Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone

The last time I bought a TV was circa 2000, and PC Richards In New York had a newer Phillips displayed next to the original (?) Sony KV 36" ? something something HD-1. It had a silver case and an external HD tuning box and a 16:9 screen.

It was $5000 bucks or something when launched but a couple of years later I snagged that unit for

I dont know if this unit was some kind of cult classic, but for me, it was about the best picture I have ever seen. Using ordinary Time Warner Cable in New York, the 16:9 image came straight through and it was really great.

My wife wants me to ditch my beloved Sony projector, she wants a plasma, but I am wondering if a good old fashioned tube will still give the BEST HDTV and 16:9 picture.

Was that old Sony HD-1 something really special, or can I easily replicate that kind of performance today?

Which models should I check out? Is there a new Sony? All else being equal of course, would like to spend as little as possible.

Thank you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just found another post -- perhaps the old Sony HD-1 set was a 34", in which case the XBR 910 sounds as if it might be the updated version.

Maybe things today are even better, but if someone remembers the other set I am talking about and can comment on its relative strengths and weaknesses, I would greatly appreciate it.

The other question -- I thought I already had HDTV through Time Warner cable, but someone else said he had to wait four months. Is the resolution going up even more?

And will either of these TVs handle that signal straight from the TW cable box?

Thank you.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The TV you are remembering was the KW-34HD1 which was followed by the KD-34XBR2 both had HD tuners built in and cost too much :)

The XBR-910 (especially when properly calibrated) will run circles around those two older sets for half of their list prices... progress is good.

The 910 has no built in tuner which is fine your cable company will probably pony up the set top box.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
ps2,

You mention Projectors & Plasma, both of which are large screen displays. What is your viewing distance from the display? The largest 16:9 Tubes are the 34"er & the Loewe 38"er (around $4500). If you want a larger screen & sit about 9'-12' away, I suggest you look at the Plasma Panny or Fujitsu 50"er. You'll find many happy owners & a ton of info on the Flat Panel Display Forum. If your viewing distance is around 5'-8', then perhaps the Sony KV-34XBR910 is your answer.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kharvel
If you have the $$$ to afford a plasma, why not get a 42" LCD? LCD is much better than plasma but also more expensive. It is definitely much better than direct-view CRT.
I have to agree with you on this one, happened to be at Sears this weekend, and they had a 50" Toshiba LCD TV for $3200 there. Have to check the LCD forum for reviews on it, but the PQ was beautiful, they were showing one of the CBS HD shows on it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i'd look at the new rear proj DLP before jumping into LCD.. Didn't the RCA get really good reviews at CES?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ps24eva
why do you say lcd is better?
Well, I was talking about high-resolution LCDs. For example, 1920x1080 or 1280x768 LCDs. If they have high enough response rate, the picture quality is almost impossible to match or beat. In addition, if I remember correctly, there is no issue with burn-in with LCDs. Best of all, the LCDs would work beautifully with HTPCs.

NorthJersey: $3200 seems too low for a 50" Toshiba LCD TV. Are you sure it is a FLAT PANEL LCD, similiar to a computer LCD display? Make sure it has a high resolution and high response rate in order to get the best PQ out of it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
They are actually XGA (1366x768) which is slightly higher than 1280x768. 1920x1080 LCDs with less than 16ms response time should be coming in the near-future, I think. Of course, you'll need a lot of $$$ to shell out for that.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumont

Which models should I check out? Is there a new Sony? All else being equal of course, would like to spend as little as possible.

Thank you.
What's your budget ???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.