AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/ele/4325139279.html for $2300. I was super ready to pull the trigger on a 60in F8500 (like tonight or tomorrow) and came across this. A few texts back and forth with the guy and he tells me it has a 5 year Brandsmart USA warranty, and was bought 3 weeks ago. Box seems intact, but I am VERY skeptical of buying something of this magnitude off of CL. Another question, because they are no longer in production, what happens if something goes bad with the set? Does Panny have a wearhouse full of these to replace and/or repair the same way Pio had some Kuro's left over for warranty purposes (someone on AVS said they got a brand new Kuro because of warranty).

·
Registered
454 Posts
Have you actually checked the display personally or just your messaging? The fellow selling I would think shouldn't be foolish enough to expect a buyer without an audition of the display. Ask him if it's still set-up and capable of being evaluated. That might answer some questions. It's good he has the box etc - I would think that I would want to make sure the factory aspect of the warranty is transferable if there's any left. The serial number should conform that I'd think with a conversation to Panasonic. Is the 5 year transferable?

For parts including a panel should it require one I wouldn't think an issue for the immediate future. What is the insured value for the extended? There's many questions you can and could ask. You need to have it set-up and working, I don't know how long it would take to evaluate it, that I guess would depend on the familiarity of the operator with the product. If you've a friend or acquaintance with one and can check it out for you maybe you might consider it.

Lots to consider - if the money isn't an issue is it worth it? Maybe! If money IS an issue then maybe not likely!

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well according to the CL ad (and the pics) the box is unopened and new. Its not so much the new vs used thats an issue. My main concern is the ability to get it fix should something go wrong with it. Money is def an issue, so as much as I'd like a VT, I'm going to be buying a F8500 tomorrow. I would NEVER get over it if something happened to the TV and I was out $2300.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts