AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my Radeon VE, I installed MMC 7.1, drivers and everything else on the CD, and used the ATI player just fine. Well I've recently changed my system so installed Win98SE and all drivers and software on a freshly formated drive. Installed the ATI 7189 drivers (finally I can get HDTV resolutions to work), powerstrip, DVDgenie, PowerDVD (which works fine), IOmagic capture card and drivers, lastly installed ATI player only from CD and when opened it says that it cannot be used because of one of 3 things. 1) soundcard either not present or in use (soundcard works OK with PowerDVD) 2) video overlay not available (this seems to be the problem, because when I click on the video tab of ATI player setting everything is grayed out, but again PowerDVD works) 3) no dvd drive installed (of course there is a drive and PowerDVD recognizes it, but not ATI).

I've uninstalled ATI and powerdvd, put ATI on alone. Still the same. Installed ATI complete MMC. Still same. What have I done that is not allowing ATI player to function?

Neil

·
Registered
484 Posts
I think Steven Orr posted something about the newer drivers having problems with the ATI DVD player and posted a registry tweak that might fix it. Search the forum for a recent post by him.

John

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Six hours and no response?

I see why. Same question was asked and answer a month ago. Sorry. Should have done my homework a little better.;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
This is not a driver issue, I have tried more combinations of hardware, software and drivers with the ATI player than I care to mention. I am making it my mission to put down the piece of sH*$ ATI player until ATI make it more compatible. I like yourself initially had it running but as soon as you start loading virtually any other overlay display based program it stops working. I get exactly the same message as you. Occasionally by uninstalling/re-installing or changing other software the ATI works but on the whole it hates operating with other display software NO GOOD ON AN HTPC! I know it's annoying but go for the latest version of PowerDVD, as good and 100% stable. You wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi,

Had a similar experience with ATi 4.1 and 7199 driver using Ati 64DDR. The same warning signs came on screen.

Managed to get it working by deleting DevB in DVD Genie and unregistering Filters in WinDVD. Initially was puzzled when no DD SPDIF passthrough. Finally success by defaulting to Filter #4 Yamaha soundcard in DVD Genie. Now much more stable than previously and actually could play an entire movie with ATi 4.1!

However there was a remaining oddity and that was Ati overlay was MUCH too bright in my setup with BOTH 7199 videl controls and 4.1 video controls set to default! I had the Digital Connection patch installed for 0 IRE. However I found that if I set the 7199 at default and play around with the 4.1 controls, the picture could be adjusted to one's satisfaction and it will stick.

The reason why I used default for the 7199 control was that I had WinDVD and PowerDVD residing in the system. Will probably experiment in future.

Be aware that deleting DevB may have unpredictable consequences.

Regards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.