AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off,

I have a Lexicon MC-1, circa 1999....I don't think my Lexi can decode the blu at the higher sample/bit pcm tracks properly. I have a PS3.....anybody in the same boat? I don't have the cash for a new pre/pro, and want to enjoy the sound I'm getting from atleast SD DVD and especially DTHEATER. Is there anything I'm doing wrong here? I have my PS3 in linear PCM and try to use "uncompressed" on the bd's....anybody???

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN /forum/post/12914394

First off,

I have a Lexicon MC-1, circa 1999....I don't think my Lexi can decode the blu at the higher sample/bit pcm tracks properly. I have a PS3.....anybody in the same boat? I don't have the cash for a new pre/pro, and want to enjoy the sound I'm getting from atleast SD DVD and especially DTHEATER. Is there anything I'm doing wrong here? I have my PS3 in linear PCM and try to use "uncompressed" on the bd's....anybody???

Just use the analog outputs on the player for the best sound. Not that I know anything about PS3s, but that's how I do it with my Panasonic blu-ray player and I get sound that's much better than those SD DVDs I used to play back then.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Dude, sorry Lexicons are cool but you Need to upgrade. HDMI carries 5.1 pcm. When you get some cash buy an Intrega DTC 9.8 should be stellar.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried "Bitstream" in the PS3 and watched the beg of Reign of Fire on BD. Not that great, but when I went to the setup menu of the movie I selected the regular 5.1. Walla....BUT

I know it can be better than this and will look into an HDMI solution next year. I figured out that if my Lexicon doesn't say "5.1 Logic 7", then I know I'm not getting the best out of my pre/pro. Any more thoughts on this people??

·
23,030 Posts
If you are using coax, LPCM will only be 2ch. Bitstream will send whatever DD or DTS that will "fit".

larry

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN /forum/post/12914394

First off,

You are in luck

I have the DC1 and Shawn Fogg did my 8 channel analog input bypass.

He can do your MC1 as well.

This enables us Lexi owners to enjoy the full rez audio codecs from a player with 5.1 or 7.1 analog outputs,.

Click this link
http://www.switch-box.com/Lexicon_analog_bypass.html

The price is under $200

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdiver /forum/post/12915626

You are in luck

I have the DC1 and Shawn Fogg did my 8 channel analog input bypass.

He can do your MC1 as well.

This enables us Lexi owners to enjoy the full rez audio codecs from a player with 5.1 or 7.1 analog outputs,.

Click this link
http://www.switch-box.com/Lexicon_analog_bypass.html

The price is under $200

That would be a great solution if the PS3 had analog outs or the OP had a Blu-ray player with analog outs.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSlade /forum/post/12916090

That would be a great solution if the PS3 had analog outs or the OP had a Blu-ray player with analog outs.

Its worth having the Lexi upgraded for the future, as the SQ from the Lexicon processors can't be beat by any AV receiver on the market.

Later on when you get a player with analog outs you will be set

Analog ins are better than HDMI anyway

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks obxdiver......

Since I don't plan on buying a Stand Alone blu player, i think I'm just stuck with what I've got now. I REALLY have a liking to the PS3, and of course the MC-1. I'll keep experimenting though.

Should I just keep the PS3 in "Bitstream" for now and do standard 5.1 on the BD's????

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
you will need to get a Bluray player with analog outs instead of using the optical or Coax out of the Ps3 which I assume is what you are using although you didnt say

to be honest if you want to enjoy the new audio formats or at least some of them you will have to either get a different Bluray player or upgrade your receiver / Prepro...the PS3 really isnt a good match if your receiver / prepro isnt HDMI

·
Registered
604 Posts
I had a Lex DC-1 for years and sold it last February and picked up a Pioneer Receiver that I now use as a processor with out board amps. Works awesome with the PS3's HDMI output. Now I can listen to uncompressed PCM, TrueHD and DTS-HD core sound tracks decoded by the PS3 and sent out to the receiver as uncompressed PCM. The receiver can then apply any post processing available including THX post processing. The sound quality while not quite as "pure" as the Lex is extremely detailed. Plus it allows me to go digital with HDMI all the way. I also have a Toshiba HD-A1 routed thru the receiver and out to my projector. If you think you will ever have more them one source device with a need for advanced audio outputs HDMI is usually the only way to go. Most processors only have one set of analog bypass in's. BTW, I sold my Lex to Shawn Fogg who did his magic upgrade to it and sold it on Ebay. There are receivers from Onkyo, Pioneer, Denon and a pre-pro from Integra that will get you where you need to be. For now I would just keep the PS3 in bitstream and let the Lex decode the 5.1 audio. (2) channel uncompressed PCM sounds awesome but it gets decoded as pro-logic (or logic 7 in your case) and doesn't have the perfect separation of the 5.1 formats.

·
Registered
841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN /forum/post/12919179

...Should I just keep the PS3 in "Bitstream" for now and do standard 5.1 on the BD's????

If you want discrete surround sound w/LFE, then yes. IMHO, for movies, lossy surround w/LFE beats lossless stereo.

When you have the cash for an upgrade, revisit. Something new may have popped up by then.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
You might be interested to read this related thread:

16 bit PCM or 24 bit DTS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenteoSurround /forum/post/12908685

Basically it all depends on what sounds good to YOU. Every format that you mentioned -- including DTS -- meets or exceeds the capabilities of the mix facility in which the original was made. DTS waveforms, when analyzed and compared with the original waveform input, match almost bit-for-bit.

The PCM is the original. A first generation DTS or DD data compression is nearly a perfect representation of the PCM.

At 384, 448, and 1 meg data rates, the actual difference in SOUND is inaudible. And yes, I have some of the best ears in the business.

So according to some, you're not losing much if anything with plain old DD and DTS.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
The high bit rate DD and DTS legacy tracks on most BDs are a pretty good step up from DVD bit rate soundtracks, especially through a lexicon.

So you aren't really listening to "DVD sound", even with the standard DD or DTS off of a BD.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN /forum/post/12919179

Thanks obxdiver......

Since I don't plan on buying a Stand Alone blu player, i think I'm just stuck with what I've got now. I REALLY have a liking to the PS3, and of course the MC-1. I'll keep experimenting though.

Should I just keep the PS3 in "Bitstream" for now and do standard 5.1 on the BD's????

To me, legacy DD/DTS 5.1 sounds way better than PCM 2.0 processed into 5.1. I know there are a few who like it the other way though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts