AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so excited. I have been lurking for about 2 years now. I originally started viewing the forums because I intended to get a 34" Toshiba CRT. But after watching a movie on a Panny plasma I thought what's a extra thousand since I watch movies all the time and can't stand people talking, cellphones ringing in a theater considering when you play nine bucks to see a movie. I've been worried if the plasma has even one stuck or bad pixel, I decided to get it at Visual Apex or locally. In the end I wanted the consumer model (Visual Apex didn't carry it) and the ability to return it if there is a problem early on, checked Circuit City weekly advertisement today. 30 day return policy and it had 24 months no interest and the price wasn't bad either, drove over and special ordered it, ETA is 3 weeks. I considered waiting for the consumer 7th gen., but the 25 had all the features I wanted and the 7th gen. just wasn't a large enough of an improvement to wait.

A few questions:

Would anyone know the dimensions of the box the plasma comes in?

As I understand it the contrast, color, brightness, etc on the consumer version are from 0-30 while the commercial model goes from negative 15-15 I want to try the Rat's settings, he has a -13 for picture, would that translate to on the consumer model as a setting of 2 for picture?

While I have over dozens of widescreen dvd movies, I also have quite a few tv series and most of them are 1.33 (Deep Space 9, Futurama, Sandbaggers, Buffy, etc). I intend to use the grey sidebars to decrease the chance of uneven burnin, I have heard that some companies sell a cover that is used so the sidebars won't be seen, can anyone recommend a product?

Is there a special type of antenna I need to view terrestrial broadcasts of HDTV?

In a few months I want to get a Bravo D2 or 3 DVI DVD Player, does anyone have any experience with this player or its predecessors?

Am I correct in understanding that it is recommended to only display 16:9 material for the first 100 hours?

I probably have more questions I just can't think of any at the moment. I've learned so much here thanks to all.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The settings on the consumer model run from 0-63., if memory serves me right. I doubt that there is any easy corellation between the commercial and consumer settings. Run a search on the forum for the th42pd25, and you will see a range of settings that others have used.

Vary the assortment of material through your plasma for the 1st 100 hours and you should be allright. Don't use 4:3 material unstretched for more than a few hours at a time.

OTA HD antenna requirements depend on terrain and distance from the towers. antennaweb.org is an excellent resource for choosing an antenna based on your zipcode. I have a simple silver sensor indoor antenna, and I pick up all the major stations at 88% signal strength from 35 miles away. I do receive my HD from cable, but OTA is an excellent back up source for me.

I have the 42" version of your plasma and it has performed better than my expectations

Enjoy!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The good news is looks like my Panny will be ready for me to pick up tomorrow. Bad news is the water pump on my car failed while I was on the freeway and the engine caught on fire ever so slightly. Making the repair costs more than the cars worth. So got to buy a new car tomorrow so I can get to work on monday as well as pick up the tv.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.