AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I just bought the panasonic TH50PZ85U.

I already have hdmi cables, a PS3, and a surround sound system.

what I dont know anything about are mounting solutions and power conditioners/surge protectors. How high end of each do i need? How many joules do I need on the surge protector? and how will I know if a mounting bracket will fit my TV?

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
I don't think you need a power conditioner. Standard surge protector should be fine. Read the TV's manual for details on which mounts to buy.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts

Quote:
I just bought my first plasma, what else do i need?

You need to take a few days off, go rent a bunch of blu-rays and PS3 games, throw your kids and wife out of the house, order a pizza, get some beers, and sit back and let the good times roll!!

Oh and once you've satisfied all of your own HD needs, call over a few buddys to let them enjoy it also.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would get a good quality power bar, but other than that you should be more aware of the basic rules of plasma maintenance. Not sure how familiar you are with plasma TV sets but there are things that you should be careful of in the first 100-200 hours of use.

Image retention, burn-in, and uneven phosphor break-in are still the achilles' heel of plasma TV technology. While most new plasmas are very resistant to this, none are completely immune to it. This is especially true during the "break-in" period. It is consistently recommended that you only view full screen (no sidebars) HD content without having any static logos shown for long periods of time. Some individuals go as far as to break in their sets by running a DVD displaying blank screens of various colors for the first 150 hours of their TV's life. Essentially, you want to break in your panel evenly so you don't get a reduction in picture quality as the set ages.

If you are interested in the break-in DVD, an iso image can be downloaded here .

Just to be clear, you don't need to run the break-in DVD, you just need to have full screen, non-static content on the display to break it in evenly. Viewing full screen Blu-Ray movies for the first 100-200 hours works just as well as the break-in disk while allowing you to enjoy your TV right away.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Have you gotten a tank to refill the plasma phosphers when they run out?????

//I kid, I kid

Many mount manufacturers have websites that allow you to put in your make/model TV and they will let you know what mounts they have that are compatible. Check out the following manufacturers (this is a short, non-exclusive list):

Chief Manufacturing

Sanus

Peerless

Premier

Monster

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips guys, I knew about the break in period, but didn't know about the image dvd. Ill get that because I'm not sure how long it will take for my cable company to get out and get me an hd box. I'll just hook up a dvd player and let it go for a week.

I have an older samsung DLP, and the guy at Best Buy told me that I needed to get a power strip with a conditioner and all this stuff and it cost me $250, (along with a $90 hdmi cable). He said that if I didn't get the one with the power conditioner, the image on the TV would flicker. I've learned since then, and realized that Best Buy is the worst place to buy this kind of stuff. but I wasn't sure what was really needed as far as the joule ratings went.

I can't wait to rewatch some of the Blu Rays I already have like 300 and the Dark Knight in 1080p. Luckily my girlfriend is a big movie fan too, and she'll want to watch them with me so I want be getting any flack from her.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow24 /forum/post/15485499

I have an older samsung DLP, and the guy at Best Buy told me that I needed to get a power strip with a conditioner and all this stuff and it cost me $250, (along with a $90 hdmi cable). He said that if I didn't get the one with the power conditioner, the image on the TV would flicker. I've learned since then, and realized that Best Buy is the worst place to buy this kind of stuff. but I wasn't sure what was really needed as far as the joule ratings went.

All BS. This isn't necessary at all.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Nobody mentioned the all important break-in dvd. Downloading and burning this disk is a MUST....unless of course you already have a good coaster for your beer. (water spots on a wood coffee table can be a *****)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I got my TV delivered today! I had to use a vacation day to be here to get it because the company only delivered on weekdays though. I got it setup on the stand, (mount will come soon) and Im ready to go. I burned the break in DVD, but I was wondering, should I not watch anything until after the break in dvd runs for 150 hours? or could I watch a blu ray if i wanted?

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow24 /forum/post/15534000

So I got my TV delivered today! I had to use a vacation day to be here to get it because the company only delivered on weekdays though. I got it setup on the stand, (mount will come soon) and Im ready to go. I burned the break in DVD, but I was wondering, should I not watch anything until after the break in dvd runs for 150 hours? or could I watch a blu ray if i wanted?

As long as the blu ray fills the whole screen I think it's fine.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow24 /forum/post/15534000

While running the break in DVD if you go that route, you'll be running the panel with the contrast and brightness turned way up......If you do decide to watch some movies or regular TV, just be sure to turn down the brightness and contrast to a reasonable level and enjoy.

I kept two pre sets set up during break in...one for the BI disc and the other for normal viewing. You can enjoy your TV at any time during break in, don't sweat it. Just dial it down first.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/15536359

Just to clarify here, your brightness setting doesn't matter during the burn in period. Only the contrast/picture setting is important.

I havent changed any of the settings of the TV out of the box. I didnt watch a blu ray, and will probably just wait until the break in period is over with. Should I change the contrast/'picture to something more for normal viewing. I have some settings for the TV from these and other forums. I didnt think you were supposed to change the settings until after it was broke in, but Im a little confused now.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow24 /forum/post/15485499

Just make sure you buy a quality surge protector. I cheaped on my first $$$ AVR and fried the PS.

So now, ive bought a surge protector/power line conditioner (something like this Belkin SP - but an older model, im not home right now) and ive been happy since.

·
Registered
940 Posts
If money is not an issue, get a PANAMAX power conditioner. I receommend the 5400...has come in really handy with multiple components, etc...

If money is tight a Belkin Surge Protector will do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went ahead and ordered a Belkin surge protector/conditioner.

as far as the bars and tv settings go, Im running the break in dvd, and ill run that until at least Saturday (when my HD box is being installed) and when i started up the tv it asked me home set up or store setup. I chose home assuming the store setup would be on all the brightest settings.

Quote:
Snow, just avoid "bars" and vivid setting for the first 100 hours and you'll be fine. Seriously, enjoy the thing.

thanks, Ill try to stop worrying about it and just relax

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ive ran about 200 hours on my TV to this point between actual TV broadcasts and mostly the break in DVD. I watched Lost last night and it looked fantastic. Actually, I don't know if fantastic covers how well it actually looked. I watched some of the Cavs/Blazers game afterward.

My only complaint is that sometimes whites look a little grainy, and the game looked pretty good to aside from the score box in the bottom corner, it didn't look very crisp.

is this because the gases in the plasma are still breaking in? or possibly because i haven't calibrated the TV yet? Im still running with the preset numbers.

anyway,Thanks for everyone's help so far

1 - 20 of 22 Posts