AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to upgrade my sub situation... Interested in going with dual Svs pb3000 or dual Monolith 15's. Any suggestions, thoughts, reviews?

I was like 51-49 leaning towards Mono's, however I've been reading that their customer support is not that great. Is this really a big issue?

thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
I'll start by saying I'm not really a fan of either company. And "Is this really a big issue?" Well probably to the people that need CS it is; to everyone else it's just peace of mind. I think you need to decided for yourself your tolerance for QA issues and customer support.

SVS seems to be among the best and most accommodating for CS. And Ed Mullen seems to frequent the SVS thread providing support, which is great for end users, but probably a huge pain for SVS from a ticketing and support perspective. Rythmik, PSA, and Hsu also have active forum interactions from company reps.

I don't see too many complaints about the Monoprice support so much as complaints about the quality of the product and the fact the entire sub has to be returned if there is an issue. While the complaints aren't too numerous, I don't see nearly the number in other threads for other brands. Which is one of the reasons I put Monoprice at the bottom of my list. But the subs are killer when there aren't issues.

EDIT: Now that I've had some coffee, I didn't word my first sentence accurately - the companies are fine. I don't find SVS subs as good a value for the money because I don't value their additional features built into the price. And I have concerns about Monoprice's QA which may be unfounded, but I'm not willing to take the chance when there are other proven performers at the price point.

·
Premium Member
4,786 Posts
I'll start by saying I'm not really a fan of either company. And "Is this really a big issue?" Well probably to the people that need CS it is; to everyone else it's just peace of mind.

SVS seems to be among the best and most accommodating for CS. And Ed Mullen seems to frequent the SVS thread providing support, which is great for end users, but probably a huge pain for SVS from a ticketing and support perspective. Rythmik, PSA, and Hsu also have active forum interactions from company reps.

I don't see too many complaints about the Monoprice support so much as complaints about the quality of the product and the fact the entire sub has to be returned if there is an issue. While the complaints aren't too numerous, I don't see nearly the number in other threads for other brands. Which is one of the reasons I put Monoprice at the bottom of my list. But the subs are killer when there aren't issues.
It seems from what I've read here, the monoprice subs are pretty darn good. What would keep me from buying them is the whole shipping them back for any repairs. I'd much rather do it like everyone else where they ship the part, and you replace it yourself. A lot easier, IMO. Of course, for some people, they won't want to deal with any self repair themselves, and the whole shipping the subwoofer thing might be a plus for them.

·
Premium Member
4,786 Posts
Depends if they comp you for shipping 162.7 lbs. back and forth or not.
Supposedly, if it's under warranty, you would get a shipping label from Monoprice.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Supposedly, if it's under warranty, you would get a shipping label from Monoprice.
Makes sense. What's the warranty period on it?
Honestly, I don't know how people deal with such heavy monsters, do they come on wheels? 128.5 lbs unpacked, is the weight of a person.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It seems from what I've read here, the monoprice subs are pretty darn good. What would keep me from buying them is the whole shipping them back for any repairs. I'd much rather do it like everyone else where they ship the part, and you replace it yourself. A lot easier, IMO. Of course, for some people, they won't want to deal with any self repair themselves, and the whole shipping the subwoofer thing might be a plus for them.
Don’t know if this will help but I just had to replace the amp in my SVS PB-13 Ultra, and the support from SVS was fantastic, they walked me through the trouble shooting procedure on the phone with written directions and photos via email. This all happened on Saturday!!! These guys really support there customers. I vote for the SVS...

·
Registered
620 Posts
Time to upgrade my sub situation... Interested in going with dual Svs pb3000 or dual Monolith 15's. Any suggestions, thoughts, reviews?

I was like 51-49 leaning towards Mono's, however I've been reading that their customer support is not that great. Is this really a big issue?

thanks for the help.
While Monolith is fine, for all the reasons you mentioned, I'd go SVS.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EDIT: Now that I've had some coffee, I didn't word my first sentence accurately - the companies are fine. I don't find SVS subs as good a value for the money because I don't value their additional features built into the price. And I have concerns about Monoprice's QA which may be unfounded, but I'm not willing to take the chance when there are other proven performers at the price point.
What companies do you suggest?

·
Premium Member
4,786 Posts
What companies do you suggest?
Rythmik, PSA, HSU all have good reps for blending good products, good service and good value. There are others, like JTR, DSS and Funk, but you're talking $2000 plus for them.
If you're trying to keep it $1000 or less, HSU is hard to beat. Rythmik makes good subs, under $1000, as well. Above $1000, HSU drops out, Rythmik is definitely there, and PSA joins in.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rythmik, PSA, HSU all have good reps for blending good products, good service and good value. There are others, like JTR, DSS and Funk, but you're talking $2000 plus for them.
If you're trying to keep it $1000 oir less, HSU is hard to beat. Rythmik makes good subs, under $1000, as well. Above $1000, HSU drops out, Rythmik is definitely there, and PSA joins in.
I'm trying to stay around 1300 per. I'll take a look at some of the others. It's hard to find that high output performance with size. Thanks.

·
Registered
916 Posts
at the current price point of $1200 for the 15 Monolith, I don't feel there are any competitors. Yes, having to save the box and ship the entire sub back is stupid but if you know this going into the purchase you can deal with that should for whatever reason you get a bum one. And yes, the DO issue a call tag for the sub to be picked up if it is under warranty for repair.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would suggest Rythmik FV15HP's at your budget.

I guess I get caught up in the power. This sub is running 600 watts. I currently have a GoldenEar XXL supersub, it is rated at 1600 watts. So I'm a little afraid of going to low on power. However bumping to duals will help. Thanks

·
Registered
916 Posts
I guess I get caught up in the power. This sub is running 600 watts. I currently have a GoldenEar XXL supersub, it is rated at 1600 watts. So I'm a little afraid of going to low on power. However bumping to duals will help. Thanks
oh padawan, much to learn you have...Do NOT "get caught up in the power". It is but only one part of the equation. The GoldenEar is a nice looking sub but watching movies with it was no where near as good as with a Monolith 15! Of course your room will play a huge factor into how anything sounds as well. But dismissing any sub that is "only 600 watts" because you have 1600 is just silly..

·
Registered
14,102 Posts
Comparing power ratings is useless for a couple reasons. First off the Rythmik amp is generously underrated...it's actually more like 900-1000watts. Second, the Golden Ear sub nearly half the size of the Rythmik. Box volume is almost like free power as it increases system efficiency. Without knowing the driver sensitivity it makes comparing amp power even more useless. However I can tell you by looking at the specs, I bet 2 of those Golden Ear subs don't match a single FV15HP down low, but they might match it up top around the crossover region.

Then I see you are concerned about size with the Rythmik but was considering the Monolith 15 which is even larger then the FV15HP?

1 - 20 of 119 Posts