AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife rented a film called Tadpole starring Bebe Neuwirth and the kid that plays Pyro in X2. Turns out it was a low budget Independent film.

It did not have a Letterbox option, so we watched it 4:3. After a couple minutes it looked like it was squeezed a little bit. So I tried a 16:9 stretch thinking it might not look too bad. Turns out - it must have been filmed in 16:9 and rather than pay to have it edited Pan & Scan, they just squeezed the rectangle horizontally into a square.

I don't know if this is common, but it is the first movie I have seen formatted this way.

·
Registered
838 Posts
This sounds like an anamorphic DVD. Anamorphic DVDs are widescreen, but fit the entire region of picture content into the DVD image to make full use of the available resolution.

Your DVD player should have a setting in its menu (not the menu of the DVD, but the setup menu of your player) to select the type of display you have. You should be able to select a 4x3 display, and your DVD player will automatically re-squeeze anamorphic DVDs into the right shape.

- Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
CPanther95,

They are few and far in between, I have seen a few DVD's that support 16:9 without the letterbox bars. One example is "Get Shorty" where it fills out the entire screen without aspect distortion. Not very many DVD's fill the whole screen unfortunately. With the exception of this movie the only other ones I have noticed are a good amount of the Disney animated movies use the entire 16:9 screen [ Yes, I'm a dad :eek:) ] It would be nice if more would ship this way though.

~Roy

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Tadpole is 1.85:1 aspect ratio and anamorphic. Spiderman, Dune miniseries, Back to the future movies all examples of other dvd releases(besides toystorys, monsters inc etc) formatted this way. You won't ever see all movies this way as it is a creative decision made by the film makers as to how they want the movie presented in the theater. I agree it's nice to not have bars. I wonder if we'll see a 2.35:1 widescreen tv in the future for movie fans? Course then they'd have bars for hdtv ..lol. Most important thing for me is to see the whole film as intended by the film maker. I've actually started to notice when widescreen movies place actors and props closer together in a widescreen movie to simplify future pan and scanning....yikes!! Thankfully blockbuster is starting to carry wide and p&s versions which tells me the masses are starting to catch on.

Cheers,

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.