AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Toshiba 46XV645U. Like anyone else I reaserched it and I loved what I read. The HD channels look great. Now for the rest. A lot of the non HD channels have a soft look. Some of them even have a blocky look to the lines on cartoons. I have it hooked it up to our cable company with a HD receiver. In order to get a full screen on the non HD channels I have to use the zoom through the cable box or I have been using Theaterwide 1. Is there a setting I have missed or need to change to get a better picture? I have noticed that when there is a lot of black on the screen I see what looks like black squares. What could be causing this? I have it hooked up with composite cables right now but will be hooking it up with HDMI soon. (I bought one and the resolution was bad, but got better when I hooked up the cables that the box came from)

I have also noticed a single blip of light on the screen on the left side about a quarter of the way in when turning it on or off or if the screen changes.

I looked in the Calibration section and there was nothing for my TV. Is there any place I can look so I can calibrate the setting properly?

Thanks for all your help and sorry for the long message.

Kingcrabb

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
wait so your watching HD channels on an HD box with the box connected via a single yellow composite cable??

if you have a set and i bet you do of normal yellow-white-red a/v cables laying around you can use them to connect your cable box to the TV via component video

connect it like this to make it easy to remember

Yellow cord to Green jack

White cord to Blue jack

Red cord to Red jack

this will vastly improve HD channel quality and will even slightly improve SD channels. HDMI will not offer much of an increase if any over component video because cable TV is over compressed esp on SD channels and that is probably most of what your seeing

·
Registered
304 Posts
Maybe he meant to say component? He says HD channels looked great....I don't think he'd even be able to view HD channels via composite input.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setzer /forum/post/18187570

Maybe he meant to say component? He says HD channels looked great....I don't think he'd even be able to view HD channels via composite input.

yeah you can with most HD boxes, i have one in my room hooked up to my TV with HDMI and to a 19" PC monitor via composite video HD channels display on both at the same time

1 - 4 of 4 Posts