AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you know I'm a big fan of Tom Leykis, a talk show guy out of the LA area. Syndicated in Seattle, I listen to that.

Anyways from time to time he has a techy type guy on, usually an editor from some tech magazine. Today he had on Tony Romano, the editor of Sync magazine.

While a lot of info was decent, there was a bunch of stuff I disagreed with.

There was the typical 'LCD vs Plasma' discussion, and this Tony guy said "there's no bad plasma out there. The cheapies show a good pix, they all work well.". He said that you do get what you pay for, but that a cheap Apex was as good as a higher end set. He also recommended Westinghouse.. He mentioned nothing about rebadging, something that I thought should have been brought up. And trust me, there's LOTS of bad low end plasmas out there..:)

Tony also said that you'd never wear out a plasma unless you were watching it 14 hours a day. BS! I've heard of a number of bad plasmas that died well under the 10/20K hour mark, and the things are completely disposable.

Then Tom ( a multimillionaire) mentioned that he had a plasma that you couldn't even buy in stores, you had to buy it from a 'video consultant' . IT was.. guess what... a RUNCO!

Tony chimes in how awesome they were, and went on to say how they used an external processor, Tom says that the processor 'boosted the blacks' and how wonderful that $60K plasma was.

Oh well, another snow job by a rich 'video consultant'.

(attention please, my pricing just jumped 20%, as I am now a 'consultant' I'll be wearing $1200.00 suits and will start smoking cigars and drinking fine wines. I'll throw around descriptive $10.00 words, and will tell everyone that nothing but a $8K 9" set will do. Screw this 'honest' approach I've been working with!)

;) I'm kidding!

The interesting thing that he did say though was that Sony is apparently getting out of CRT TV's as they are losing money on them, and have for some time. Sony was supposedly late getting into the flat screen technology, so that really hurt their business.

So there you go, more valuable info from public radio.

:)

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Valuable information from public radio? OK, I'll let that slide :)

I've noticed wine mentioned twice recently. Not to divert a thread with the first response, I'd like to recommend to those winos in the audience to a little winery called Ledson, in Sonoma County. They've got two acres of pre-blight zinfindel vines (their "ancient vine" zinfindel) that are going on 138 years of production. Good stuff.

Small shop, ~20,000 cases/year (obviously only a small portion ancient vine zin) so you've gotta be a club member or show up in the tasting rooms to buy from them. Highly recommended.

Back on topic:

A friend of mine manages a Magnolia by Best Buy and he told me some interesting stories about the training session they had in St. Louis earlier this year... An hour apiece from all the "high-end HT vendors" and they all said basically the same thing... "Our implementation of (insert commodity technology here) runs rings around that guys implementation (of the same commodity technology) or any previous technology. Contrast ratios are overstated, our PQ is the best!"

Yeah. A whole room full of Instant Experts... Sony gets an hour, inFocus gets an hour, Samsung gets an hour, Denon gets an hour... Sheesh.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I'm always amazed that most people think some product is best just because it cost more. How wrong to think that way..about anything

It's a brilliant marketing ploy thou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme
Many of you know I'm a big fan of Tom Leykis, a talk show guy out of the LA area. Syndicated in Seattle, I listen to that.

Anyways from time to time he has a techy type guy on, usually an editor from some tech magazine. Today he had on Tony Romano, the editor of Sync magazine.

There was the typical 'LCD vs Plasma' discussion, and this Tony guy said "there's no bad plasma out there. The cheapies show a good pix, they all work well.". He said that you do get what you pay for, but that a cheap Apex was as good as a higher end set. He also recommended Westinghouse.. He mentioned nothing about rebadging, something that I thought should have been brought up. And trust me, there's LOTS of bad low end plasmas out there..:)

Tony also said that you'd never wear out a plasma unless you were watching it 14 hours a day. BS! I've heard of a number of bad plasmas that died well under the 10/20K hour mark, and the things are completely disposable.

Then Tom ( a multimillionaire) mentioned that he had a plasma that you couldn't even buy in stores, you had to buy it from a 'video consultant' . IT was.. guess what... a RUNCO!

Tony chimes in how awesome they were, and went on to say how they used an external processor, Tom says that the processor 'boosted the blacks' and how wonderful that $60K plasma was.

(attention please, my pricing just jumped 20%, as I am now a 'consultant' I'll be wearing $1200.00 suits and will start smoking cigars and drinking fine wines. I'll throw around descriptive $10.00 words, and will tell everyone that nothing but a $8K 9" set will do. Screw this 'honest' approach I've been working with!)

;) I'm kidding!

