AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard this on a radio show. Blu ray sales are down and the studios are banking on the new Pirates of the Caribbean 3d blu ray to drastically improve blu ray sales for the year and make up lost ground especially when it comes to 3D. I heard this movie was garbage.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Down 9.7% as of July based on content but i would think more people will buy the new transformers and captain america. I also think aliens & cowboys is going to be a huge hit on blu.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 /forum/post/20840279

Down 9.7% as of July based on content but i would think more people will buy the new transformers and captain america. I also think aliens & cowboys is going to be a huge hit on blu.

Why would a movie that bombed in the theaters be a huge seller on BD?

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=...sandaliens.htm

·
Registered
167 Posts
Only the first pirates went well with critics, all sequels were crapped on by the critics, but I personally enjoy them quit a bit - in fact I often disagree with the critics. So, I will certainly be purchasing the 3DBD at release. Along with all the 3D movies that released this summer. Already in my amazon account.

Besides, didn't On Stranger Tides do well abroad?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983
That's what I saying...I heard that the studios are hoping that it will make up the ground
the movie made over a billion world wide, people will buy it just because its Disney and a Pirates movie.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decrypticshadow /forum/post/0

They will all be mine as well as long as none are exclusives to anything. That is what is holding the BD3D sales back..

I guess samsungs exclusives are up next month. I saw HTTYD 3D and Megamind 3D are being released soon

·
Registered
710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 /forum/post/20840252

Not sure how much boxoffice sells it made, I think the sells were lower then expected and the movie was panned by movie critics. With that said I will be buying it just because its 3d.

Current issue of Entertainment has an interesting article on how this film (along with Transformers and the new Harry Potter Release) have been 3D box office hits internationally, each amassing over 1 billion. It was pointed out that China alone has hundreds, if not thousands, of digital 3D theaters. There was specific reference to The Pirates On Stranger Tides being a mega success in Brazil. Gist of the article is that while overall movie attendance in the U.S. has declined, it is increasing in foreign markets. Article didn't separate out the success of these films by 2D vs 3D.

Separately, found interesting that Penelope Cruz is currently out promoting the Pirates film with video clips on the TV talk shows. Must be gearing up for the DVD sales since usually you would only see these types of promos just before the theatrical release which for Pirates is now months past.

·
Registered
710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV /forum/post/20864825

Current issue of Entertainment has an interesting article on how this film (along with Transformers and the new Harry Potter Release) have been 3D box office hits internationally, each amassing over 1 billion. It was pointed out that China alone has hundreds, if not thousands, of digital 3D theaters. There was specific reference to The Pirates On Stranger Tides being a mega success in Brazil. Gist of the article is that while overall movie attendance in the U.S. has declined, it is increasing in foreign markets. Article didn't separate out the success of these films by 2D vs 3D.

Separately, found interesting that Penelope Cruz is currently out promoting the Pirates film with video clips on the TV talk shows. Must be gearing up for the DVD sales since usually you would only see these types of promos just before the theatrical release which for Pirates is now months past.

Of course, upon further reflection, maybe so few showed up at the box office the first time they feel they can get away with pretending this is a fresh new released film.

·
Banned
1,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV /forum/post/20864825

Not true of where i come from atleast. They have been declining on the 3d front. Many people now think that it's the same kind of gimmicky jump out effects in every movie and you have to pay more than double the ticket price than the 2d version, so i'll just stick to the 2d version. 3d theaters haven't got much attendance this year compared to the avatar craze and the weak 3d theater releases this year also haven't helped either.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.