AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just would like to know if there is a FREE player that can PLAY original 1920x1080 60p .mts files from my Panasonic TM700 without stuttering on my Mac Mini Aluminum ?

VLC stutters, QuikTime stutters, Quicktime with Perian stutters...

Surely somebody has found a way by now ?

Thanks for any suggestions...

·
Registered
45 Posts
It seems that people with Macs are having problems using the TM700 with it, but maybe you can load Windows onto your Mac and try a program through that?

I do not have a TM700 or a Mac so I'm not too sure.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatical /forum/post/19560467

What are the specs (CPU, RAM) of your Mac Mini Aluminum? It may be that your hardware isn't up to the task of playing these files.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz

RAM: 2 GB 1067Mhz DDR3

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256MB (with hardware H.264 decoding)

I can already view 1920x1080 60i videos fine with it, and that takes only about 50% cpu power. I think it's only a question of proper codec decoding.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
It depends on the cpu monitor, but 50% could be 100% of 1 CPU. If the decoder is not multi-threaded, then you're maxed out at 1080i60. ffmpeg is multi-threaded for h264. Or is that just the encoder(libx264)? In either case you might try ffplay on the OSX side.

$ ffplay -threads 0 movie.mts

The -threads 0 tells it to use all cores, if available. It could also be that your graphic card has hardware h264 abilities, but doesn't recognize the variant for 1080p60 and kicks back to software decoding. It is a resource issue IMO. But your specs seem sufficient to meet the bare minimums for playback. ffplay is by no means efficient, but it has the latest decoder (if you have the latest version of ffmpeg) and does multi-thread a number of codecs. But not all of them. Mpeg-2 and h264 are two that I know that it does support in that way.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I may be wrong, but most of the complaints seem to come from users with Nvidia-based systems.

I have a very powerful computer and I can't play 60p videos without stuttering.

I too have a Nvidia video card.

Alan

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
A lot of the solutions I have are for Windows.

Still, Even if your able to install Windows, I'd say theirs a 50/50 chance you'll get flawless results.

My laptop played the files fine which has a Core2Duo processor, 8 gigs of RAM and a 512MB ATI card. That when I use either Splash or Windows Media and made sure nothing is running in the background and it was still taking up over 90% of my CPU power.

With the new computer which has a 950 processor and a GTX470 card, I'm able to use either the CPU or the Graphics card for playback in Splash. Both methods will run 1080 60p files flawlessly and only eating up a small percent of my computer's power.

For sure, it's hard to find solutions on Mac but at least Splash is coming but I'm not sure when.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahender /forum/post/19573504

I may be wrong, but most of the complaints seem to come from users with Nvidia-based systems.

I have a very powerful computer and I can't play 60p videos without stuttering.

I too have a Nvidia video card.

Alan

I think it all depends on either the card or if it's optimised properly. For example, does it have the right drives. I've heard stories from people who had better luck with older drives. On the other hand, their most likely been complaints with the playback so maybe the brand the most recent drives fix it so my advise for people who have issues is to update the drives and perhaps contact NVidia.

Still, I don't think the newer NVidia cards have issue judging by the results I get but maybe it's because it's using the newest drives and the person that built my computer seams to know about getting the proper drives.

Keep in mind that if your CPU is powerful enough, I don't think it would matter rather or not the graphic card is optimized for hard ware playback. This is assuming your computer is running well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.