AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so My home theater consists of an Onkyo HTIB (not for long though
) with a Samsung LN52a650. My Onkyo receiver is slightly outdated and doesn't have any hdmi inputs. Now the way I had it set up for quite some time was hdmi from satellite to TV and then a digital optical from the satellite reveiver to the Onkyo receiver. Well out of boredom, instead of running the optical from the satellite to the receiver, I pulled the optical out of the satellite altogether and ran it directly from the TV digital out to the Onkyo receiver and wtf, it make a helluva difference in sound quality. It was not only clearer, it was a helluva lot louder at high volume. Can anyone answer why this is? I am assuming it has something to do with the hdmi cable but I don't understand why it made such a noticeable difference?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Your old connection was better. Sat Box to AVR was 5.1 audio. Your HDTV is only sending 2 channel out (all that is allowed unless the TV is using it's antenna to receive audio).

If you look at your AVR it should NOT say DD5.1 or DTS 5.1. Maybe all channel stereo or Dolby Pllx. Check to see if all of your speakers are on too. If your AVR is only pushing 2 channels it will have more available power pushing just the fronts, making it seem louder.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your right, I never tried a DD source, thanks. However when hooked back up the old way, when listening to music, if I set the receiver to stereo mode I do not get the same result, why is that? Isn't that essentially putting it in 2 channel? It sounds like two channel but I do not get the gains I had while running through the TV. I mean that was noticeably louder. I read a lot of people listening to music in stereo mode but it sounds worse than all channel or even DPIIx:Music mode. Maybe it is because I have crappy little fronts?

I am close to pulling the trigger on a new system. Thinking about a couple RTi10's, CSi5 and a VTF-3 MK3 Subwoofer. The sub is quite a bit more than I wanted to spend on a sub though, but I LOVE bass. I may be able to get a sweet deal on a DSW PRO 600. Is there a world of difference between these subs? I have a pretty good size living room 17X22. With such a large room, I want something that fills it nicely. My Onkyo pushes 130w per channel but would that be enough to do the RTi10's justice? Would I be better off with the RTi8's and that sub?

·
Registered
752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent29 /forum/post/18252547

Your right, I never tried a DD source, thanks. However when hooked back up the old way, when listening to music, if I set the receiver to stereo mode I do not get the same result, why is that? Isn't that essentially putting it in 2 channel? It sounds like two channel but I do not get the gains I had while running through the TV. I mean that was noticeably louder. I read a lot of people listening to music in stereo mode but it sounds worse than all channel or even DPIIx:Music mode. Maybe it is because I have crappy little fronts?

I am close to pulling the trigger on a new system. Thinking about a couple RTi10's, CSi5 and a VTF-3 MK3 Subwoofer. The sub is quite a bit more than I wanted to spend on a sub though, but I LOVE bass. I may be able to get a sweet deal on a DSW PRO 600. Is there a world of difference between these subs? I have a pretty good size living room 17X22. With such a large room, I want something that fills it nicely. My Onkyo pushes 130w per channel but would that be enough to do the RTi10's justice? Would I be better off with the RTi8's and that sub?

Your fronts are definitely holding you back for 2ch music. If you're going with the Polk RTi setup, get the RTi8. With the VTF3.3, you don't need the RTi10. Definitely go with the HSU over the Polk sub no question.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru /forum/post/18253961

+1

Sorry, does that mean you are in aggreance with the post above yours?

Thank you for the responses. So you think the RTi8's with a sub of that caliber, would fill a room that size very well? Is your thinking based around the only real advantage of getting the RTi10's over the RTi8's would be the low end, which with that sub, would be unnecessary, especially considering the power consumption of the RTi10's? One more question. Newegg has a great deal on Monitor 70's right now, are the RTi8's far and away a better speaker? I don't want any buyer remorse and I don't have any places around me where I can audition these speakers, so your input is of great value. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent29 /forum/post/18253964

Sorry, does that mean you are in aggreance with the post above yours?

Yes I agree 100% of what the 2 other posters stated.

·
Registered
872 Posts
For music the general consensus is that the RTIs are on the bright side: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post17712246

And a few are saying it about the monitors http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post18215108

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=18235428

I am not surprised tho because I had the same problem with my CSI3 center.

Some prefer bright especially for HT but for music it can be quite annoying. I resolved mine by cutting a larger hole and changing out the tweeter.

·
Registered
752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornhulio /forum/post/18257524

For music the general consensus is that the RTIs are on the bright side: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post17712246

And a few are saying it about the monitors http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post18215108

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=18235428

I am not surprised tho because I had the same problem with my CSI3 center.

Some prefer bright especially for HT but for music it can be quite annoying. I resolved mine by cutting a larger hole and changing out the tweeter.

The RTi's are Polk's Home Theater Reference line, so the brightness is understandable given their intended usage. If the OP is using this setup for home theater I see no issues going with the RTi's.

·
Registered
872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menasor /forum/post/18257631

The RTi's are Polk's Home Theater Reference line, so the brightness is understandable given their intended usage. If the OP is using this setup for home theater I see no issues going with the RTi's.

My sentiments as well. For music the RTI's are probably not a good choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts