AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Vegas just a little over a week ago and attended the new Celine Dion show at Ceasars. She has what has been billed as the largest HD screen in the world. It was huge- nearly 34 feet by 109 feet (or 3668 square feet). It uses well over 5,000,000 individual LEDs each with 1024 variations in lighting intensity. If anyone is interested in more technical specs, they are peppered into a variety of online news/PR about the show; here's a few links:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/features...s_palace.shtml
http://www.rentalandstaging.com/news...l/0416.1.shtml
http://www.tvbarn.com/archives/010357.html

My expectations for such a giant screen- even though it was HD- were low, as my mentality of great HD quality has been perhaps overly influenced by "up to 73 inch" screens, with what appears to be somewhat lesser quality images from projectors up to cinema screen size. But WOW! It seemed so sharp and they had many special effect shots that dazzled. Indeed, I think I was far more fascinated with the "goings on" on the HD screen than I was with Ms. Dion and the supporting cast. I would have loved to see a little HDnet or ESPNHD on this thing. Now if I can just remember where I put that spare $6 million. ;)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
"Now if I can just remember where I put that spare $6 million."

You will also have to decide into which room of your house you are going to place it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wjbjr
"Now if I can just remember where I put that spare $6 million."

You will also have to decide into which room of your house you are going to place it.
Don't know about you, but none of the rooms in MY house are 109 feet long with 34 foot ceilings! :D

Guess I'd have to add the cost of the ROOM to the 6 mill... :p

·
Registered
589 Posts
With a 3.2:1 aspect ratio, was the picture stretched or did it have side bars? ;)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most of the images on screen were computer generated. Usually, they filled the screen end to end. I think the producer of the show was generally seeking to use the technology to add depth to the stage.

There was one effect- which appeared on the CBS TV special- in which it appeared the camera was aimed into a mirror, which created a mirror in a mirror in a mirror depth effect.

There were also lighting scenes, a rolling, rumbling, full moon sequence with great surround sound, etc. The screen itself wrapped somewhat around at the edges. It looked like a hybrid Imax/Omnimax screen (if one could fly above it and look down it would appear to be a letter "C").

At the beginning- pre show- they had a tiny camera positioned above the screen that would zoom in on members of the audience. I got to see too many "stupid human tricks", with the next person caught on screen trying to outdo the last. This was the only sequence that seemed like screen cropping- only about 30% of the screen was used. Audience members appeared dead center with a black border on all sides in an image wider than tall (maybe 16:9). Otherwise, most everything was full screen.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by majortom
One can just put it in one's back yard and then view it from windows on that side of the house.

/carmi
Hmmmm... still a problem... since my backyard isn't 109 feet deep, I'll have to knock down the house, then I won't have a window to view from! Guess I'll have to make it my Home (drive-in) Theater!!! ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.