AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as you can tell a total new member here - looking to bring the family into the current century with TV technology. Looking for a 46 inch LCD (at least I have been able to make the decision between LCD/PLASMA).


I have read and read - and I just have to ask you guys - is there ANYONE that is totally comfortable that they made the right decision on your purchase? I see all kinds of debates on the very finer points like color saturation, calibration, clouding, sparkles, flashlights and on and on and on.


Now don't get me wrong - I appreciate the debate - as an avid golfer I am an active member on a similar forum discussing golf equipment to ridiculous detail...shaft torques, driver MOI, feel, tip flex....so I get the enthusiasm for a debate around something that is of great interest to you.


I have an opportunity to buy a SONY (model of my choice) at the Employee Pricing at Corporate - but even those seem to get trashed here and there on this forum - and I trust you guys - there are a lot of people out here that have forgotten more about this stuff than I will ever know -


So if you were me - would you take advantage of such a discount opportunity - if so which model (looking again for a 46 inch - budget is not an issue) -


Or even with this available to you - would you turn your back on it and look at other brands.


Thanks for your inputs and your valuable insights -
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Pick the one you like best and go for it. Every TV has its pluses and minuses. Only you can decide what you can live with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Any Sony would be an excellent choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb7 /forum/post/15503662


as you can tell a total new member here - looking to bring the family into the current century with TV technology. Looking for a 46 inch LCD (at least I have been able to make the decision between LCD/PLASMA).


I have read and read - and I just have to ask you guys - is there ANYONE that is totally comfortable that they made the right decision on your purchase? I see all kinds of debates on the very finer points like color saturation, calibration, clouding, sparkles, flashlights and on and on and on.


Now don't get me wrong - I appreciate the debate - as an avid golfer I am an active member on a similar forum discussing golf equipment to ridiculous detail...shaft torques, driver MOI, feel, tip flex....so I get the enthusiasm for a debate around something that is of great interest to you.


I have an opportunity to buy a SONY (model of my choice) at the Employee Pricing at Corporate - but even those seem to get trashed here and there on this forum - and I trust you guys - there are a lot of people out here that have forgotten more about this stuff than I will ever know -


So if you were me - would you take advantage of such a discount opportunity - if so which model (looking again for a 46 inch - budget is not an issue) -


Or even with this available to you - would you turn your back on it and look at other brands.


Thanks for your inputs and your valuable insights -

Hi there dfb7!!!

If you have a chance to get a good Sony for cheap then go ahead and get one. however, dont just chose any Sony tv, and yes it could be best tv ever made and someone will find something wrong with it. I used to own Sony and was very happy with it until I upgraded with a samsung... (LCD)


if you have read a lot then you would know which tv you want when it comes to LCD or Plasma, if your room is dark on in a basemant then a Plasma is a good choice. if it's next to big windows and such then LCD is better. I like LCD more than Plasmas because IMO it's less finiki, Plasmas have issues if you tilt them and such...


Now let's talk about the Sony's. If you want a tv with all the bells and whistles then get an XBR they are known to have a media sound bar and the glass bezel and are a little thinner than any of the other series. Also, they have (presumed) a SHARP panel. the other series W or Z series have the exact same procesors and chipset minus the sound bar and glass bezel, the only difference is that these 'inferior sets' have Samsung's flagship model 'S' panel which I believe are better panels than the Sharp panels.

If you are going to connect the tv to an AV system then you dont need the XBR, if it's a stand alone tv and you want good sound then get the XBR. the XBR are also more expensive. There are some other technical stuff like 10 bit procesing but we arent even close to get 10 bit sources.


Hope this helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
oh my god, everyone needs to get off of Sony and hop on Samsung. I would recommend anything from the Samsung 630-850. They are all fantastic TVs and they don't run as expensive as Sony does normally, normally for more TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertBert /forum/post/15503975


Hi there dfb7!!!

If you have a chance to get a good Sony for cheap then go ahead and get one. however, dont just chose any Sony tv, and yes it could be best tv ever made and someone will find something wrong with it. I used to own Sony and was very happy with it until I upgraded with a samsung... (LCD)


if you have read a lot then you would know which tv you want when it comes to LCD or Plasma, if your room is dark on in a basemant then a Plasma is a good choice. if it's next to big windows and such then LCD is better. I like LCD more than Plasmas because IMO it's less finiki, Plasmas have issues if you tilt them and such...


Now let's talk about the Sony's. If you want a tv with all the bells and whistles then get an XBR they are known to have a media sound bar and the glass bezel and are a little thinner than any of the other series. Also, they have (presumed) a SHARP panel. the other series W or Z series have the exact same procesors and chipset minus the sound bar and glass bezel, the only difference is that these 'inferior sets' have Samsung's flagship model 'S' panel which I believe are better panels than the Sharp panels.

If you are going to connect the tv to an AV system then you dont need the XBR, if it's a stand alone tv and you want good sound then get the XBR. the XBR are also more expensive. There are some other technical stuff like 10 bit procesing but we arent even close to get 10 bit sources.


