AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I paid a little over 4000 for it (after all was said and done, instalation, delevery, tax, 4year service plan, etc). Please someone make me feel good about this. I got it from circuit city which wasn't the cheapest but was reasonable enough (and local which was VERY important). I even got two free DVD players out of it (and one is a progressive scan). I probably paid a little more than I should but someone out there please tell me this HDTV rocks and will change my viewing life forever.

/sigh

just looking for some emotional support and thought this place the best place to go.

Ves

·
Registered
787 Posts
my bad, I thought you got the 61300,

one componet input is kind of skimpy, but that's pretty much standard if you count the built in dtc.

I have seen this set at cc and it did look pretty impressive. The built in tuner is certaintly convenient.

Make sure you hook up the ota antenna. Once you get good hd (pbs), you won't need anyone else to make you feel good!

K

[This message has been edited by kyungkim (edited 05-31-2001).]

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've just seen this TV well set up and sitting side by side with Mits, Sharp and Sony HDTVs. No comparison! I couldn't believe it! The line doubler alone was so much clearer than the other three. Plus it has the built in decoder, you get a free $699 progressive scan RCA DVD player, and, at the store I was at, they are doing a no sales tax promo. All this and it's still much cheaper than the others!

I may have to get one today! My wife will kill me! At least I'll have HDTV!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Well Ves . . . where do you live? Can you get some good OTA HDTV? Are you signing up for Dish Network or DirecTV so you can get HBO-HD?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments (I feel better already), I live in Hampton Roads, Virginia area. We are leaning heavily toward getting directtv (although the wife is displeased that we have to have extra hardware and pay a little extra a month for multiple TVs ie family room, our room, kid's play room). It also looks like we will have get basic cable for local stations and to qualify for a cable modem, so we are a little concerned about the monthly charges but it looks like we are going that route anyway. The TV won't be delivered till the end of the month so I have to suffer till it comes end but from all the reviews I read and all of the comments I have seen, it looks like a made a semi-reasonable choice.

Thanks for the input.

Ves

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ongopt:
I've just seen this TV well set up and sitting side by side with Mits, Sharp and Sony HDTVs. No comparison! I couldn't believe it! The line doubler alone was so much clearer than the other three. Plus it has the built in decoder, you get a free $699 progressive scan RCA DVD player, and, at the store I was at, they are doing a no sales tax promo. All this and it's still much cheaper than the others!

I may have to get one today! My wife will kill me! At least I'll have HDTV!

Ongopt,

can you tell me what store has all of these sets where you did you side by side comparison?

------------------

Kipp

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ves,

I have a P61310 which is now three weeks old. Check out my comments on the SPOT . This TV uniquely offers consumers a value choice for HDTV today, i.e. basic HDTV quality at a great price.

This is my first projection TV. I always wanted one but our home was never laid out to allow one to be integrated. Our main TV was a 31" tube. Over the last few years I added a DVD player, DD receiver, and Encore HT speakers.

My burning desire to further elevate the experience of viewing sports and widescreen movies to the next level kept me window shopping for the right entry point for an HDTV. I started out with the plan to get a 1st or 2nd generation 50-56" widescreen HDTV monitor at a target price of $2500 while waiting on a decoder. Then I was looking at 2nd or 3rd generation 61-65" monitors at a target of $3000, still no decoder.

Then on March 30 I stumbled on the RCA free DVD promotion. My research told me that for $3200 plus tax+s/h, I could get a 61" HDTV w/decoder and an entry-level progressive-scan DVD. The problem was that no local stores had them to look at and the only info on the web was the RCA product specs.

My wife and I decided to remodel the living room as a home theater and to buy the RCA as the centerpiece. I was very lucky to be able to order it from Abt here in the Chicago area. While I waited over 6 weeks until the set was finally delivered, I read as much as I could about the other mfrs' models and spent a lot of time in stores watching their displays. Now that I have the RCA in my home, I know that if I wasn't happy, I could still return it or replace it with a Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Sony, etc.

Like you, I've also worried whether this is the right set. What helps me feel secure is to remind myself that it's just a TV and that it's a guilty-pleasure even owning this thing. The truth is, this TV maximizes the pleasure while minimizing the guilt. I can tell you that I get extreme pleasure from watching it and I hope you do to!

------------------

Turn the sound up and the lights down!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi,

Yes, I saw it at Sak's in Lodi, CA. They are a small, home grown furniture, audio/video store with great one-on-one service. They are only 10 miles from my house and do all their srevice right there.

If I had the money right now I would get any of the Pioneer Elites, but they cost twice as much, and you don't get the HDTV tuner included. The RCA has the second best line doubler I've seen next to the Elites. My only reservation would be reliability, but these new generation of RCAs are supposed to be much improved. Well, that's why I would always purchase a 5 year warranty.

Regards

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Ves,

You may want to think about Dish since they have both HD HBO and HD Showtime.

On a good note, WAVY just turned on their digital transmitter a couple weeks ago, so you may get Leno in HD each night.

The bad news is that WAVY is the only local station in HD AFAIK. You may want to start writing e-mail to the station managers asking when they will have their digital signal on the air. The local CBS station in particular should get their butt in gear since CBS is quickly switching the majority of is prime time line up to HD.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ves,

I have had this set since Jan. and I love it. I have had no problems with it and I am very satisfied with the investment.

When it is delivered, just sit back, relax and enjoy

Mike

·
Registered
82 Posts
RCA is good and I have seen it but for another 500.00 you could have gotten the Mit 65907 diamond series. I love mine and the picture is super sharp. I have never heard or seen a diamond series HDTV in a Circuit City.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.