AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took a look at the new digital video essentials by Joe Kane.

If he can make a dvd with very high bit rate with no EE "at all"

then why cant the studios.

And to those who say they are not adding EE

or EE does not exist, Jump in a lake will ya:)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Hi Alan,

Isn't it weird the biggest boxoffice stinkbombs are some of the best looking DVD's? I hope this gets resolved in time for HD-DVD, though I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
24,920 Posts
You guys know it but I guess some information we have heard like Sony has a default setting which has a set amount of EE added to all of their titles( no added EE though:rolleyes: ) and the fact that we large screen nuts are rare enough to be basically ignored and unimportant , makes accepting that we are going to see it the sane thing. I hate it , we know that DVD at it's best can look almost as good as HD but generally doesn't, but after this long and most of the review sites and magazines talking of it's effects on PQ what else can we do. I know there was a point that we were discussing the subject and all sorts of excuses have been raised but we know that it doesn't have to be there. OK, thanks for letting me whine about this again:D

Art

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
After ENDURING the PQ of "Gangs of NY" on DVD, I can only say that this cannot be stated enough! EE Sux big time and makes certain titles nearly unwatchable.....

When "Titanic" which is non-anamorphic blows doors even when zoomed over virtually all newer high profile releases, you gotta be annoyed...

·
Registered
673 Posts
Gangs is HORRIBLE for EE....

There are some stunning DVDs out there, like Monsters Inc, LOTR:FOTR:EE (get that :) ) Why not them all? What is wrong with the other studios? Do they all have 19" TVs and $40 Apex DVD players at home?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Having recently joining the world of front projection(crt), I can easily see EE on titles that I thought looked wonderful on a 32" tv. Talk about having a veil lifted from your eyes! I now find myself refusing to look at movies I like because of the accursed EE beast! Woe is me.

Johnny

·
Hello, World!
2,476 Posts
Years of complaints from consumers regarding EE has resulted in no change to the studios output. They ain't listening to the likes of us. But just maybe they will listen to people like Joe Kane; we can only hope so...

EE on DVD is here to stay, but according to Glimmie (a post-house pro here on the forum) EE is NOT standard on HD processing equipment so we can only hope it stays that way. However, EE has already been seen on some D-Theater titles, so it's not looking 100% clear...

Mark.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Hi,

You know, it's really a waste of time to beat the death horse. Let's just say that EE exist on most R1 DVD. And it will continue that way till the end of the world.

Now if the DVE has NO EE, then I guess EE indeed do NOT exist. Thus SW1 has NO EE.

It seems there are only 2 ways of doing it:

- No EE, a soft picture

- EE, a sharper picture

How about, throw the vertical/horizontal filtering out of the window, NO EE and a super sharp picture? Oh I forget it will cause flicker on a 480i TV...

I just have a different opinion/taste. Anyway, it's not something that I can understand.

Ok, I still enjoy DVD. That all I need.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
28,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Li On
Now if the DVE has NO EE, then I guess EE indeed do NOT exist. Thus SW1 has NO EE.
I think you meant to say SW2.

SW1 has tons of ungodly edge enhancement.

·
Hello, World!
2,476 Posts
I think Li On was being sarcastic...

Mark

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Having just checked both the new Lawrence Of Arabia Superbit and Joe Kane's DVE DVDs recently, was able to easily detect a certain amount of EE on the former title while the latter didn't show any...even though the actual viewable active size originated from an image which must only be the equivalent of a 32" TV set (the set locks-in on 16x9 mode when doing 1080i signals).

These disks were viewed on a combo composed of a Sony KV-40XBR800 40" CRT monitor and Mobitsu 880 progressive scan/scaler DVD player via DVI interfacing, doing the 1080i output bit, my interim "small" HT system.

The PQ produced by this set up is amazingly good, and immediately saw the awesome job TS/Columbia color technicians manage to accomplish with the LOA title under the direct supervision of Robert Harris (EE or not, this one is of reference quality! Of course, a HD version sans EE will be better still. In due time... :D ), as well as Kane's DVE, which without a doubt definitely is of reference quality (the 1080p down-conversion to the NTSC format used for the NASA, etc., footage is absolutely and truly phenomenal looking! The closest to HD I've seen from standard video sources so far).

How much of my current opinions change when I finally view both disks on the "big" system (been down for a while) blown to 12 foot wide scope screen proportions remains to be seen (no pun!), but am confident they'll fare quite well...

-THTS

·
Registered
369 Posts
i've limited myself to watching dvds on a small screen. it's the only way i can enjoy them. even those old paramount/fox/disney non-16x9 dvds don't look too bad.

dvd is a poor mans quality format (ie. it's [email protected]). it has the capacity to be good, but most of the time, it's "deliberately" flawed (although the "gangs of new york" dvd took the pi$$ out of this concept - i have early generation dvds that look better than this piece of [email protected]). hd-dvd will raise the bar, but i highly doubt we'll get a flawless product - at least at first - they wouldn't be able to re-release titles under high def superbit brands otherwise.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
A

The word crap is allowed.

:)

·
Registered
28,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_H
I think Li On was being sarcastic...
D'oh!

Just re-read his post.... Must pay more attention...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.