Hope this helps

so that is in line with what I was thinking - leaning towards a Z series (like the narrow bezel) - and for sound was going to match it up with a Sony Sound Bar - it all will be pretty much stand alone - and will be going in a small 13x13 den - was thinking the SoundBar would do all we would need in the small intimate setting -
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb7 /forum/post/15503662


as you can tell a total new member here - looking to bring the family into the current century with TV technology. Looking for a 46 inch LCD (at least I have been able to make the decision between LCD/PLASMA).


I have read and read - and I just have to ask you guys - is there ANYONE that is totally comfortable that they made the right decision on your purchase? I see all kinds of debates on the very finer points like color saturation, calibration, clouding, sparkles, flashlights and on and on and on.


Now don't get me wrong - I appreciate the debate - as an avid golfer I am an active member on a similar forum discussing golf equipment to ridiculous detail...shaft torques, driver MOI, feel, tip flex....so I get the enthusiasm for a debate around something that is of great interest to you.


I have an opportunity to buy a SONY (model of my choice) at the Employee Pricing at Corporate - but even those seem to get trashed here and there on this forum - and I trust you guys - there are a lot of people out here that have forgotten more about this stuff than I will ever know -


So if you were me - would you take advantage of such a discount opportunity - if so which model (looking again for a 46 inch - budget is not an issue) -


Or even with this available to you - would you turn your back on it and look at other brands.


Thanks for your inputs and your valuable insights -

oh let us stop the tippy toeing around here. with a great discount, get the best. get the 46xbr8. or do some math and rationalization and get the 55xbr8.


cnet tested the 55xbr8 and declared it the best LCD out there. go read the review. go see the set. go buy the set and come tell us how you like it.


it's a pricefixed by sony set, so there are no discounts out there, and if you can get a good one, jump on it.


TVbc


P.S. and if you just can't get yourself to take the plunge, call me up and give it me....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb7 /forum/post/15504165


so that is in line with what I was thinking - leaning towards a Z series (like the narrow bezel) - and for sound was going to match it up with a Sony Sound Bar - it all will be pretty much stand alone - and will be going in a small 13x13 den - was thinking the SoundBar would do all we would need in the small intimate setting -


The new XBR ones would be a better choice as far as picture quality is concerned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer /forum/post/15504271


The new XBR ones would be a better choice as far as picture quality is concerned.

thanks for the inputs - you referring to the current XBR 6,7,8 line up - or are you suggesting to wait for the 2009 line up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,190 Posts
If you can get Sony employee discount i'd say jump on it....


I did!
And glad i did because after looking at the Sony 2009 line up i wasn't too impressed. And also they didn't have a 55" in the 2009 line up of the XBR9's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggbuilder /forum/post/15503841


There are many great choices, plasma and LCD both have their benefits, the only T.V. I would not recommend is the 37 inch XBR ; )
.....I agree, unless it's a XBR9. Finally some high end features in a smaller size set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/15507170


Could you explain that further??



Dont you know, the plasma runs out and you have to refill it......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 /forum/post/15507103


If you can get Sony employee discount i'd say jump on it....


I did!
And glad i did because after looking at the Sony 2009 line up i wasn't too impressed. And also they didn't have a 55" in the 2009 line up of the XBR9's.

which model did you chose?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb7 /forum/post/15503662


as you can tell a total new member here - looking to bring the family into the current century with TV technology. Looking for a 46 inch LCD (at least I have been able to make the decision between LCD/PLASMA).


I have read and read - and I just have to ask you guys - is there ANYONE that is totally comfortable that they made the right decision on your purchase? I see all kinds of debates on the very finer points like color saturation, calibration, clouding, sparkles, flashlights and on and on and on.


Now don't get me wrong - I appreciate the debate - as an avid golfer I am an active member on a similar forum discussing golf equipment to ridiculous detail...shaft torques, driver MOI, feel, tip flex....so I get the enthusiasm for a debate around something that is of great interest to you.


I have an opportunity to buy a SONY (model of my choice) at the Employee Pricing at Corporate - but even those seem to get trashed here and there on this forum - and I trust you guys - there are a lot of people out here that have forgotten more about this stuff than I will ever know -


So if you were me - would you take advantage of such a discount opportunity - if so which model (looking again for a 46 inch - budget is not an issue) -


Or even with this available to you - would you turn your back on it and look at other brands.


Thanks for your inputs and your valuable insights -

I chose the toshiba 52xv545u and I am completely comfortable with my decision. Is my 545 the perfect tv? No, there is no perfect tv. I compared the 545 to the samsung 630 and felt the 545 had better overall pq and it is an excellent value. I didnt even look at the sony xbr's because I knew they were out of my price range. If budget is not an issue for you I would go for the xbr. There are many happy owners with xbrs.


Just dont get the 37" xbr.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 /forum/post/15507103


If you can get Sony employee discount i'd say jump on it....


I did!
And glad i did because after looking at the Sony 2009 line up i wasn't too impressed. And also they didn't have a 55" in the 2009 line up of the XBR9's.

remember they have only introduced through the xbr9 for 2009; the xbr9 is the replacement for this year's xbr6. there will be more to come later when sony has it's showcase event with models to replace the current xbr7 and xbr8 and who knows, perhaps additional offerings.


but today with the great discount you guys can get, it's gotta be the xbr8. i'm jealous.


TVbc
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top