed with the Philips as well. I put the Philips on hold beacuse the price is right and the wife wont complain as much. The 420 is still there and should be there when I pcik up the Philips.

They seem to have the same features, the philips sounded better while the Sony looked better. The white was better on the sony but the clearness and crispness was very close. I have a 32" Non-Flat screen Toshiba that is 4 years old and both would be a big improvement.

I do not have HDTV but will be looking to get sometime in the future. I use TIVO and watch some movies. I watch a lot of sports.

Has annyone experienced both? Is the Sony with no remote wit hthe the extra$370? I have not seen much about the Philips so it is difficult to get a read on the quality of the TV.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is their latest model that I saw at BB for under $1150. The 8520 is an older model, i think older than the 8402 that they had before bringing out their 8502. Attached are the specs for this new model. I have a thread of my own asking for feedback on this one, so If you got a look at it and compared to others, I'd like to hear what you thought. It might be worth to get this one for the price instead of an older open box model.

34pw8502_37_pss_eng.pdf 96.9052734375k . file

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark0824
Hi,

I have been looking at widescreen 34" for a few months. Walked into the local Best Buy and low and behold, 2 Open 34" widescreens.

The 1st is a Philips 34PW8520 for $900 and the 2nd is a Sony KV34HS420 for $1268 but it does not have the manual (can download). cables (have these) or the remote (would have to order).

They were right across from one each other plus they had the display models inlcuding the KD34XS955 next to each other. The sony has a nice picture.

Thanks,

Mark
The sony has a fantastic picture!

If you can swing it, I highly recommend the KD34XS955. I got mine at Circuit City (brand new in box) for only $200 more then that KV34HS420 open box model you mention.

The 955 has some additional features that the 420 does not. Well worth the extra cash. (again, if you can swing it)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I picked up the Sony for $1150 with the remote but no manual or cables.

Waiting for a friend to stop by so I can move it itn othe house.

Let you know my what I think after I get it up and running.

Thanks,

mark

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark0824
Well, I picked up the Sony for $1150 with the remote but no manual or cables.

Waiting for a friend to stop by so I can move it itn othe house.

Let you know my what I think after I get it up and running.

Thanks,

mark
Nice move, congratulations!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.