AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... I finally joined the dark side

I signed up for E* today. Until today (actually next Monday), I got service from a small cheap local cable company (QAM in the clear). They were recently bought out by Comcast, so I decided to look elsewhere. Since I have two plasmas and a 1080p front projector, I decided to get the DishHD package as well as locals, HBO, Showtime and Cinemax with two HD-DVRs (722) and one single tuner receiver (211). Since Cinemax is only 1 cent for the first year and they gave me $10 off per month for the first year, my bill will only be $62.97+tax per month. They are also giving me a $39.99 credit on the 1st, 10th and 20th month of the agreement (which effectively means the average monthly bill will stay the same for the entire 2 years). Not bad considering I'll get 53HD stations and 23SD station (with 18 of the 23 premium movie channels). I'd say it's well worth the money. Since I live in central CA, weather is not an issue. I can't wait to get it up and running!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Actually, it's the cable companies that are the dark side. I had cable for 9 years, and would never ever go back. Satellite is more reliable and a better value for TV. Throw high speed internet into the equation and it is a different argument.

I have to laugh at the ads that say you don't lose cable due to weather, because I would lose it for a couple of hours every thunderstorm. If I lose satellite at all, it's usually just minutes.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I didn't lose cable in thunderstorms. I lost it on clear days on the weekends and was told that they wouldn't be out to fix it until Monday.

BTW, those Dish receivers you mentioned have OTA capabilities, so you don't even have to deal with re-compressed HD locals unless you want to.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Great price for the first two years.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys... I can't wait

As for the locals... do I need to add an external antena to pick up the locals? If so, how do I splice that into the dish line? How do configure the sat receivers to pick 'em up? I would imagine PQ on the OTA signals is better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts