AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a 60in sharp elite off of ebay and i thought about buying a 4k tv, but all I ever heard was how the black weren't that great unless you pay 6000 or up for one and I would like to know if I'm alone with staying with 1080p? am I crazy for not buying a 4k tv?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes you are. I mean do some easy searches and you will find the P70 series has blacks on par with an Elite. I should know I have owned both
I believe me, I did..Cnet said, its biggest weakness was brighter highlights than any of the other displays -- too bright, in fact. The glints from the Room's brighter bric-a-brac in that scene were markedly more brilliant than any of the others, including our reference plasma, which looked very similar to the Sony. This extra pop actually made the scene look less realistic... soundandvision.com said.Minus
Picture processing adds edge-enhancement, noise
Poor handling of images with film grain
Washed-out-looking highlights.... hdguru.com said
Conclusion
While the P652ui-B2 does produce a true 4K UHD image and has a pleasingly vibrant, dark and punchy picture that might be satisfying for the uninitiated or casual viewer, it has a number of compromises for the enthusiast. One might be able to work around the upconversion and connection issues with an upconverting BD player and a separate switcher. And the uniformity and light leak might be particular to our sample. But there’s no way around the edge enhancement that tends to make the image grainy. And the key attraction to the TV is the local dimming, which creates good blacks, but crushes too much shadow detail and overly enhances the gamma. The increase in panel resolution over 2K HD at a$2200 price does not justify the resulting picture when compared to even Vizio’s own 1080p models, let alone competitors.
Given our preference for accuracy over enhancement, HD Guru sees no choice but to award the Vizio P652ui-B2 1 out of 5 Hearts, our lowest rating.

·
Registered
496 Posts
you used cnet as your resource..........

please do yourself a favor and visit the P series owners thread which has THOUSANDS of posts and even more happy owners. The latest firmware puts this tv as a top competitor amongst many more expensive brand.
Hey buy what you want its your money but for having 4k vs a almost four year old tv (especially from ebay) its almost a no brainer to me.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
I just bought a 60in sharp elite off of ebay and i thought about buying a 4k tv, but all I ever heard was how the black weren't that great unless you pay 6000 or up for one and I would like to know if I'm alone with staying with 1080p? am I crazy for not buying a 4k tv?
Unless you have a specific reason for needing a so-called "4K" TV, and are willing to pay a lot more for one, then no you're not crazy at all.

The vast majority of TV watchers have no use for anything more than a 1080p TV. ;)

That Sharp Elite is probably the best LCD TV ever made.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

please do yourself a favor and visit the P series owners thread which has THOUSANDS of posts and even more happy owners. The latest firmware puts this tv as a top competitor amongst many more expensive brand.
Hey buy what you want its your money but for having 4k vs a almost four year old tv (especially from ebay) its almost a no brainer to me.
I forgot to add I'm one of the people who likes 3D and the Vizio P doesn't have it.....

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
The Sharp Elite is literally the best LCD television ever produced. No, the P-series is not anywhere close to being in the same league as the Elite. The P-series suffers from blooming (low zone count), poor video processing, and poor build quality. So congrats, you own one of the best television every made. The Elite also has a 240hz panel, while the P-series is just 120hz. If I were you I would try to get a square trade warranty.

·
Registered
496 Posts
right.... but look at how many reviewers are talking about 3d. the prices are still way too high. Do you hear about new movies being released in 3d.
The reality is it died for a reason a few times before, just not enough content etc. While I am not disputing a movie done well with 3d isnt a great experience, most of the general public isnt of the same feeling.

·
Registered
8,392 Posts

please do yourself a favor and visit RTINGS :rolleyes:] look at those blooming trails :eek:
https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/zBKivGo7HdY?rel=0

- Poor viewing angle (except the 55"). The TV's colors change significantly when you view it from an angle.
- It has a very long motion blur trail on full-color transitions.
- Sub par upscaling. Lower resolution content look soft.
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/vizio/p-series

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
To me it would depend on how much you paid for the Elite? Anything more the $2K and I would have probably waited until Black Friday to grab a 4K with HDR or a OLED.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
Congrats this a great tv and a reference tv ,no other LCD tv have yet beat this tv on black performance ,.Im waiting for an LCD to perform like this panel but they use less zones and the FALD hasn't be implemented the right way.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
You made the perfect decision, as your set easily blows away over 95% of LCDs manufactured since then. Going this route (or with a recent top-end plasma) gives you the best possible cheap holdover set until OLED becomes more affordable in large sizes.

Reactions: Simon R.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts