AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got it for $2900. I can't wait for it to be delivered. I'll probably have it on Monday.

This is my first RPTV.

Any suggestions or Tips & Tricks I should know when I set it up?

I have the Avia DVD and I shouldn't have any trouble doing a convergence adjustment.

I am slightly concerned that watching 4:3 video might cause burn in.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
As soon as you get that bad boy...calibrate contrast with AVIA. Also, learn to watch the stretch mode for most 4:3 video and you won't have to worry about burn-in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. If I calibrate the contrast properly will I be able to watch 4:3 without worrying? I hate to watch a distorted picture.

EDIT: I'm also a little concerned about burn-in of my TiVo menus.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
hutchca,

I have been watching 4:3 material on my Pioneer Elite in "Natural Wide" mode for almost 4 years, and the distortion is barely noticeable. (Yes, if I really try I can notice it, but I don't). The irritation of having all of that wasted screen space on either side of a 4:3 display was just too much, and my wife REALLY hated it.

I would be very surprised if you got any burn-in of your TiVo menus. They aren't on the screen for that long, and TiVo has a nice feature of always going to "live TV" after a few minutes so that the menu won't be on the screen that long. It is possible to pause a recorded broadcast in the same place forever, which might have that problem. Just don't do that.

Enjoy your Pioneer! For NTSC content (including TiVo) it is one of the best out-of-the-box choices out there!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
You can watch tv in 4:3 mode but not for long periods. A few hours here and there is ok if you use it in widescreen a lot as well to even it out. You would be surpised how watchable the stretch modes are though> Most of my guests never notice it is streched.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
I would not watch the bar mode exclusively. Use the stretch as often as possible. I do use the bar modes for critical viewing like NBA playoffs or other programs in which the stretching becomes a nuisance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advise.

I guess I need to be careful about burn in, but I don't have to be overly paranoid about it.

I was hoping that since the sides of the 4:3 were filled in with a neutral grey, that would reduce the likelyhood of burn-in. That's probably the intention but I guess it's not as effective as I would have hoped.

My current 27" TV is on top of a cabinet that puts it ~3ft off the ground.

I'm used to the TV being up high so the middle of the screen is eye level or slightly higher when sitting down.

I'm expecting to have to raise this TV at least a few inches when I get it but I haven't seen it in my house yet so I'm not sure.

Of course I'll wait and see where the optimum viewing angle is at the distance of my couch. (~7 or 8 Feet)

Is it common to raise an RPTV off the floor a bit to bring it up to the optimum viewing angle?

Are there any other tips I should know about?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.