Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had an epiphany...

For those of you like me, who have been upgrading your system with regularity, constantly trying to achieve the best possible sound that budget will allow, trying to keep up with all the new surround modes and looking for the Holy Grail, just hold on a minute and spend an hour or so following Guy Kuo’s speaker phasing method. I’m talking about the ultra precise method where you move the SPL meter right and left at your sweet spot while playing the Avia phase tones and find that point where the meter has the largest swing (that is where the speakers you are testing are in phase) and place that point at that location where your head would be by either moving the speaker or adjusting the delay times. Please don’t stop at just the front speakers, continue with all the speakers including the surround and the surround back set, if you have a multichannel input that will allow it. If you have two sets of surround speakers, do both. If you haven’t already done this, take the time to do it. Don’t blow it off thinking that is’s a waste of time. as that would be a very sad mistake. If you’ve already done this, this is old news.

This simple step has changed my whole perspective, I now enjoy a quality of sound that I’ve been trying to achieve for years. I had no idea... This little tweak made the greatest improvement in sound that I have ever heard. I see now that no matter how great your system is, the setup makes all the difference. I have been measuring my speaker distances for years and keying that distance in to the processor and thinking that was enough, Setting all my levels with great care, that’s all I need to do. The sound has always been super (dumb, dumb, dumb).

Please do this if you haven’t. Run, don’t walk to Radio Shack and get a meter (buy now you’ve likely got a meter) and order an Avia DVD as fast as you can. I promise if you haven’t done this after you do, you’ll be absolutely amazed at the improvement in sound.

I can’t thank you enough, Guy.

GMC

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i'm basically the sole user of my HT, but one thing has been keeping me from bothering to buy a spl meter.

my pj sits on a cart and occupies the sweet spot.

both my chairs ( i switch spots every few days depending on my mood) are off axis.

so that means obviously, that my ears are closer to one set of speakers on some occasions, and closer to the others the rest of the time.

if i did go to the trouble of using a meter and adjusting the placement- i would have to do this whenever i changed seats, no?

i suppose i could have the placement noted on the floor with tape so i only have to do the measuring one time for each, but i still wonder about just how out of whack, placement wise, i'm going to have to go to appease my off-axis ears.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
GMC:

What a great idea! Thank you and Guy Kuo! This really makes sense AFTER I read it... :D

·
Premium Member
11,761 Posts
GMC - Help me out here. What exactly do you mean by "and find that point where the meter has the largest swing (that is where the speakers you are testing are in phase) and place that point at that location where your head would be by either moving the speaker or adjusting the delay times"

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Is this what Pioneer is attempting to automate with their MCACC feature?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've found the difference between a good and great sounding system is often an amazingly small adjustment that snaps everything into focus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.