AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the separate interlaced/progressive inputs is getting more and more annoying. Half of my things are svideo and the other half are progressive component. It is especially annoying on things like the xbox where the dash is not 480p or on ps2 where some games are progressive and some are not. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Well yes but for xbox I could care less I cant see the dashboard when I turn it on.Its worthless to me anyway.As for PS2,forget that hunk of junk anyway hehe.I do find it very annoying I cant use PC and other progressive things at the same time however.Im always unplugging vga cords.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Just get a simple VGA switcher, they arn't too expensive but get one at a local store so you can return it incase there is image ghosting. I can't wait for Halo 2!!!

Chris

·
Registered
452 Posts
Not sure about letting the X1 do it's magic w/ the S-Video versus using component. I have seen numerous posts where people have done side-by-side and concluded that the prog scan player does a better job. However, I will leave that to the others to argue.

As far as the multiple VGA connections, you can either use the switchbox as freychris suggested or you can also use a VGA Y-connector. It really has to do with the ultimate location of this junction.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess it's not so much an issue of the switchers as I have an svideo switch but being able to do both through one input. Both the xbox and ps2 wont put out simultaneous svideo and component so even with the switch box I still have to swap cables on the consoles. If the x1's faroudja kicked in when it was getting interlaced and turned off when it was getting progressive that would solve everything. Not sure if the xbox and ps2 should take more of the blame or the x1. The gamecube is nice you can keep both cables plugged in and all I have to do is switch the x1 from video to computer or vice versa depending on the game without swapping cables.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I managed to get everything running through the VGA port including my Xbox using a VGA switch. The catch with the Xbox is that you have to get a modchip and there is a way to patch the dashboard so it will be 480p. A good place for info is http://www.xbox-scene.com.

Other than that, the best option would be to run your game consoles through the video input. Other than the games that run in higher resolutions than 480p, there's no real advantage from using the vga port. You just have to turn off all the progressive video modes on the Xbox through the dashboard settings. I'm not sure about the PS2.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The Xbox should take all of the blame, IMO, since you cannot see both component output and the dashboard with a single cable plugged into the Xbox. If there was a single cable with leads for component, s-video, and composite this wouldn't be as much of a problem. Or if they'd just make the dashboard 480p, even as an option, this would be moot.

Myself, I have the Xbox hooked up with component and have a smaller TV with a composite input that I leave the original Xbox cable plugged into should the need arise to see the dashboard. It still involves switching the cable in the back of the Xbox, but I don't use it that much. Of course the voice chat while not in a game is useless to me since I'm not switching cables just for that.

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nizz8, I really like that switch. Actually I think I was the one that started that thread. I went and looked at it yesterday but I realized that I would still have to swap cables so I figured why spend $100. I still might get it though just to clean things up. Seems to be a great value compared to other products (or lack of products) on the market.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mr Wendle, The matrix switch would solve almost all of my problems except my ultimate tv which is svideo because it would be occupying the svideo input on the x1 blocking the component interlaced adapter through the svideo port. Oh well looks like I'll be stuck swapping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.