The interesting thing that he did say though was that Sony is apparently getting out of CRT TV's as they are losing money on them, and have for some time. Sony was supposedly late getting into the flat screen technology, so that really hurt their business.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Consultant.....that reminds me

A shepherd was herding his flock in a remote pasture when suddenly a brand-new BMW X5 advanced out of a dust cloud towards him. The driver, a young man in a Broni suit, Gucci shoes, Ray Ban sunglasses and YSL tie, leans out the window and asks the shepherd, "If I tell you exactly how many sheep you have in your flock, will you give me one?"

The shepherd looks at the man, obviously a yuppie, then looks at his peacefully grazing flock and calmly answers: "Sure. Why not?"

The yuppie parks his car, whips out his Dell notebook computer. He connects it to his AT cell phone, surfs to a NASA page on the Internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite navigation system to get an exact fix on his location. He feeds it to another NASA satellite that scans the area in an ultra-high-resolution photo. Then the young man opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop and exports it to an image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany. Within seconds, he receives an email on his Palm Pilot that the image has been processed and the data stored. He then accesses a MS-SQL database through an ODBC connected Excel spreadsheet with hundreds of complex formulas. He uploads all of this data via an email on his Blackberry and, after a few minutes, receives a response.

Finally, he prints out a full-color, 150-page report on his hi-tech, miniaturized HP LaserJet printer and turns to the shepherd and says, "You have exactly 1586 sheep."

"That's right. Well, I guess you can take one of my sheep," says the shepherd. He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on amused as the young man begins to stuff it into the trunk of his car.

Then the shepherd says to the young man: "Hey, if I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my sheep?" The young man thinks for a second and then says, "Okay, why not?"

"You're a consultant," says the shepherd.

"Wow! That's correct," says the yuppie, "but how did you guess that?"

"No guessing required," answered the shepherd. "You showed up here even though nobody called you; you want to get paid for an answer I already knew; to a question I never asked; and you know nothing about my business. Now give me back my f**king dog."

Walt

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Curt - you are right about the Sony CRT thing - the managers of that division are highly embarrassed by the sales of crt units; if it wasn't for the image thing, the consensus is that Sony would just spin off the crt-tv thing all together. This was all in a press release a week or so ago. - no, I'm not Clarence, so I'm not going to post the link - wait a minute, think it was actually posted up top here at AVS, while you were away in the boonies.

I guess they make more money with bad movies than they do with bad tvs. :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just listened to that show (we don't get it live). I liked all the cell phone and gadget talk but when I heard "your not going to burn up a plasma unless you are in a vegetative state" I couldn't believe it. Overall a great show though.

Dan

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it's interesting, I get all riled up when I don't agree with some guy talking about techy stuff that's audio or video related.

What a geek I am!

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
Quote:

Curt,

yes, I also read this information somewhere, maybe cnn.com or something. Sony will probably work more towards the plasma/LCD tv market. Will they actually scrap their CRT TV plants....that is rather strange, but again it could be true. I do not see too many people raving about CRT "boobtubes" anymore.

I still do, though ! :eek:

Rajiv

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:

;) I'm kidding!

Curt,

The guy must be a real a-hole if he thinks there are no bad Plasma TVs. He just needs to see the ones that Wal-Mart sells. They look SO BAD, that I thought they were LCD. As far as I'm concerned, the best looking Plasmas are made by Pioneer and Fujitsu. I'm not even thrilled with the NEC's, although they're not the worst. The most IMPRESSIVE digital TVs are the JVC rear screen D'ILAs. When the change finally comes and CRT finally fades away, it will be LcOS (D'ILA) technology that leeds the way. If they pushed D'ILA like Texas Instruments pushes DLP, there wouldn't be any DLP. :D

Bruce

btw- You can be sure......if it's Westinghouse.:D

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
wow, so Sony is getting rid of CRT televisions now too! Well of course, why would you want to sell a television that last 15 years when you can sell someone a POS plasma that costs 10 times as much and lasts 1/10th as long :mad: OH well, they have sunk pretty low in my book, looks like my next TV will be a Panasonic.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Just an FYI, the local Sony plant where they make CRT's and flatscreens is running ads to hire assemblers. So I don't think they are closing this plant any time soon.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm
wow, so Sony is getting rid of CRT televisions now too! Well of course, why would you want to sell a television that last 15 years when you can sell someone a POS plasma that costs 10 times as much and lasts 1/10th as long :mad: OH well, they have sunk pretty low in my book, looks like my next TV will be a Panasonic.
:p They DO last forever! I had brand new trinitron picture tubes that I sold on Ebay for $.99 because nobody EVER replaces them. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.