AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been assured it has the upgrade in it!!!

Ok.. so I am new to settin up the Home Theater with a PJ. I plan to figure out the ceiling mounting location when I get it, so I can then plan the size screen that fits good in my room. I assume this kind of setup is in the manual, but is there any advice you pros can give for this newbie??

thanks...

I also need to google AVIA and DVE.. to find a place to get those CDs (DVDs?). Once I get it setup with my goo systems screen.. I am sure I am going to be asking calibration questions.....

I am just excited to say I bought one today.. and I will get it on thursday!

:D the waiting is the hard part...

Do you set this on top of a ladder or something? or just hold it up? to figure out ceiling mounting location...

I will also want to verify the firmware on it.. does anyone know how to check that? oh.. I guess I should read the manual.. I saw where to download it from the official faq.

B

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am planning for the installation and I am going to get a DVI cable for the projector and then get a DVD player for the DVI connection on the projector. I have heard mixed reviews about the Bravo D1... but good things about the Panasonic DVD-S97 DVD Player. Anyone have first hand experience with DVDs and the DVI input on the Optoma? any suggestions on the DVD player?

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase.

I have the Bravo, Oppo and have seen the S97 in my home. Kinda nice seeing the old Panasonic menu array, I'd say get the Pany.

Yes march the projector back and look for a ceiling stud, also leaving youself some zooming room either way. You'll need to have the center lens enter the top area of the screen to avoid any keystone use. A mount with an extension pole or build a DIY shelf.

Most likely you'll see the C17 firmware. Don't play with the gamma options or anything else in the service menu, you really don't need to. Mess with the gamma table options and you might pick up a color shift problem.

Looking from the back of the machine while upright, the four diagonal buttons in a row, hit the two left ones and the far right one at the same time.

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,744 Posts
Tom missed a remimder I think is very important. He said "or anything else" but let me emphasize, REALLY don't touch the ADC (That's the acrynonym isn't it Tom?). Anyway, that one can bite you. And I advise IF you chose to go in the SM at all, write everything down befoe so much as pressing the exit button on a submenu. But unless you have a calibration instrucment (and maybe even if you do), the advanced RGB user controls will do everything one would want.

Now that I look back at your original post, I'd advise, check the FW, then carefully press exit ;)

Cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am planning to do a DIY shelf since I am finishing the basement at the same time. I didnt realize the PJ had to enter the picture on the wall... so no keystone... thanks for the help on the FW check

·
Registered
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryracer
I have been assured it has the upgrade in it!!!

B
Surprised no one has commented on this. From the info provided in this forum it is REAL unlikely that you or anyone will get a H77 with the panning fix upgrade unless you buying it from a beta tester. If this is not the case your dealer is most likely telling you what you want to hear and is full of it..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
htaddict - I would tend to agree with you!... but when i bought it i mentioned AVS forums and they are a vendor that advertises on this forum website (PP). I also read a previous post where another person was told the same thing.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=569961 mforte and jefropage both thought highly of PP.

I did however want to know how to check it so i could be sure when i got it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
bryracer It will not have the panning fix. There are only 8 H77s that will and I am one of them. If you see the panning problem, you will have to have Tom upgrade it for you. That is when Optoma gives him the DMD controller flash firmware and the related hardware to install it. Some people will never be able to see the panning problem. it is kind of like some people will not see rainbow effects. Just hope that you are that person that will not see either. :)

Dale

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Dale, well put and sums it up.

What's being said is the projectors have the latest and greatest, firmware C17 which was implemented to fix the PAL contouring/panning etc. It also helped the NSTC's a little.

I wouldn't keep pressuring dealers, it may blown up in our faces. End result zero upgrade. shssssh

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just got the unit today...pulled it out of the box to see... firmware C17.

I also did notice some flickering (I didn't have a source hooked up) and I saw a white horizontal bar sometimes appear while in the service menu.

I checked the manual and it says to check the phase..... I won't get a chance to mess with it anymore tonight, but maybe tomorrow. I will hook it up to a source tomorrow and check the phase and see if it improves... PP gives me like 7 days and 4 lamp hours of use before I need to return it.

I hope my baby is ok....

B

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok so I don't have a large white wall to see the output of the PJ so I improvised with a grey king sized sheet... (white wasn't avail). I was trying to figure out the placement of the PJ and the size of the screen on the wall. And get the WA (Wife Approval) for appearance, fung shwei and trading spaces... bs..

I hooked the H77 up to a DVD player I had lying around and quickly just hooked it up to an S-Video cable. The H77 found the dvd player and I saw Spiderman 2 goodness on the sheet/wall! No flickering was seen as on DAY #1, I noticed a couple of things.

