AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my replacement HT1000 yesterday, after waiting three weeks and constant phonecalls with NEC, UPS and DHL.

The new HT1000 has good brightness uniformity as far as I can tell, but it has a new problem. The picture has four 3-4" wide egg-like shapes in the middle. It's the same shape but it's reflected four times in the picture, and I assume it's from the lens somewhere. If I move the projector in it's mount the eggs follow the picture. I also tried table-mounting it and the egg-shapes followed. Damn! I'm so sick of projector-problems! I watched The Others with wome friends last night and they kept popping up whenever it was dark in that area. Two of the egg-shapes are brighter than the other two.

I can't see any fingerprints or smudges on the outer surface of the lens so it has to be on the inside.

I attached a picture of the egg-shapes. My camera had a hard time capturing them, so I had to increase the gamma of the picture to make them more visible. They are very visible IRL.

TOr Arne

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None that I can see. Not on the outside at least...

If I look into the optics from an angle while it's running I can see a round, brightly lit surface that looks like a prism surface. Maybe this is being relfected back and forth between the outer lenses before it comes out.

Tor Arne

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Tor,

Did you run over a black cat or something?

That's bad luck. It looks like a defect close to, but not at the focal point (you probably wouldn't see anything if there was a fingerprint on the lens) have you taken a peek inside?

Yo.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Could just be unfocused dust blobs, though I will admit that the regular egg shape is unusual. I have had this dust problem occasionally. On the LT150 you could usually get rid of them by using a vacuum cleaner and applying suction around the vents on all sides of the projector. Just cup your hand around the end of the hose and press against the vent to generate sufficient suction.

Others have resorted to opening the projector - but I haven't needed to and I _definitely_ wouldn't do that with a brand new projector.

jtv

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
This does look like a finger print smudge (could be dust) -either on the new bulb or introduced into the optics when bulb was replaced. There are transfer optics in the bulb cavity at the end. Perhaps there is some dirt there.

The service manual has detailed cleaning methods but it might be best to send it to NEC for a cleaning.

Joel

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
One on the known earlier probems with the HT1000 was dirt/dust in the DMD. It was a intsacare replacement problem. Don't feel alone bytehoven had the problem and you know my story. I got some quick replacements though. Tell NEC to speed it up this time. It s/b an overnight deal.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Did you got this problem solved?

I have similar problems with my HT1000. There was several similar spots on my first unit and Nec sent me a new unit and it is better than the first one but there are still few spots. Luckily those spots are not so visible from viewing distance but I'm wondering if this is normal and I'm just too picky or should I get it fixed.

Nec suggested now that I should send my projector to the service for cleaning so propably they think that swapping unit to new one once more does not help.

By the way I noticed that those spots are round when iris is open and they became egg shaped when iris is fully closed. When I turn focus ring larger spots became small dots. Any suggestions what to do?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a new unit, but it has a different problem. On the second night one of the fans started whining. :( It sounds like a bad harddrive. It got better a couple of days after that but re-appeared yesterday. It's really bad. I'm going to try it again tonight.

The sound is slightly uneven, and when I shut down the projector the sound increases in frequency as the fan speeds up. When the fan stops rotating and spins down it makes a pulsating whistle.

The picture in this one is perfect so it's worrying! Hope the fourth unit works. The fact that I get three units with completely different problems prove that it's possible to get a fully functional one.

Tor Arne

·
Registered
532 Posts
Maybe I need to discuss with Nec and try to get them to send me a new unit once more. Have you tested turning focus a bit off and see if any blobs appear on the screen? I noticed that both units I have seen showed small dust blobs when I turned focus a bit off but first unit also showed a lot of large circles on the screen when focused properelly and second unit shows only couple of them and they are quite dim.

I'm wondering if I should just stick with current unit or try to swap again.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sounds very unlikely. I'm begin to think that maybe some peoples are just looking for defect too hard (including me). Anybody else looking black screen from 1 feet distance trying to see if there is anything wrong?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had little grey spots around the image(at the top right corner)PJ table mounted.it was only visible when I was projecting blacks image.Most of the Nec HT 1000 that I have seen are affected but it's quite difficult and not really boring if you don't try to see them.But ,the image was so perfect so I decided to send it to NEC support.3 days after the PJ was at home;and all the problems are gone ,it's just perfect(more the firmware is with the new version).Nec told me that they have just cleaned the optics.I cant't believe it ,My nec was fantastic now it's just TERRIFIC .

I hope this can help you

PS: sorry for the english

philippe

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have what I think is a dead pixel. But looking at it closely I notice that it extends in an irregular shape outside the boundaries of the pixel. This suggests that it may be a speck of debris on the chip. With my LT150 I would just open the light chamber and blast away with compressed air to remove dust. I haven't opened my HT1000 yet, but can I do the same or is this inadvisable?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Wiens
I have what I think is a dead pixel. But looking at it closely I notice that it extends in an irregular shape outside the boundaries of the pixel. This suggests that it may be a speck of debris on the chip.
I have couple of those too. Bright green very small dots.

Have you checked your unit if there are any of these larger (3-4") egg shaped things? Too see them you have to go very close to the screen and display full black screen (like pressing pic mute button), room must be totally light controlled during this since these are not very visible.
Quote:
With my LT150 I would just open the light chamber and blast away with compressed air to remove dust. I haven't opened my HT1000 yet, but can I do the same or is this inadvisable?
I think it is possible but since HT1000 has sealed light engine (atleast part of it. Color wheel and light tunnel is not sealed) it requires much more work to get inside.

·
Registered
216 Posts
tk, I haven't seen the eggs, but I can't say that I am anxious to look even more closely and discover a new problem!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Wiens
tk, I haven't seen the eggs, but I can't say that I am anxious to look even more closely and discover a new problem!
OK. That's what I was afraid. :)

Maybe dust problem affects most of the HT1000 projectors but not all HT1000 owner have noticed it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.