Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is my first jump in projectors etc..

I bought a BENQ 7100 projector 1800 Lumens 2000:1.

DVD in 480p. I use it in a 25' basement with wood paneling walls.

The problem is that the images in dark scenes are very foggy. Or I better say they have too much light that interferes with the picture itself.

I use a 95" Dazian(.95 gain matte white) DIY screen I made 4:3. At this point I'm not sure it's the projector defective or I'm not doing something right. I can't stand the fog in dark scenes. If put my hands over my eyes and look through a small crack between my fingers, the fog seems to dim down and images immediatelly become nicer with contrast. Bright images look very good. If I put the projector in "Blank" mode I see that exact fog/brightness that bothers me in low light movie scenes.

Is my projector too powerfull ? too many lumens or flawed? How can I cut this foggyness down ? All I want is darker blacks and better contrast.

Adjusting PJ settings does nothing to remedy this. Picture or no picture that brightness stays the same and seems to be from the lamp.

Any info/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

IF you guys think something is wrong with my unit I will take some pictures for you to see.

BTW: I just borrowed my friend's In-Focus ScreenPlay 4800 1100 lumens and It seems to be better in avoiding this foggyness of dark scenese. But, the colors and quality of the 4800 are a bit lower than the BENQ 7100.

l8r

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Well, I would say nothing is wrong with the PJ, probably just your expectations being your first entry into FP. What is your frame of reference besides the 4800? (It does not surprise me that the 4800 has a little better contrast... its more of a HT machine... the 7100 is more of a business projector if I am not mistaken...)

Andrew

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew_Ballew
Well, I would say nothing is wrong with the PJ, probably just your expectations being your first entry into FP. What is your frame of reference besides the 4800?

I have seen a bunch of LCD projectors in 800 lumen area. Not much of other references.

(It does not surprise me that the 4800 has a little better contrast... its more of a HT machine... the 7100 is more of a business projector if I am not mistaken...)

Hmm, why would it be less of contrast in a business unit ? It seems that dimming up some lights does not get rid of the high brightness.

Also, after playing a bit with the 4800 I noticed that with the contrast setting all the way up is twice as bright as the 7100. Also, the whites on the 4800 look pretty white, on the 7100 they look washed out/gray and with a carrot/red brick gamma. And it's not the tint color temp etc.

The more I look at the 7100 I realise this thing is not only foggy in dark scenes but it seems to be washed out too in some med to dark scenes.

And I seem to squint to see the picture as if sand is in my eyes. None of these symptoms on the 4800.

One more very interesting thing I noticed, when sending a 480p signal to the Benq projector the image seems nice with contrast for 1 second, after which the unit seems to adjust/calibrate itself to a red brick kinda washed out image. I also tried this on a white text image, and yes as soon as I send the signal the whites are white then it pops in that gray look.

Can there be something wrong with the units auto calibration or it is calibrated for "BUSINES" whatever that would mean in image quality terms.

Can the lumens be the problem ? too many ?

A plus for the 7100 is the way the matrix dots are masked. On the 4800 they are pretty visible from 12'.

I'm thinking RMA...

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.