- I saw that out of the box, it looked like the PJ is set for sitting on a table and to be projected on a screen up high. So if it was horizontally mounted the screen goes above its centerline. I assume I can change this with lense shift..for the purposes of this demo I just increased the rear legs A TON.

- I noticed some grey/black area above the 16x9 image. (after properly setting up the dvd player to know that I have a 16x9 TV - this black area decreased.) But on a 4' high screen about 4" on top and bottom was black or grey. Someone at work who also has a PJ said this was normal that this was the overscan? or crap forgot the term. I am going to try a 4x3 source DVD to see how this changes.

But this co-worker said that this is the reason why some people use a black border around the screen.

Lastly, I would like to use this thread to contain my findings with my HT project from cradle to fruitition. And the lessons learned may be beneficial to other newbies.

Next... tonight I plan to tape off an area on the insulation in my basement with the size of the planned screen. 49" x 79"?? the max screen size from a 4'x8' sheet of MDF. we need to be sure if this size will work for us....

-

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Get as big a screen as you can, 106" diagonal is popular. Find a 1.85 DVD there's no bars above and below. I think Spider Man is 2.35. Men in Black is 1.85, Soprano's also.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I second the recommendation on the S-97. After using a very well setup and researched HTPC for a long time, I went with the S-97 and have been thrilled ever since. The oppo and bravo units have there issues. ;)

·
Registered
15,497 Posts
The black bars on the top and bottom of the screen are normal for Panavision/CinemaScope/Super 35 photographed movies in the 2.35:1 and above aspect ratios. Spiderman 2, Batman Begins, Star Wars (the original 3), the Indiana Jones Trilogy, Jaws, etc. were shot in anamorphic Panavision.

You will also see black bars on movies shot in 70mm, which usually have a ratio of 2.20:1.

Remember, HDTV is a ratio of 1.78:1, so not all movies will fit. You will learn to live with it, and if you can't you should invest in a horizontal anamorphic lens like the Prismasonic H-1000 line of prisms, or the ISCO III lens, and do a 2.35:1 ratio, constant height screen. No black bars, a brighter picture, and a true theater-like experience!!! The Optoma has the requisite scaling function to prep your 2.35:1 movies for an anamorphic lens. I've also heard that the Optoma's allow this scaling function to work with ALL video resolutions, including high definition! A rare bonus!

Dan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
taped off the 100" diagonal screen on the wall and wife and I agreed that is a decent size screen with our room size. I am going to prep now the screen. the DIY Screen based on goo systems paint. I plan on getting a 8' x 4' piece of MDF. paint it flat white. And then roll on the goo!.... Actually I may the professional painters that are going to paint my basement... paint the "screen".

If I do the above... I may border it with a 4" border of wood and paint that the goo black that comes with it.... then for WA (wife approval) I have to frame it in on the wall.

I am still unsure as to why I need to border the screen in black. I see some professional installations and they don't border it with black.

I ended up buying the Panny S97 and the Yammy RX-V757. Thanks for all the input here.

So I tried the 30' component cable today and I didn't see any problems with it. It is hard to really see a difference from 480p and 480i on a grey sheet hanging on the wall.

I grabbed a 4x3 full screen DVD and the projector still was set to 16x9 and it stretched it to 16x9. So I found the format button on the remote and found that native and window seemed to fix that. For some reason I figured it might do that automatically. Hmm it is about time I broke out the manual.

I ordered the AVIA and DVE DVDs last night. So I will read the manual in preperation for those DVDs to arrive. Speakers are on order and should get here tomorrow (htd.com)

I am pretty amazed so far at the size and clarity and color of the picture (even on the sheet). I can't wait to see it finished on the goo screen with HDTV Football this fall.

There are some odds and ends I will need to figure out later, like remote controls and possibly DVI or component switch boxes (if I outgrow the Yamaha RX-V757).

UPS is on its way too..

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Welcome to the big screen club. :)

Sounds good you're on your way to wonderful home theater movie watching.

Nice color heh?

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
[/quote]

I am still unsure as to why I need to border the screen in black. I see some professional installations and they don't border it with black.
bryracer,

The black border helps in a couple ways. If there is "junk" in the TV signal it can be hidden in the black. The other thing it does is visually pull the screen away from the wall. I would not be without the black border. There is a reason all professionally made screens have it.

So IMO highly recommend it!!

Scott

·
Registered
254 Posts
Can you confirm that the lens shift only allows the projector to be placed between the top and bottom of the image? I was hoping that it would allow the pj to be mounted above the top of the image, but I don't think that is the case. Fortunately, this won't affect my decision to purchase it!

Thanks and congrats!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.