AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Like This Portable Mount But It's Too Expensive at $199.00.

Is there anything at home depot that I could use to make something similar myself where I'm able to adjust height ?

Any suggestion ?

Ceiling mount is out as I really don't want the projector hanging from the ceiling....Too much of an eyesore as it's the first thing you see when entering my Apt. Wall mount is too far back and I lose needed Foot Lamberts.

With this I can just slide it into corner and it's out of the way.

Thanks

http://www.airdesks.com/projectorstand.asp

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
I guess table mounting it is out of the question? Least expensive mount there is.. This could be fabricated with off the shell stuff but you might as well spend the $199 and have a nice looking rig rather than something that looks rigged!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could table mount on my coffee table but then the wires would be in the front of couch where we sit.

Just might have to ceiling mount it and put up with the eyesore...cheaper than this air mount which is a great idea. I just can't see myself paying $200 bucks for it at this time.

Thanks anyway .
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes /forum/post/18218060

I guess table mounting it is out of the question? Least expensive mount there is.. This could be fabricated with off the shell stuff but you might as well spend the $199 and have a nice looking rig rather than something that looks rigged!

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Is there ceiling access (drop ceiling) to run wires or do you have to fish them from your source up the wall and across the room with with finished drywall? If you do it yourself shouldn't be to expensive but if you have to pay some one could be costly. Oh I see in the photo looks like a vaulted ceiling so maybe a crawl space??

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes /forum/post/18230861

Is there ceiling access (drop ceiling) to run wires or do you have to fish them from your source up the wall and across the room with with finished drywall? If you do it yourself shouldn't be to expensive but if you have to pay some one could be costly. Oh I see in the photo looks like a vaulted ceiling so maybe a crawl space??

It's a CO-OP Apt so no drop ceiling or crawl space and that vaulted ceiling

picture you see isn't my place that's the picture from the website

Still undecided..it's either put up with the eyesore plus I will have to run wires across ceiling and down the wall and all along the long wall to get to the opposte end of room. Or Coffee table where wires would be ran right along main seating of the couch which is U shape ...Coffee table is smack center of U shape sectional sofa.

It's a shame because 9 years ago I ran wires thru ceiling and walls for everything (Phone/cable/9.2 speaker ) but didn't run HDMI or Component . I never thought at the time I would ever have a PJ being I had just bought a 65" RP HDTV

Just might have to ceiling mount at a later date and move PJ close to the rear wall as possible ( Increase Throw ) so wires aren't so obvious running along the ceiling .

I'll just coffee table it for now.

Thanks for your time .

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by .plaid /forum/post/18246709

Not quite as elegant, but this [amazon.com] might be an option.

Hey that's a good idea and cheaper to boot. I wonder if the legs would be low enough to the floor so I could just slide it under sofa and have the vertical bar between sofa seats.

Thanks for taking the time to post it

·
Registered
90 Posts
I realize this is an old thread but did you ever find a solution to this? I too am in a coop in NYC and would love to get a projector but my couch backs up against a wall and dont want to ceiling mount. I was thinking something like a hospital stand that is kind of a big u shape with the table that telescopes up and down and flips up (something they would wheel up to a bed). Like this but http://www.activeforever.com/p-1999-...-overbed-table with the table part that hinges down so it could drop below the couch.

Also, I am assuming you have a portable screen as well, can I ask what you ahve?

EDIT: Actually, just found something like this http://www.activeforever.com/p-5277-...able-6417.aspx

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifevicarious /forum/post/19186322

I realize this is an old thread but did you ever find a solution to this? I too am in a coop in NYC and would love to get a projector but my couch backs up against a wall and dont want to ceiling mount. I was thinking something like a hospital stand that is kind of a big u shape with the table that telescopes up and down and flips up (something they would wheel up to a bed). Like this but http://www.activeforever.com/p-1999-...-overbed-table with the table part that hinges down so it could drop below the couch.

Also, I am assuming you have a portable screen as well, can I ask what you ahve?

EDIT: Actually, just found something like this http://www.activeforever.com/p-5277-...able-6417.aspx

The hospital thingy is a good idea but it only goes as high as 46". ..besides it would give me the creeps.

I want my PJ to be smack in the middle (Vertical) for best picture. I need at least 57" to 60".

The airdesk I posted is the best as it goes up to 7ft but I refuse to spend that kind of money.

When I use the PJ I have it on my coffee table on top of a wooden box but I need to find a solution.

If you look at the Airdesk the 2 poles it uses should be easy to find but I can't seem to find them. I know I seen these rods used in that way somewhere else for something other than a PJ stand. I think they use that kind of set up with a photograph business to hold up reflective material so they can aim them in any direction.

I think I'll try searching the net using the term Telescopic Poles and see what I find.

I will be ordering a High Power Screen any day..just haven't got around to doing it yet. It's an electric screen so it's not portable and will be attached to ceiling. Currently using a 4 by 4 way stretch material..black on bottom and white on top of it. I went to the fabric district in NYC and bought it. It's a very cheap solution .Works great but I get tired of having to unhook it everytime being part of it drops down over hallway leading to kitchen .

Later...

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know why I couldn't find these before..well here's another one for $139

The PH 800-1250 with telescoping center column is height adjustable in 2" increments from 31-1/2" x 49-1/2". Supports up to 70 lbs. Ideal for overhead, LCD and slide projectors. Built in safety rails prevent equipment from sliding off.

Available with a shelf with 15° of tilt for keystone adjustment.

http://www.cgemarket.com/adjustable-...ctor-cart.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have that airdesk, it does work, but it leans pretty bad and you need to tie it to something to keep it vertical so I wouldn't recommend using one unless you have a lightweight projector or if you would be building one youself, I'd suggest using thicker poles and better joints.

Have you considered using a tripod with a laptop tripod mount?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnichols /forum/post/19253386

I have that airdesk, it does work, but it leans pretty bad and you need to tie it to something to keep it vertical so I wouldn't recommend using one unless you have a lightweight projector or if you would be building one youself, I'd suggest using thicker poles and better joints.

Have you considered using a tripod with a laptop tripod mount?

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Airdesk.

The legs on a tripod setup would take up too much space that I don't have .

Will post when I decide on what I choose.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts