Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.tvinsite.com/twice/index....splay=features

This Twice article gives an interesting rundown on future trends in Plasma.

Here's an excerpt :-

"Panasonic introduced 37- and 50-inch plasma display TVs with built-in satellite dish receivers, a DVD recorder with hard disk drive and two LCD TVs with DVD playback.

The 37- and 50-inch diagonal plasma display TVs feature a built-in satellite dish tuner for the Japanese market. Both models will be released in the Japanese market on October 20 at a suggested retail price of 780,000 yen (about $6,500) for the 37-inch and 1.35 million yen ($11,200) for the 50-inch display.

Both models incorporate Panasonic's Real Black Drive System with a 3000:1 contrast and the company's 3-D Progressive Scan. The display's satellite receivers are said to offer 720-line quality, using i.LINK connections. And i.LINK enables it to connect with D-VHS VCRs, DVD decks and SD Memory Card support."

i.Link is, I presume the 1394 interface. It looks like DVD players from Panasonic will have an i-Link output.

Is this as good as SDI? Will we notice a difference? Should we wait?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Norde,

This is very interesting news - not so much for the mix and match packaging of the products, but for the pricing.

If this is representative of US MSRPs, then without the Japanese receiver that latest technology 50" unit could be priced at about $10k! Unless there is a sizeable discrepancy between pricing in Japan and the US (forum members in Japan had mentioned similar prices in the past for the Panny) then we might be oogling discounted street prices under $7K for a top flight 50 incher. :)

No crime in dreaming, right?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.